Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Specialized Sirrus Sport vs. Sirrus Comp?

So, in addition to my road bike, I've decided to get a flat-bar bike for neighborhood power/fitness riding.
    If you haven't tried one of these flat-bar bikes, you should, they're awesome! It is basically a road bike with flat handlebars and just a little upright geometry. These models both have carbon forks and seatstays!
    So, I was at the LBS and rode the Sirrus Sport, but wonder if the Sirrus Comp is worth the extra $370 bucks. They didn't have a Comp in the shop to try. I checked-the specs and there are only a few upgrades that I would be interested in, such as: better shifters, wheels, Zertz insert in handlebars, carbon-wrapped seatpost. Nothing I couldn't live without, but I'm all for buying right the first time, and don't want to regret not bumping up to the Comp.
    I am wondering if any of you have a Sirrus, and what you found in comparing the Sport with the Comp.
    I appreciate any info you might have.

Here is the link for comparison info:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=32218

Thanks.

Slackerprince
    Last edited by Slackerprince; 06-15-08 at 11:21 PM.
    Shut up, everything

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ultimately you have to decide if the upgrades are worth the cost.

Do you sense any improvement in the ride from the extra carbon components? That's why I bumped up to a higher level bike when I purchased a flat bar road bike this spring, I could really feel the difference in the ride.

Wheel upgrades can certainly make a difference, this is a very important component. Hard to tell how much of an upgrade is here, given that they are using Specialized branded products.

The derailleurs and shifters are both better on the Comp. I certainly like better quality here. But you could potentially get these upgraded at the time of purchase for much less ... if you decide the above upgrades aren't worth it.

Better crankset and cassette too. The entire drivetrain of the Comp is of higher quality.

All in all, I can understand why the price difference is what it is. They aren't shafting you on the price.

If you can find an '07 Comp, that can be a better deal. The '07 actually had some better parts than the '08 model.

None of us know how much the extra $380 impacts your life. I'd say that if that amount isn't critical to you, and if you can feel a difference in the ride and smooth shifting, then I'd probably pop for it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^
    That's pretty good advice, and kind of the direction I'm leaning.
    BTW, the price difference is $370, I edited it in my post, just
    so people didn't think you got the math wrong. I originally posted
    it as $380 difference.
    Oops, and sorry.
    Thanks, Tom.

Slackerprince
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Comp, Devinci Santiago, Fisher Sugar 3+, Bianchi Ocelot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sirrus

Quote Originally Posted by Slackerprince View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^
    That's pretty good advice, and kind of the direction I'm leaning.
    BTW, the price difference is $370, I edited it in my post, just
    so people didn't think you got the math wrong. I originally posted
    it as $380 difference.
    Oops, and sorry.
    Thanks, Tom.

Slackerprince
    Wow..they really spec'd these bikes down a bit over the past few years! A friend of mine has the comp from about 3 years ago, and I believe it has an Ultegra rear derailluer, and some other nicer parts..BUT..his doesn't have the carbon rear. That being said, if you plan to ride the bike allot, I'd go for the added $380. The Sirrus is a nice bike and you'll enjoy it. I'm sure you can talk them down a little or grab up some accessories with the deal.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an extra 105 derailleur that I will be installing.
    You are right that they have down-graded the components on Specialized, and probably most major brands.
    My 05' Allez Elite had all 105.
    You don't see that anymore.

S.
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 months ago I went with a closeout special 2006 Fuji Absolute 1.0 flat bar road bike. It has carbon fork & seat stays, Truvativ GXP crank, 105-derailleurs and shifters. Got it for $799. None of the new '08 bikes even came close to it at $300-$500 more.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the bottom-line here is, that the 05-07 bikes were better in their component configurations. Brands have been dumbing-down their components to keep costs down, rather than raising the price of bikes. I can't imagine any real improvements in frames or any other aspect of newer bikes that make them better than the previous several years' models.
    So, the moral of the story is, get last year's model, at reduced price, with better components, and upgrade where necessary.

Slackerprince
    Shut up, everything

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    3 months ago I went with a closeout special 2006 Fuji Absolute 1.0 flat bar road bike. It has carbon fork & seat stays, Truvativ GXP crank, 105-derailleurs and shifters. Got it for $799. None of the new '08 bikes even came close to it at $300-$500 more.
    The spec on the Sirrus has gone down a lot over previous years. And no matter How much I rate the sirrus- I think you could now get better deals from other makes. The final choice will come from test riding so that is your next stage.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bike which has many of the same characteristics as the Sirrus Comp is the Trek 7.6 FX. They aren't identical and don't ride exactly the same, but they are similar. The component set & pricing n the '08 7.6 is favorable as compared to the Sirrus Comp.

The 7.6 FX has a 105 RD, Deore shifters, carbon fork, seat post & stays, and Wellgo dual-sided platform/clipless pedals for $1100 list. I've seen it below $1000.

Last year Specialized & Trek were very close on pricing, this year the Sirrus is more expensive and has arguably a bit lower level component set on it.

If I had not found the deal I described earlier on the Fuji, I would have gone with the 7.6.

My Bikes
    2007 Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was considering the Sirrus Sport, but also really liked the Giant FCR2. Tiagra compoents, and with bar ends!

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blewgo View Post
    I was considering the Sirrus Sport, but also really liked the Giant FCR2. Tiagra compoents, and with bar ends!
    I like Giants- and getting favourable comments from a few friends that bought them. The FCR2 has better wheels than the 3 (Which are not good) but overall- the FCR range is not bad- But like all other bikes- Test ride them first.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought/ordered the Sirrus Comp today. It should take a week to get here. I looked at all the others in the class, but only the Sirrus has Carbon Fiber seatstays. I think that is a huge feature. I also have an extra set of 105 derailleurs from upgrading my roadbike to Ultegra SL, that the shop will install as part of the deal. I am a Specialized fan, this is my third. First was a Rockhopper, second was my Allez Elite, now the Sirrus Comp. I will let you know what the review is. I am stoked, though.
    Thanks for all your opinions.
    Ultimately, competition is so steep with all the companies, that in the higher levels, you can't go wrong with your choice. It is all personal preference. I really liked how the Sirrus rides.
    BTW, I only rode the Sirrus Sport, as they had no Comps in stock, but I'm confident in the upgraded features. I am a big believer in buying right the first time to avoid upgrade frenzy.
    Thanks, again.

Slackerprince
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought/ordered the Sirrus Comp today. It should take a week to get here. I looked at all the others in the class, but only the Sirrus has Carbon Fiber seatstays. I think that is a huge feature.
    I hope it works well for you and believe that it will. There are many people who love their Sirrus bikes. We have a few Sirrus owners here in 50+.

I do want to point out that the Trek 7.6 FX is certainly in the same class as the Sirrus Comp and it does have carbon fiber seat stays, and at a lower price than the Comp. Just don't want anyone reading to get the wrong info.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/road/fx/76fx/

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang, Tom, you really know your bikes. When I looked at Trek, the shop had a lower level model 7.2 or whatever, and only in a 17, when I needed a 20. At that time, I wasn't considering breaking the $1000 mark, but later decided to bump up with the Specialized. I didn't consider the Trek again, because they only had the one 7.2 in the small size. I rode it anyway, and it seemed o.k., but if they had the 7.6 in stock, I definitely would have considered it more closely.
    Oh well, I'm pretty satisfied with my decision, and I really like Specialized.
    Also, the Trek shop did a 30 day, 6 month and year tuneup, but my Specialized shop did all those AND FREE LIFETIME adjustments! The Trek shop wasn't doing that.
    I do wish I had seen that 7.6, though.
    Oh, the agony and ecstasy of bike shopping!
    Thanks.

Slackerprince
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2008 Sirrus Comp and love it. In researching the two though I came to the conclusion that there is very little difference between the comp and the sport. I tend to buy bikes infrequently, so I sprang for the extra $$. I believe you will see little or no difference between the two.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmm, that's not exactly what I'm looking to hear, for $370 more!
    Just kidding.
    I'm glad you like yours, and it makes me feel good to know someone has one and is enjoying it.
    There were just a few upgrade features on the Comp I was interested in, and for a couple hundred more, I don't have to lament not getting it.
    I plan on having it a long time, and I take care of my stuff, so it should last.
    Thanks.

Slackerprince
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timtruro View Post
    I have a 2008 Sirrus Comp and love it. In researching the two though I came to the conclusion that there is very little difference between the comp and the sport. I tend to buy bikes infrequently, so I sprang for the extra $$. I believe you will see little or no difference between the two.

BTW, what do you think of the color of the Comp?
    Seems kind of funky, as I have not even seen one
    in person, before I ordered it. It's not really a big
    deal, but just wondering what you think of it.
    I think it's kind of odd that the base model has
    3 color choices, the Sport has 2 color choices,
    and the Comp and Pro have only 1 color choice!
    What's up with that? Seems odd to spend more,
    but have limited color choices. Just sayin.'

Slackerprince
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test rode both, the Sirrus Sport twice and the Sirrus Comp, '06, '07, and '08, a total of 6 times. I could definitely tell a difference between the two bikes. In my final rankings of flat-bar road bikes, before I made my purchase in March of '08, I had the Comp at my #5 spot and the Sport was not in my top 10.

My main misgivings about the Comp were:

1) The ride was rougher than several other bikes, which was surprising given that it has the most carbon fiber of any bike I tested and it had those Specialized "Zertz" inserts - which seemingly did nothing to dampen vibration. Some of the roughness may have been from the Armadillo tires which are said by many to have a rougher ride. The difference in the ride between the Comp and the Fuji Absolute 1.0 that I eventually bought was substantial, surprisingly substantial.

2) They have a shorter top tube than almost any other flat-bar bike. The "Medium" Sirrus has an effective top tube length of 545mm, as compared to the Trek 7.6's 568mm, most other flat-bar bikes are very close to the Trek's measurements. Even the "Small" 7.6 has a top tube of 557mm. The effect of this on me was that I couldn't get comfortable on the Sirrus. And I really tried ... especially when I had a chance to buy a closeout '07 with the better components for $750!

They have a lot of up sides. They are light & fast. I find them more comfortable than a drop bar road bike. The ride, while not as smooth as the best in their class, was still better than several other bikes.

If someone can get comfortable on one, I can easily understand why they would buy one. I would have. But I would have switched out the tires at the time of purchase.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I test rode both, the Sirrus Sport twice and the Sirrus Comp, '06, '07, and '08, a total of 6 times. I could definitely tell a difference between the two bikes. In my final rankings of flat-bar road bikes, before I made my purchase in March of '08, I had the Comp at my #5 spot and the Sport was not in my top 10.

My main misgivings about the Comp were:

1) The ride was rougher than several other bikes, which was surprising given that it has the most carbon fiber of any bike I tested and it had those Specialized "Zertz" inserts - which seemingly did nothing to dampen vibration. Some of the roughness may have been from the Armadillo tires which are said by many to have a rougher ride. The difference in the ride between the Comp and the Fuji Absolute 1.0 that I eventually bought was substantial, surprisingly substantial.

2) They have a shorter top tube than almost any other flat-bar bike. The "Medium" Sirrus has an effective top tube length of 545mm, as compared to the Trek 7.6's 568mm, most other flat-bar bikes are very close to the Trek's measurements. Even the "Small" 7.6 has a top tube of 557mm. The effect of this on me was that I couldn't get comfortable on the Sirrus. And I really tried ... especially when I had a chance to buy a closeout '07 with the better components for $750!

They have a lot of up sides. They are light & fast. I find them more comfortable than a drop bar road bike. The ride, while not as smooth as the best in their class, was still better than several other bikes.

If someone can get comfortable on one, I can easily understand why they would buy one. I would have. But I would have switched out the tires at the time of purchase.
    I agree with you on sizing. I ended up with the XL, even though I'm 6'1-6'2. What would a taller person get? It does fit, though.
    I admit I never tried a Giant, or the Trek 7.6. I'm a softy for Specialized, I guess.
    Also, the free LIFETIME adjustments were a big selling point for me at the shop I used. I can do basic repairs and accessory installs, but derailleur adjustment has always eluded me. I don't think it's rocket-science, just never picked it up.
    Also, a little miffed about the no-choice of color in the Comp.
    Anyway, it should be here soon, and I'm looking forward to it.
    I will have 105's installed, and Shimano PD M324 Multi-use pedals which are platform/clipless. I ordered some Lake Wide Mtn. shoes to use with them so I have the option to walk around comfortably if I want to.
    I think it will be a sweet set-up.
    Ultimately, though, the bike is meant to BURN CALORIES!
    Curious as to what your Top 5 or 10 picks were for Flatbars?
    Later.

Slackerprince
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you on sizing. I ended up with the XL, even though I'm 6'1-6'2. What would a taller person get? It does fit, though.
    I admit I never tried a Giant, or the Trek 7.6. I'm a softy for Specialized, I guess.

Slackerprince

There is nothing wrong with being soft for one Manufacturer. You get an affinity with that make and it works for you. I think that if you had tried the other bikes- You would still have gone with the Sirrus. Most that have included the Sirrus in their final choice have gone for it and it is one that Offers a range of models and one will be at a price to suit most.

Good choice and start planning the rides now.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^Yeah, some brand loyalty happening.

S.
    Shut up, everything

My Bikes
    Specialized Sirrus ,Trek 850, Gt Agressor-wife Specialized Crossroads
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the sirrus sport last dec. and love it--
    I still have 3 children living with me, so I did not consider the higher priced
    comp option..I weigh 152 lbs. so maybe the ride isn't as rough for me