My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a good thing, I think

[Warning: This is long.]

Today. coming home from my regular ride, I passed through a pretty fancy neighborhood. It was "big item pick up day," the weekend you can put almost anything out on the curb and the city will haul it away for free. Of course, I was checking out the trash piles as I rode by, but was going just too fast to dive for anything that might have been a "must have." In one pile I saw an almost perfect Nishiki road bike from the early 80s. It was a carbon copy of the one I had at the time, but it was blue with gold pinstriping (mine was BRG with copper). It had the original group still on it and the same crumby reflectors it came with. Even the front sprocket guard was perfect. I slammed on the brakes, hung a U, and picked it up. It was covered with dust (probably hadn't even been thought about in years) and had the original gum walls on it (flat, naturally). i really wanted that bike, but couldn't figure out how to get it home. Just then a kid, maybe 16, driving a pretty beat up Jeep Wrangler, stopped on the other side of the road. He jumped out of the Jeep, ran across the road, and said he had seen the bike while going the other way and turned around to get it. Well... I had my hands on it and, as far as I was concerned, it was mine. But then I thought, "Here I am with a pretty decent bike that probably cost more than that Jeep, wearing enough lycra and gear to finance this kid's lunch money for the next three years, and I am going to argue over who gets the bike?" Besides, I could see he really wanted the bike too. He was kind of chubby, and his face was just plain innocent. I told him I had the exact bike in the 80's (before he was born...), thought all he would need to do was change the tubes and tires, lube everything, clean and wax the he11 out of it, re-tape the bars, and he would have a pretty good bike. He said, "awesome - I really want a bike like that and I want to ride it until I get good." That did it. I caved and said, "Take it! Get it out of here quick. If you didn't come along I would have walked home with it." He said, "Hey, thanks man!" grabbed the bike and took off.

That felt good.
    Last edited by Rober; 06-15-08 at 04:48 PM.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you did good. Hopefully the young man will get a lot of use and enjoyment from the bike
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I think you did good. Hopefully the young man will get a lot of use and enjoyment from the bike
    You know, all sorts of cynical things went through my head on the way home (was he really going to ride it?, sell it for drugs?, spray paint it flat black, put small wheels on it, and turn it into a rad bike?, bash the cr@p out of it, etc, etc). But it really doesn't matter what he does with it. My nostalgia is my baggage, not his...

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally agree, You for sure did the right thing, no doubt.

Rick / OCRR

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did the right thing.

But don't expect any good karma from it. I did a nice thing for someone the other day, and the very next day not only did I have to pay $300 for a repair to my car, but when I got on my bike to ride to the auto repair shop to get my car, I had a flat. And I had left my wedge bag, with spare tube, in my car.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karma or no karma, ya done good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait until you see it on E-bay.

My Bikes
    One at a time these days
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvs cycles View Post
    Wait until you see it on E-bay.
    LOL

What you did was truly honorable and in the quantum-chaos theory of it all....it WILL come back to you!

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Three cheers ----- yeah ya done real good. Lp

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    You did the right thing.

But don't expect any good karma from it. I did a nice thing for someone the other day, and the very next day not only did I have to pay $300 for a repair to my car, but when I got on my bike to ride to the auto repair shop to get my car, I had a flat. And I had left my wedge bag, with spare tube, in my car.

Oooooh. Don't double guess Karma. You could have had a $1500 bill and 2 flats, but you didn't. Karma?

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job, R!

Feeling satisfied by doing the right thing -- priceless.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    '05 Giant OCR1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, you did a good thing - regardless of what he does with the bike.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't think of the EBay part... See? I guess I've become so hardened against good outcomes - or at least genuinely virtuous good ones. I'm not really looking for "credit" here, karmacly speaking, but I am also just now appreciating the synchronistic nature of the whole thing. A Nishiki, just like the one I had, being the centerpiece of my realization that what I have is all that I really "need," and what someone else wants can be so easily achieved if I forget about what I think I "need" or "want." I know there's a lesson here somewhere. Maybe its that I have exactly what I need because if I really needed that Nishiki I wouldn't have sold mine at a garage sale in 1991 in the first place!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job , santa will make a 'good deed done' in his book today.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You did great!! That kid knew that the bike was yours and the way you handed it over to him is something he is going to remember. He said that he is going to ride it until he gets good - that means he is just starting and you contributed to another person getting into the wonderful world of cycling. Kudos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dvs beat me to the ebay remark, but I still think you did good.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.