Trek 100 ride report
I completed a metric century last Saturday in the Trek 100 ride, which is my longest ride yet. Lance Armstrong was there, but I didn't get a chance to say hi
I just didn't have enough prep time to try the full 100 miles, and I'm glad I didn't try for two reasons:
1) I finished at noon, and by 3 PM or so the tornado warnings and severe storms started to roll in (didn't stop for two days) - I believe they cleared the course before all riders finished. The morning was beautiful, although hot, humid, and a tad breezy.
2) I started cramping up in my calves during the last 10 miles, to the point that I had to stop twice to stretch, and took it fairly easy for the final miles.
This was my first experience in a large group ride, and I did average about 1 mph faster than in my normal training. Although I drank a ton and ate a bit at each rest stop, I'm thinking that the cramping was probably more nutrition related than anything else - will have to work on that before riding a century in the fall. Overall, it was a lot of fun!!
- I was amazed by the amount of food they offered and at one stop they had full sub sandwiches - I couldn't imagine packing away that much and riding another 30 miles.
- The start was supposed to be at 7:30, I got there at 7:00, and passed the start line around 8:00.
- Did I mention that it was fun?