Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-08, 03:49 PM   #1
Aikidoka

Bikes: One at a time these days
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The one(s) that got away...

I remember certain bikes in my life that were either benchmarks and/or catalysts to my budding obsession in biking (mainly road). All of these are long gone, yet not in memory. At least one I would love to still have.

My first new (and super cool) bike (age 7-8?)-Schwinn Fastback 5sp Stingray definitely the catalyst to many more bikes to come.
My first real road bike-Rudge with shop parts swap...and a Stronglight cottlerless crank (my first).
MY JP Weigle custom-still in my memory as the most beautiful bike I can imagine. A miracle I had something to do with its aesthetic outcome. I miss this bike, it was a timeless piece of art by Peter and Betsy Weigle, it rode great, it became a part of me and I earned every nick/scrape/ding on it the hard way.

I have no boundaries for where anyone wants to take this thread..Lets call it a sentimental journey for those old enough to have some interesting ones!!!

k
Aikidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 05:48 PM   #2
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It didn't get away. It's still there in my heart. It was the bicycle on which I first pedaled too far.

1960 Fleetwing. Aluminum fenders, headlight, rack, basket and skinny street slicks. My first commuter/utility bike. The apple hasn't fallen far from the tree.

Oh, the indignities I put it through. Ape hanger handle bars, rear Wald baskets, modified the seat with pliers, painted it with yellow house paint, and then finally after 4 years of abuse, it disappeared out of the school bicycle rack.

I guess it ran away. That or somebody wanted the ape-hanger handlebars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 06-15-08 at 05:52 PM.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:23 PM   #3
Aikidoka

Bikes: One at a time these days
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That photo and look into the world of your youth. Honestly...brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you...

k
Aikidoka is offline   Reply With Quote