Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Sweat in Eyes? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/429904-sweat-eyes.html)

bing181 06-14-08 11:17 PM

Sweat in Eyes?

Wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for keeping sweat out of your eyes. Or my eyes. I do "event" type rides, often with serious climbing. Once I start working up a sweat (literally) on a longer or harder climb, the sweat runs down into my eyes to such an extent that I have to stop and wipe it off/out because I simply can't see anymore. This all complicated by the fact that I wear glasses, so can't simply reach up and mop sweat away.

Have tried headbands under helmet, but they just get sopping wet, and eventually all that starts running down my face. Best short term solution is to take off my helmet .. said helmet being a high end light, breathable mode ... but it's not ideal.

Suggestions appreciated.

B

420Welder 06-15-08 04:26 AM

I wear a welding hat under the helmet. Or you could try a dew rag or skull cap.

Al.canoe 06-15-08 05:53 AM

I wear glasses and got sweat on my glasses and in the eyes. I solved it with the Pearl Izumi sweat band. It's ultra thin so it doesn't block any ventillation through the helmet.

The things work even in July/August here in N Florida (mountain biking) as long as you keep moving and get some airflow.

I would croak with a skull cap.

Al

rodrigaj 06-15-08 05:57 AM

Search:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=427446

Garfield Cat 06-15-08 07:30 AM

There are a few products. One is the Sweat Gutter. Not all bike shops carry it.

Retro Grouch 06-15-08 07:31 AM

I sweat quite a bit. I've fought sweat in my eyes for years.

My current strategy is two sweat bands. I wear one and hang the alternate from my saddle rails. On a warm sunny day the alternate will dry before the one on my head becomes so saturated that it starts dripping into my eyes.

BluesDawg 06-15-08 07:53 AM

I just spent a week of riding 60 to 105 miles per day with temps hitting low to high 90s each day without once having sweat drip in my eyes. I wore a bandanna on my head and at each rest stop I rinsed out the sweat and let the water cool my head. Anything will eventually saturate with sweat on a really hot day, so you need to wring it out occasionally if you aren't stopping.

screenwasher 06-15-08 08:08 AM

My wife had the same problem and I got her this headband from REI last month. She is very happy with it so far, even on 40-50 mile rides. With the summer almost here, I am planning to get one myself on my next trip to a REI. Here are a couple of relevant links.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=halo...=9&button.y=11
http://www.roadcycling.com/cgi-bin/a...view.cgi/4/799

BigBlueToe 06-15-08 11:17 AM

I wore headbands for years. You could buy a pack of 3 from Performance for not much money. Over the years I've lost most of my hair on top and started to worry about the sun coming through the vent holes and sunburning my scalp. I don't really want to put sunscreen in my remaining hair, so now I wear those headscarves. They keep the sweat off my face in the bargain. I look pretty silly when I take my helmet, like I'm trying to look like a pirate, but I don't care much about what I look like. I wear my bike shorts in public, so adding the pirate scarf isn't a big deal. I like CoolMax Headsweats. They're stupidly expensive for what you get ($19 for a tiny bit of fabric and a stretch headband?) but sometimes they're on sale, and I figure three is all I need. I don't see them wearing out too quickly.

phinney 06-15-08 11:48 AM

You could try a sanitary napkin. They are incredibly absorbent and even come with an adhesive strip.

John E 06-15-08 01:06 PM

Thanks to everyone for this thread. "Sweat gets in [my] eyes."

BillK 06-15-08 03:03 PM

I bought one of these and now won't ride without one on...

Halo Headbands

Retro Grouch 06-15-08 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by BillK (Post 6886346)
I bought one of these and now won't ride without one on...

Halo Headbands

I've got a couple of those. For me they work for a little longer than a conventional sweatband but eventually they too start to drip into my eyes. Hence the two sweat band strategy.

Garfield Cat 06-15-08 09:56 PM

Two sweatband sounds good. Another consideration is to bring a small towel and tuck it in your shorts partially hanging out. That towel is going to be like a face towel when you are at a stop that has a water fountain.

bobbycorno 06-16-08 12:40 PM

As one who perspires profusely, this has long been an issue for me. Headbands weren't enough, skullcaps and bandanas just made my head hotter, then I stumbled across Halo headbands. Sort of a cross between the sweat gutter and a normal headband, there's a silicone rubber strip across the forehead section that channels the sweat over to your temples and lets it trickle down from there. I still perspire profusely, but little or none of it ends up in my eyes. :thumb:

Scott P
Bend, OR

swan652 06-16-08 01:33 PM

I wear glasses and sweat a lot. I used to always have sweat running down my glasses while I was riding and then when I took my helmet off it was like a waterfall. Last year I started wearing a skull cap/ beanie (or whatever they're called) and the problem has been 95% eliminated. I don't think they make my head feel hotter than before and (also) it's not as irritating when a bug flies into my helmet.

bing181 06-16-08 02:18 PM

A Headband then

Thanks all. Will look into the Halo band.

I have a nice band already (Agu bike band), but I still find that after a while, it gets drenched, and sweat gets in my eyes.

But seems the way to go, will persevere.

B

rodrigaj 06-16-08 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by bing181 (Post 6891616)
Thanks all. Will look into the Halo band.

I have a nice band already (Agu bike band), but I still find that after a while, it gets drenched, and sweat gets in my eyes.

But seems the way to go, will persevere.

B

Halo's don't work if you are a heavy sweater. I have halo's, sweat gutr, headsweats, caps. I've tried them all.

Save your money, and go with the plain headbands as Retro Grouch suggested.

Allegheny Jet 06-18-08 10:46 AM

Head bands did not work for me, as soon as they got wet, they would drip onto my glasses. This spring I got a cotton cyclist cap that has a "terry band" inside. I wear it turned around so the bill is toward the back of my head and under my helmet. The sweat works it's way to the back and drips off the bill. To date I have not had sweat running onto my sungalsses while riding.

Cone Wrench 06-18-08 11:25 AM

Grow your eyebrows out.

Al.canoe 06-18-08 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by rodrigaj (Post 6892574)
Halo's don't work if you are a heavy sweater. I have halo's, sweat gutr, headsweats, caps. I've tried them all.

Save your money, and go with the plain headbands as Retro Grouch suggested.

I had that problem with the Halo.

Al

az_cyclist 06-18-08 11:45 AM

HeadSweats head bands have always worked well for me

Timtruro 06-18-08 01:56 PM

:lol:

Originally Posted by phinney (Post 6885401)
You could try a sanitary napkin. They are incredibly absorbent and even come with an adhesive strip.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

borgagain 06-19-08 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cone Wrench (Post 6902077)
Grow your eyebrows out.

I did. Now how do I keep the eyebrows out of my eyes?

jens5 06-19-08 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by az_cyclist (Post 6902217)
HeadSweats head bands have always worked well for me

Ditto!