Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The "Little Old Lady" is dead

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 06:15 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

You may remember my sharing that there was a tiny litttle lady who walked our MUPS daily several hours, many miles, using her cane. I would see her regularly and talk with her occasionally.

The paper last week had an article about a person 84 years old floating in a local pond. She was rescued, resuscitated, but died the next day.

Yesterday, it was confirmed that this was my little old lady.

I shall miss her.

She gave a certain vibrancy to my rides.

She was 84. Cause of death currently unknown. She was known to have fallen some lately. The pond where she was found required a rather significant climb up a small hill to get to the pond.

Rest in Peace, little old lady!
Old 06-07-08, 06:29 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry to hear this. I have a few older floks I look for on my rides. One man I see walking down a country road with his cain. I know he covers at least 2 miles. Never say die - keep moving!
Old 06-07-08, 06:38 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, sorry to hear that. It's hard to lose people who's presence we enjoy. There's an older, frail oriental man who had leg problems but is faithfully walking to King Soops. He's pushed it and moved from barely moving to carrying the cane as he walks normally. Definitely an inspirition.

Last Sat, I meet a 100 yr old man who strutted his stuff and gave an impressive, humorous short speech.

Hopefully we all will leave a mark on the young ones.
Old 06-07-08, 07:21 AM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like those ponds in & around Denver aren't very friendly, a boy was found in on e last night.

Sorry to hear about your friend, funny how people can be part of your life yet we don't even know much about them.
Old 06-07-08, 10:57 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is so sad. You hate to hear that someone lost their life in such a tragic accident.

A couple years ago we had an elderly gentleman who often rode the trails along the river disappear. They found his bike and body the next day. He evidently rode off the trail into the river

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-07-08, 11:14 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So you officially consider 84 to be "old?"

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-07-08, 12:51 PM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
So you officially consider 84 to be "old?"
Only if you are little and a lady.
Old 06-07-08, 07:52 PM
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OMG sorry to hear that! I go past this man and his wife every so often when I'm on a ride, they live in the town next to me. I found out the other day they are both 90 years old and they walk a mile each day! That's what I wanna be.
Old 06-07-08, 08:12 PM

Bikes: Raleigh SC30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suzie Green
OMG sorry to hear that! I go past this man and his wife every so often when I'm on a ride, they live in the town next to me. I found out the other day they are both 90 years old and they walk a mile each day! That's what I wanna be.
Sounds like you might want to stop by & introduce yourself so if they pass you won't have to call them the "old lady or old man".
Old 06-07-08, 09:45 PM

Location: Vancouver, Washington and Ocean Shores, Washington, USA

Bikes: 2 - 2007 Custom Bike Fridays, 2 - 2009 Bike Friday Pocket 8's, Gravity 29'er SS, 2 - 8-spd Windsor City Bikes, 1973 Raleigh 20 & a 1964 Schwinn Tiger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The wife and I are quickly becoming the "little old couple on bikes" in our neighborhood.

Sounds like an Arte Johnson Laugh-In skit - just keel over on our bikes into a pond.
Old 06-07-08, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
The way I see it is, it's better to go that way than rotting away in a nursing home somewhere. At least she died out where she liked to be.
Old 06-08-08, 04:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's too bad. I have some people like that too. I ride on a MUP bikepath almost daily, when it's not too busy, and no matter what time I go, there are a few people I keep seeing every day, out walking or running, despite age and an obvious physical handicap. I also see many older seniors riding bikes, quite a few on road bikes too. Very courageous, admirable people. Compare them to most people who are content to just sit in front of a TV and eat themselves to death.
Old 06-17-08, 11:27 AM
Banned.

Today, I saw this poster on the trail near where she lived.

Sorry the pic is so blurry. It is the best I can manage with the cell phone camera and the shadow it was in.

It tells about her walking on the trails, the friends she made, and that they are taking contributions towards a memorial trailside bench.

She would have been 85 in September

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-17-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-17-08, 01:28 PM
Let's ride to the pub!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aw...a trailside bench will be a sweet memorial.
Old 06-18-08, 06:48 AM

Bikes: Fuji Grand Fondo 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Silver Comet Trail. We met a man at the tunnel. He said he was over 80. Rode from Rockmart to Smyrna 3 times a week, about 40 miles each way. He had two bad hips and a bad knee. He had to lay his bike on the ground to get on or off. We talked to him for about an hour that day. He had some pretty interesting tales. When we were back there this year, we didn't see him at all. I wonder what ever happened.

torgrot
Old 06-18-08, 06:58 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by malkin
Aw...a trailside bench will be a sweet memorial.
I agree.

We have a trail-side bench along one of our trails for a cycling club member who was killed by a drunk driver a few years ago. She usually rode the roads but liked this particular trail as it was close to her home, had a few hills and meandered through the woods.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-18-08, 08:04 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
The paper last week had an article about a person 84 years old floating in a local pond. She was rescued, resuscitated, but died the next day.
That sure beats wasting away in a nursing home. After seeing all four of my grandparents spend years and years in nursing homes, I'd much rather topple over on my daily constitutional than go the way they did.

That's why I can say: Brava, little old lady! Way to go!