User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour de Cure - Indy Speedway

Friday afternoon I drove to Indianapolis to join several BF members (one a moderator) to participate in the Tour de Cure. They had a couple road rides and the track was open to riders who wanted to attempt a century. The trip over was uneventful until about 30 miles east of Indy. All I could see was a sea of red taillights and a large plume of black smoke ahead of me. Fortunately it wasn't an accident and there were no injuries. It was a semi rig that had caught fire. I spent a little over an hour sitting in traffic while they put out the fire and cleared one lane for traffic.

Solveg was scheduled to join us but was unable. She still got a ride around the track. That's her taped to the front of P1jrevely's bike.

After loading up on pizza Friday night I arose early Saturday morning for the event. Our hotel was next door to the track so we rode our bikes the half mile. After checking in we were ready to line up on the track. Those doing the road ride left the track about half way around the track and headed off to the country. Here's the lineup on the track. I was in the middle when I took this picture.

The weather was perfect and I enjoyed meeting other BF members. There was Tom Stormcrowe, his wife Crazylady, TrekDen, Scummer, 10 Wheels, box of water, and JoeMetal. We had a fantastic photographer, Chad, who is box of water's brother. I know I've missed someone so forgive me if I left your name out....I'm old and forgetful

There was a time limit to the ride on the track and I knew there was no way I was going to complete a century in 6 hours. I had decided on a metric century but thought I should turn it into a "Ride my age" event. I finished at 1:00 with 67 miles. I really wanted to quit at 65 but I couldn't flag down the SAG truck to carry me back to the start I thought about riding until the 2:00 cutoff but lunch was more inviting 10 Wheels did a fantastic 94 miles!

My favorite part of the ride was the stretch of track at the starting line. It was great seeing the tower but the best part was the tailwinds in this stretch.

It was a great event. Well organized and lots of food. I especially enjoyed meeting other BF members and plan on doing it again. Maybe next year they'll give a couple more hours to finish that century
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Here's a few more images...

Bev

10wheels
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great day!

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, that looks like a good time. I will have to add it to next years to do list.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like it would be a good place to draft!
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Riding a few laps on the Indy track sounds like great fun. Those pics are wonderful. One person riding the Big Wheel bike, another riding a Sun EZ-3 trike (which is one of the most pedestrian bikes you can buy). Those show that the experience can be a thrill no matter what you are riding.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That person riding the trike is my wife,, crazylady. She just turned a couple of laps to break the monotony, as she was volunteering for the event.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody into the wall?