Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

London to Brighton.

Not much of a report but ride done and a few pics. 5.30am start from home and we got to the start just after 7. 18 in the group and is the contingent from The Local Council. Team name- which was very apt- was "Wealden Wobblers". Unloaded and onto the start lane(s). Pic of the jersey And of the Lanes- before you get to the start line. Bit crowded as you can see. This is not a serious ride- and some foolhardy souls think that 54 miles is an occasion for dressing up- as you can see from the girls. Nothing to do with me or my group but I thought they were balmy enough to show you the typical riders we get on this ride. (Complete Lunatics).

There are quite a few stoppages on this ride on the country lanes- and this was one of the traffic jams. Looking forward- and back. No accident this time- it was to allow some semblance of normality for the Car drivers that wanted to travel the same roads as 33,000 bikes. With that number of bikes- the roads are crowded. No chance of any real speed but a shot of one section of clearish road up a slope.You can see the nimbers of riders as this shot covers about 1/4 mile of road. And on those slopes- you get walkers up the minutest of uphill.

Now the one thing most dread on this ride is Ditchling beacon. The village of Ditchling is at the base of the South Downs and is very picturesque. But then there is the hill. I thought it was a 10% average for a mile and that is what it is----BUT- it is an old Stagecoach road and there are Flat areas to give the Horses a rest up the Extreme hill. So if it is an average of 10% with many flat bits in it- This hill in places is steep. It is at mile 45ish on the graph- and the Over 30 % bit is an anomoly that I can understand. I got knocked off By another rider and It caused the anomoly. While I was recovering- took a shot of the Walkers and of the riders. Quite a surprising number riding it this year- but perhaps the walkers had not got to it yet.

So ride done in a ride time of 4hours 10 minutes- but that does not include the Pit stops for traffic or the coffee I manged once. 2,865ft of climbing- and on a distance of 54 miles.

Incidentally- Got to Brighton and rest of the wealden Wobblers were phoned to find out how long they would be. It was going to be a long day for them as the had only just got over halfway. So me Martyn and Mike went home.

Edit addition--Those T shirts worn by the "Wobblers" is a colour that stood out a mile. Perhaps because no-one else was brave enough to wear it but you could definitely pick out the team. And on the regional new tonight- there was an item about the L to B ride. They show one or two riders and there was Martyn- sitting on the Curb relaxing drinking a bottle of water. Had 4 people phone me up to say "Did you see it" and Yes I did.

Extra edit- Martyn on the TV- is also eating an egg mayonaise Baguette. No wonder he puts on weight on rides. And the rest of the Wobblers came in 4 hours after me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 06-15-08 at 02:23 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. That guy in the 50+ jersey looks like about the only serious rider in the whole group. 54 miles is a hefty ride, even without the hills. I am often amazed at the people who think they can ride once a year in street clothes on their knobby tires carry an extra bowling ball or two. I've had experience with folks hopping off their bikes at the slightest incline, hopping off without warning. But I guess any cyclist is a good cyclist, huh?

Fun pics Stap, We definitely get the flavor of the event.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do all those people get back to London?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    How do all those people get back to London?
    Bone of contention---It used to be possible to buy a ticket for the train on this one day a year- to get you and your bike to London. That is no longer possible as Bikes are banned on the trains now. Lots of "Private" arrangements like our group today- Bus or coach for the riders and truck for the Bikes. Get dropped off in the morning and then a 2 hour drive for the transport to Brighton for after the event. ----Except- the drivers have to know routes that do not entail going anywhere near the cycle route. It can be a 4 hour ride- but a truck would take 6 hours on the same route.

And for smaller groups and Individuals- Transport can be pre- booked. Bus for you and truck for the Bike. This used to be done with Royal Mail providing the trucks- and London Transport providing the buses. One truck and the riders in the bus that follows it all the way. Except there were 20 odd trucks and buses.

And for those fortunate enough to live near to Brighton- You ride home. We rode 5 miles out on the way home to a pre-arranged spot where the wife met us.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting your Garmin plot is in miles and feet. From your spanner thread a while back I though you werre pretty ensconced in metrics. Looks like a great ride.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a fun ride. I loved the ladies riding outfits
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith