Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got blown away by 2 ladies today

While doing loops of Prospect Park, my most frequent ride by far, I got blown away 2 different times by 2 different 20 something girls. And the funny thing was the conversation was exactly the same both times.

Me, as I speed up to catch her: "Do you race?" They were both doing a steady 22+ on the flats without a tailwind or a draft! Neither looked like the racer type, nor had race worthy bikes (A Lemond and a Giant TCR C2, not bad but not racing bikes)

Her: "no, but I'm training for a Triathlon, how about you?"

Me: "No, I'm getting too old for that. I bought the bike as a 50th bday present for myself"

Her: "I hope I'm still going like that at 50." And then I realize I can barely breath keeping up with them. And they drop me.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the feeling!

I'm a slow'ish rider, and am slower on my bent than my other bikes. Today I was on a dirt/gravel rail trail on the bent. So I expect to be passed & don't care much about that.

However most of the time on rail trails, I pass several more people than what pass me. Today was different, I was on a different trail and the riders were fitter & riding nicer bikes than what I usually see. I think I passed four riders and was passed at least 18-20 times.

Two of the passes were by the same woman. A 30-something, somewhat overweight woman riding a hybrid. She blew past me twice, once on my way out and again on my way back. She was clipping along at what I'd estimate at 14-15 like it was nothing.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got passed by a woman towing a kiddie trailer on a local bike trail last year. She was doing at least 18 mph on a level stretch, riding a hybrid! Very nicely muscled young woman!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    I got passed by a woman towing a kiddie trailer on a local bike trail last year. She was doing at least 18 mph on a level stretch, riding a hybrid! Very nicely muscled young woman!
    I find that having a nice song in mind helps my speed and endurance. In the case of this thread, Queen's song Breakthrough might be appropriate: "if I could only reach you, that would really be a breakthrough".

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happens on occasion. I'd like to think I'm macho speed racer, but that's not reality, and there's lots of reasonably fit women that can ride circles around me. That's okay, I'll just keep pedaling.
    "be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me about a month ago. Completely smoked by a very strong, fit young woman on a long, winding downhill. She just blew by me. I caught up with her at the bottom - as she was on her way up for another run. Teach me...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have literally dozens of top women riders around here.

They blow by the guys all the time.

Heck, just about everyone blows by me, come to think of it!

So far, I haven't been passed by any kids on tricycles, though.

Knock on wood!

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with getting passed by a cute girl, I would much rather look at the back of a girl then a guy that's for sure.....
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
    That speed must have been pretty entertaining for the child in the back.

My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    Neither looked like the racer type, nor had race worthy bikes (A Lemond and a Giant TCR C2, not bad but not racing bikes)
    WTF! I guess no one ever told me that my TCR wasn't "race worthy".

Someone should tell Giant that their race geometry bikes aren't race worthy.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox View Post
    We have literally dozens of top women riders around here. ...
    Same here. I hold my own on Coast Highway 101, passing about the same number of cyclists (men and women) that pass me. The local elite cyclists and triathletes are far faster than I ever was, but I have always been more into long slow distance and climbing than sprinting, sustained or otherwise.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Monday night shop ride I do attracts a lot of women racers. Billed as a recovery ride, their recovery pace gives me a real workout.

Last Sunday I was really feeling my oats. Told the group I was riding with I'd wait for them, then took off. Ten miles down the road I was cranking along in the low 20s and was absolutely smoked by a chick on a Cannondale. Nice looker too. Orange with black trim and components...
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    She was clipping along at what I'd estimate at 14-15 like it was nothing.
    It IS nothing!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The women I ride with are all mountain goats. When we climb I think it's sweet if they slow down and ride with me. Yesterday we did a ride with 8500 feet of climbing and Valleygirl (who is older than me) dropped me big time. She's too much, she doesn't even realize what a great climber she is.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRacer View Post
    WTF! I guess no one ever told me that my TCR wasn't "race worthy".

Someone should tell Giant that their race geometry bikes aren't race worthy.
    You're probably right on that count. I've been on them myself and they are nice bikes, so make that one not race worthy, and the other a decent race bike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zacster View Post
    You're probably right on that count. I've been on them myself and they are nice bikes, so make that one not race worthy, and the other a decent race bike.
    I think it is HIGH TIME we stopped insulting the bicycles on this forum.

(A Lemond owner)

If we are not careful, the bicycles will all be taking a leave of absence.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-15-08 at 09:25 AM.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was "chicked" many times over the past week on BRAG. Among the hundreds of riders that passed me, several were women. Most were very fit and riding in pacelines, but some were just riding along at a faster pace than I was at the time. On the final day as I was nursing a sore knee and a dying bottom bracket, I was passed by lots of people of many levels of fitness on all kinds of bikes.

The great thing about BRAG is that throughout the week as I averaged 14.5 to 16 mph each day, I was passed by hundreds and I passed thousands of people.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

I keep hitting <Escape>, but I'm still here!
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek Madone 6.5 w/SRAM Red
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On an MS150 ride a few years ago, with about 8-10 miles left to go, I was passed by someone on a tall
    unicycle. (going uphill)

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_boy View Post
    On an MS150 ride a few years ago, with about 8-10 miles left to go, I was passed by someone on a tall
    unicycle. (going uphill)
    That was a thread ender, right there....holy cow. Top that, boys.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see a problem, I see opportunity.

I kind of enjoy the view from back here.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The view would have been good, except I lost sight of them.

One of them drafted behind me for about a minute, but instead of getting behind her to take a turn I rode beside her. That's when she dropped me. I generally don't draft in the park as there are too many places where people cross and I want a clear view of them.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few years ago, there was a series of Ladies World Cup races in the Eastern Townships of Quebec where we have a cottage. Late one afternoon I was out on my old steelie, cranking up a hill when one of the racers out on a little training run blew by me at the most astounding speed going up hill. The delightful part, aside from the visual treat of this beautifully fit, spandex clad 20-something, was the fact that as she passed she actually smiled and said, "hello." Made my day. ...Sigh.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't let it bother you. According to some of the other forums all racers are doping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My views do not represent this forum, are my very own and written with a smirk on my face. I am not a member of any core group or clique, just did my longest ride of 64+ miles and feeling pretty darn good (endorphins). I have now realized that any road with the word "gap" in it involves a hill/mountain and my new mantra is "Embrace the climb."

I do not understand the "ladies" point of this post. You got smoked by two riders. For me, "20 something" is more important than gender. Title IX should speak to that issue and many of us experienced the equity attemps at the inception of that legislation.

50+ is the new 30+. Go for it, even if you are a gentleman!

Don't forget I am smirking while writing and am not the least bit torqued about it!
    Last edited by aqua4her; 06-15-08 at 01:34 PM.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if you edited your thread title by a word or two you would get much more traffic on this thread. Maybe even some pictures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast