User Tag List

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Wife Almost Joined Club Tombay Today

I've been easing my wife into this whole cycling thing. At the beginning of the year she was riding a comfort bike with platform pedals. Step by step I moved her to clips and straps; then to an old road bike; then padded shorts and jerseys; then her new Fuji road bike. But she drew the line at clipless!

So we were hitting the thrift stores yesterday looking for props for a play my sons are in (and I'm looking for bikes or bike stuff) and I come across a pair of brand new Shimano SPD SL cycling shoes in my wife's size for $18. She tried them on and they were a perfect fit. When we got home I took a pair of M520s I had laying around and mounted them on her Fuji. I had a new set of cleats in my tool box so those were mounted on the shoes. We had ridden in the morning and she didn't feel like heading back out so the test ride would have to wait.

Got her up bright and early and had to practice clipping and unclipping a bunch of times. Once she was somewhat comfortable, we headed out. I rode behind her to keep an eye on her progress and she was doing great. Made several stops and she unclipped and clipped in fine. Then, she came to a stop and unclipped the right foot and leaned left. I was behind her and could only watch as she started to go down. At the last possible moment, she got her left foot out and down to catch herself.

Once her heart rate slowed a bit, we continued on for a leasurely 12 miles and she didn't have any more problems. When we returned home, she even admitted that clipless made the riding feel effortless. The transformation is complete. I think we'll have to get some pie!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like a lot of trouble to go through just to get your wife to fall over.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took the clipless pedals off my commuter/road bike in the fall of 2006 so I could ride in winter boots, and I've never bothered to replace them. I hardly notice the difference.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So shes not a member of the club- Only an aspiring one. Now when she does pay her membership dues- we will require pics of the Event. No necesiity for close ups of the ripped shorts- or the blood- but we would like to have proof that she has not rammed her new shoes and pedals where they may never see the light of day again.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So she 'almost' fell for you....again. that is a nice love story. Glad you can enjoy together. keep up the good work. peace

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a week or so, we might be treated to "the rest of the (unfolding) story."
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post