Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Neighbor Makes Progress with Bicycling

My Neighbor Makes Progress with Bicycling

My neighbor and his wife, both in their 60's, started bicycling several months ago.

She has a lung disease, and has limited breathing capacity. He has gout in his feet, and has a time doing long walks.

He had a X Mart bike that he keeps in pretty good shape. Last winter, he borrowed an extra trainer from me, and they both used it. Then he bought a trainer of his own.

He bought his wife a new bike for her birthday - a very low top tube (in fact, there is literally no top tube, just a "U"). A NEXT - to him it was a great big purchase. No gears, just a single speed.

They started doing one and two mile rides.

I talked to him this morning, and they are now doing SEVEN mile rides.

It is SO GREAT seeing the wife out on the trail, because for many years, she could not get out due to her lung condition.

So, seven miles is a HUGE accomplishment for them, and I told him so. He beamed.

It's all relative.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know of several with Medical problems that have improved with exercise- but never been able to get them to ride. Lung and feet problems do not seem to be the best illness's to exercise with so let them know What the next stage of their 50+ riding will be . If they can get up to 7 miles in just a few months- Then late September should be the date of their Ride their age Ride. But as they are newbies- we will accept a metric equivalent.

Send our "Well dones" to them for us.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't it amazing how people progress in this sport/hobby/passion with a little perserverance? Our bike club has 130 members, with 40-50 riding every MWF. Some do 50-70 miles. Some a slow, flat 10 miles, with several stops. But we all meet in the parking lot at the same time. The 10 milers might get some tips from the hot shots. The middle shots encourage others to join them for 30 miles. Because I live in a 55+ community, there is much talk about how cycling has increased the value of lives. Kudos to your neighbors, and to you for helping them get started.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades