Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-08, 01:57 PM   #1
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
I'm glad we have moderators.

I guess that it's time for the grouch to go on record. I'm glad we have moderators.

I don't want to read through a ton of thinly disguised sales pitches.
I don't want to read through a lot of profanity.
I don't want to get involved in a lot of personal attacks.

If the moderators occassionally blow a call, I can live with it.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 02:00 PM   #2
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I guess that it's time for the grouch to go on record. I'm glad we have moderators.

I don't want to read through a ton of thinly disguised sales pitches.
I don't want to read through a lot of profanity.
I don't want to get involved in a lot of personal attacks.

If the moderators occassionally blow a call, I can live with it.
For a bloke with such a wierd sense of humour- you do talk a lot of sense ocaionally and on this occasion- I agree with you. and for the reasons you have stated.

Unfortunately- There have been a few "Errors" made by them recently that have antagonised some members. What we need is a moderator for the Moderators.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 02:01 PM   #3
MNBikeguy
Senior Member
 
MNBikeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1
Posts: 1,834
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sign me up.....
MNBikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 02:01 PM   #4
tsl
Plays in traffic
 
tsl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
Posts: 6,955
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
+1
tsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 02:31 PM   #5
The Weak Link
Banned.
 
The Weak Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Post-partisan Paradise
Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Posts: 4,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 02:43 PM   #6
Trsnrtr
Nefarious Reprobate
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Bikes: Colnago CX, Giant Propel, Co-Motion Supremo
Posts: 7,972
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I guess that it's time for the grouch to go on record. I'm glad we have moderators.
Agreed. On board here, too.
__________________
Dennis T
Trsnrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 03:11 PM   #7
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
Ya know, I agree with you to a point. This whole moderator thing has gone on for far too long. It is beating a dead horse. None-the-less, for that very reason, I wanted to state my opinion that the moderators are a good thing. I choose to start a new thread so it wouldn't fall through the cracks.

I was also careful to state the topic in the title so that anybody who objected to my beating the dead horse simply wouldn't have to open and read it.

Why did you choose to open it?
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 03:18 PM   #8
solveg
Squirrel
 
solveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winfield, KS
Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Posts: 4,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A mod just deleted a bunch of duplicate posts. That was a nice and useful thing to do.
__________________
solveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 03:22 PM   #9
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
A mod just deleted a bunch of duplicate posts. That was a nice and useful thing to do.
And probably would have gone unnoticed had you not mentioned it. It's a valuable function for a board like this.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 08:49 PM   #10
The Weak Link
Banned.
 
The Weak Link's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Post-partisan Paradise
Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
Posts: 4,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Why did you choose to open it?
Choice was not involved. I was driven by Dark Forces Over Which I Have No Control.
The Weak Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-08, 09:12 PM   #11
Catweazle
Senior Member
 
Catweazle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sale, Victoria, Australia
Bikes:
Posts: 663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been a forum administrator and moderator in places elsewhere for years and years, and over time I've come to some understandings which pertain to all forum particpants, anywhere:
  • You are not your postcount.
  • Your every post is not golden.
  • Some of your posts, just like the ring you didn't notice dropping, will inevitably end up swept up in the vacuuming. It's just housekeeping. You didn't get robbed!
  • Moderators don't really engage in a personal vendetta against you. You only thought they were because you wanted to feel important.
  • You aren't really more important than the forum board.
  • Americans who have an over-inflated sense of their own self-importance are quicker to take offence than anybody else in the known universe.
  • Australians who have an over-inflated sense of their own self-importance are louder, more aggressive and more offensive in their complaints than anybody else in the known universe, even though they really don't even give a s.h.i.t.


It's all just forums. We're only on them to start with because we're filling in the time we have on our hands
Catweazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-08, 11:02 AM   #12
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi USMC
 
qcpmsame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cantonment, FL
Bikes: 2012 CAAD 10 3 Ultegra, 1978 Medici Pro Strada
Posts: 9,345
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
I've been a forum administrator and moderator in places elsewhere for years and years, and over time I've come to some understandings which pertain to all forum particpants, anywhere:
  • You are not your postcount.
  • Your every post is not golden.
  • Some of your posts, just like the ring you didn't notice dropping, will inevitably end up swept up in the vacuuming. It's just housekeeping. You didn't get robbed!
  • Moderators don't really engage in a personal vendetta against you. You only thought they were because you wanted to feel important.
  • You aren't really more important than the forum board.
  • Americans who have an over-inflated sense of their own self-importance are quicker to take offence than anybody else in the known universe.
  • Australians who have an over-inflated sense of their own self-importance are louder, more aggressive and more offensive in their complaints than anybody else in the known universe, even though they really don't even give a s.h.i.t.


It's all just forums. We're only on them to start with because we're filling in the time we have on our hands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
I guess that it's time for the grouch to go on record. I'm glad we have moderators.

I don't want to read through a ton of thinly disguised sales pitches.
I don't want to read through a lot of profanity.
I don't want to get involved in a lot of personal attacks.

If the moderators occassionally blow a call, I can live with it.
+1 to both the OP and CW's response. Moderator/Admin is a truly thankless job. I am no longer Senior Moderator at a dirt bike forum because of the supposed heavy hand and personal rages. Watching people that will never meet go to it in cyber space. It is only a Bulletin Board and your opinion is just that, yours not anybody elses. Mods have a lot of work and no pay which earns them spite and slansers. Good and mods are at every site, we are pretty lucky with the freedon out forum has. and this is just my opinion.
__________________
I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

I did not choose to have Parkinson's Disease, but I can choose to not allow it to control my life. Its all up to me to overcome the trials, adapt and overcome!
qcpmsame is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.