Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-15-08, 04:41 PM   #1
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did a good thing, I think

[Warning: This is long.]

Today. coming home from my regular ride, I passed through a pretty fancy neighborhood. It was "big item pick up day," the weekend you can put almost anything out on the curb and the city will haul it away for free. Of course, I was checking out the trash piles as I rode by, but was going just too fast to dive for anything that might have been a "must have." In one pile I saw an almost perfect Nishiki road bike from the early 80s. It was a carbon copy of the one I had at the time, but it was blue with gold pinstriping (mine was BRG with copper). It had the original group still on it and the same crumby reflectors it came with. Even the front sprocket guard was perfect. I slammed on the brakes, hung a U, and picked it up. It was covered with dust (probably hadn't even been thought about in years) and had the original gum walls on it (flat, naturally). i really wanted that bike, but couldn't figure out how to get it home. Just then a kid, maybe 16, driving a pretty beat up Jeep Wrangler, stopped on the other side of the road. He jumped out of the Jeep, ran across the road, and said he had seen the bike while going the other way and turned around to get it. Well... I had my hands on it and, as far as I was concerned, it was mine. But then I thought, "Here I am with a pretty decent bike that probably cost more than that Jeep, wearing enough lycra and gear to finance this kid's lunch money for the next three years, and I am going to argue over who gets the bike?" Besides, I could see he really wanted the bike too. He was kind of chubby, and his face was just plain innocent. I told him I had the exact bike in the 80's (before he was born...), thought all he would need to do was change the tubes and tires, lube everything, clean and wax the he11 out of it, re-tape the bars, and he would have a pretty good bike. He said, "awesome - I really want a bike like that and I want to ride it until I get good." That did it. I caved and said, "Take it! Get it out of here quick. If you didn't come along I would have walked home with it." He said, "Hey, thanks man!" grabbed the bike and took off.

That felt good.

Last edited by Rober; 06-15-08 at 04:48 PM.
Rober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 04:45 PM   #2
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think you did good. Hopefully the young man will get a lot of use and enjoyment from the bike

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 04:56 PM   #3
Rober

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
I think you did good. Hopefully the young man will get a lot of use and enjoyment from the bike
You know, all sorts of cynical things went through my head on the way home (was he really going to ride it?, sell it for drugs?, spray paint it flat black, put small wheels on it, and turn it into a rad bike?, bash the cr@p out of it, etc, etc). But it really doesn't matter what he does with it. My nostalgia is my baggage, not his...
Old 06-15-08, 04:57 PM   #4
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Totally agree, You for sure did the right thing, no doubt.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 05:50 PM   #5
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
You did the right thing.

But don't expect any good karma from it. I did a nice thing for someone the other day, and the very next day not only did I have to pay $300 for a repair to my car, but when I got on my bike to ride to the auto repair shop to get my car, I had a flat. And I had left my wedge bag, with spare tube, in my car.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:02 PM   #6
geofitz13

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite
Karma or no karma, ya done good.
geofitz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:09 PM   #7
dvs cycles

Bikes:
Wait until you see it on E-bay.
dvs cycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:33 PM   #8
Aikidoka

Bikes: One at a time these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs cycles View Post
Wait until you see it on E-bay.
LOL

What you did was truly honorable and in the quantum-chaos theory of it all....it WILL come back to you!
Aikidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:56 PM   #9
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Bikes:
Three cheers ----- yeah ya done real good. Lp
Spinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 07:07 PM   #10
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
You did the right thing.

But don't expect any good karma from it. I did a nice thing for someone the other day, and the very next day not only did I have to pay $300 for a repair to my car, but when I got on my bike to ride to the auto repair shop to get my car, I had a flat. And I had left my wedge bag, with spare tube, in my car.

Oooooh. Don't double guess Karma. You could have had a $1500 bill and 2 flats, but you didn't. Karma?
Old 06-15-08, 07:15 PM   #11
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro

Good job, R!

Feeling satisfied by doing the right thing -- priceless.
Red Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 07:20 PM   #12
richjac

Bikes: '05 Giant OCR1
Yes, you did a good thing - regardless of what he does with the bike.
richjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 07:36 PM   #13
Rober

I didn't think of the EBay part... See? I guess I've become so hardened against good outcomes - or at least genuinely virtuous good ones. I'm not really looking for "credit" here, karmacly speaking, but I am also just now appreciating the synchronistic nature of the whole thing. A Nishiki, just like the one I had, being the centerpiece of my realization that what I have is all that I really "need," and what someone else wants can be so easily achieved if I forget about what I think I "need" or "want." I know there's a lesson here somewhere. Maybe its that I have exactly what I need because if I really needed that Nishiki I wouldn't have sold mine at a garage sale in 1991 in the first place!
Old 06-16-08, 04:25 AM   #14
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough
Good job , santa will make a 'good deed done' in his book today.
Old 06-16-08, 07:41 AM   #15
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom

Bikes:
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
You did great!! That kid knew that the bike was yours and the way you handed it over to him is something he is going to remember. He said that he is going to ride it until he gets good - that means he is just starting and you contributed to another person getting into the wonderful world of cycling. Kudos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 11:11 AM   #16
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
dvs beat me to the ebay remark, but I still think you did good.
Bud Bent is offline   Reply With Quote