User Tag List

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shoes for platform pedals.

This is a blatent unabashed product shill. Some of you have been looking at platform pedals again and some have asked about bike shoes for the same.

I have up till now used the 2 entry level Shimano sport MTB shoes (laces not velcro) in the XX-020/21/22 family and the XX-038/039/etc family. I also have had cleats for MTB pedals on those shoes. They allow you to walk around just fine, no duckwalking, slipping or whatever at the cafe or wherever you choose to stop along the ride to smell the roses. They have a very stiff sole for transfering power to the pedals without leaving you feet open to pain. They are well rockered (curve of sole upward at toes so the foot can roll forward when walking). They also work well on platform pedals without cleats.

Now to the list I can add the 661 brand "Launch" shoe. It is a stiff soled sport bicycle shoe that looks a little like a pair of Van's sneakers. Good on the bike with platform pedals, good stiff sole but with very little rocker so you bounce up on to your toes more when walking. They have no provision for cleat mounting and they are very inexpensive.

Costs less..........works good.

That is all........we now return you to your regular program of faffing.

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised 661 makes a good platform pedal shoe. Their main market is BMX riders, a group who strongly eschews clipless. Still, nice to hear a review from a non-BMXer.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used several different hiking shoes with platform pedals with no problems at all. My Merrell Mesa Ventilators work wonderfully. And my New Balance Country Hikers work just as well. Both of these have stiffer soles than typical all-purpose sneakers. Have used both on rides of 3 to 6 hours (saddle time).
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heartily agree with maddmax! The SixSixOne Launch was my first 'serious' platform pedal shoe; and they have take the severe beating of five downhill racing seasons without a whimper. The Dually shoes are even better - - if you feel the need for the extra ankle support of a mid-high shoe. Plus, if you want even more grip, each model comes in a 'Taki' rubber version that uses a super-grippy rubber compound.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here they are on sale for $34 at the Motorcycle Superstore of all places.

Linkie

I have such a hard time with cycling shoes. If they're laced, the laces get caught in the toestraps. If they're regular cycling shoes, the stupid velcro won't pass the cage.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dminor View Post
    I heartily agree with maddmax! The SixSixOne Launch was my first 'serious' platform pedal shoe; and they have take the severe beating of five downhill racing seasons without a whimper. The Dually shoes are even better - - if you feel the need for the extra ankle support of a mid-high shoe. Plus, if you want even more grip, each model comes in a 'Taki' rubber version that uses a super-grippy rubber compound.
    I did not know that the "Taki" ment something special on my shoes. This is however a classic example of multimedia cycling. Downhill MG-1 pedals, BMX shoes on a TT road bike being setup for Beach Road riding on vacation around lots of jaywalking tourists........................ and it all comes together just right for the occasion.

Who said you couldn't cross forum lines.

My Bikes
    1971 Suzuki TS125/factory race kit/AHRMA-legal; 1969 Suzuki TS250/factory race kit; 1967 Suzuki K-15 Hillbilly Trail 80; 1977 Yamaha IT175; 1964 VanTech Scrambler racing frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    I have such a hard time with cycling shoes. If they're laced, the laces get caught in the toestraps.
    There are two very slick cures for this - - and both came from my desire to find easy on/off lacing for duathlons. One is Yankz. They are an elastic-lace system that leaves no tag-ends to get caught in things. The other is Snuglocs. They arent elastic, but they work like a draw-cord with a spring-loaded lock, then you tuck the enclosed lace-end under your toe-end cross-lace. They're a bit more economical than Yankz too. I have both and I actually prefer the Snuglocs.; but they're hard to find, now that my REI does not carry them any more.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dminor!!!! Thanks!!!!! That looks like a great solution!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snakes by Geox. They keep your feet dry, too. bk