Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Shoes for platform pedals.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-16-08, 01:57 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

This is a blatent unabashed product shill. Some of you have been looking at platform pedals again and some have asked about bike shoes for the same.

I have up till now used the 2 entry level Shimano sport MTB shoes (laces not velcro) in the XX-020/21/22 family and the XX-038/039/etc family. I also have had cleats for MTB pedals on those shoes. They allow you to walk around just fine, no duckwalking, slipping or whatever at the cafe or wherever you choose to stop along the ride to smell the roses. They have a very stiff sole for transfering power to the pedals without leaving you feet open to pain. They are well rockered (curve of sole upward at toes so the foot can roll forward when walking). They also work well on platform pedals without cleats.

Now to the list I can add the 661 brand "Launch" shoe. It is a stiff soled sport bicycle shoe that looks a little like a pair of Van's sneakers. Good on the bike with platform pedals, good stiff sole but with very little rocker so you bounce up on to your toes more when walking. They have no provision for cleat mounting and they are very inexpensive.

Costs less..........works good.

That is all........we now return you to your regular program of faffing.
Old 06-16-08, 02:06 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I'm not surprised 661 makes a good platform pedal shoe. Their main market is BMX riders, a group who strongly eschews clipless. Still, nice to hear a review from a non-BMXer.
Old 06-16-08, 02:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've used several different hiking shoes with platform pedals with no problems at all. My Merrell Mesa Ventilators work wonderfully. And my New Balance Country Hikers work just as well. Both of these have stiffer soles than typical all-purpose sneakers. Have used both on rides of 3 to 6 hours (saddle time).

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-16-08, 03:13 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I heartily agree with maddmax! The SixSixOne Launch was my first 'serious' platform pedal shoe; and they have take the severe beating of five downhill racing seasons without a whimper. The Dually shoes are even better - - if you feel the need for the extra ankle support of a mid-high shoe. Plus, if you want even more grip, each model comes in a 'Taki' rubber version that uses a super-grippy rubber compound.
Old 06-16-08, 03:24 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Here they are on sale for $34 at the Motorcycle Superstore of all places.

Linkie

I have such a hard time with cycling shoes. If they're laced, the laces get caught in the toestraps. If they're regular cycling shoes, the stupid velcro won't pass the cage.
Old 06-16-08, 03:37 PM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
I heartily agree with maddmax! The SixSixOne Launch was my first 'serious' platform pedal shoe; and they have take the severe beating of five downhill racing seasons without a whimper. The Dually shoes are even better - - if you feel the need for the extra ankle support of a mid-high shoe. Plus, if you want even more grip, each model comes in a 'Taki' rubber version that uses a super-grippy rubber compound.
I did not know that the "Taki" ment something special on my shoes. This is however a classic example of multimedia cycling. Downhill MG-1 pedals, BMX shoes on a TT road bike being setup for Beach Road riding on vacation around lots of jaywalking tourists........................ and it all comes together just right for the occasion.

Who said you couldn't cross forum lines.
Old 06-16-08, 03:52 PM
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
I have such a hard time with cycling shoes. If they're laced, the laces get caught in the toestraps.
There are two very slick cures for this - - and both came from my desire to find easy on/off lacing for duathlons. One is Yankz. They are an elastic-lace system that leaves no tag-ends to get caught in things. The other is Snuglocs. They arent elastic, but they work like a draw-cord with a spring-loaded lock, then you tuck the enclosed lace-end under your toe-end cross-lace. They're a bit more economical than Yankz too. I have both and I actually prefer the Snuglocs.; but they're hard to find, now that my REI does not carry them any more.
Old 06-16-08, 05:36 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
dminor!!!! Thanks!!!!! That looks like a great solution!
Old 06-16-08, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Snakes by Geox. They keep your feet dry, too. bk