Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-08, 06:00 PM   #1
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Does anyone else have a moth problem?

Brought my bike in from a ride (bicycle related)(mine so its 50+ related)(just dotting my T's and crossing my eyes here) and it was covered with a slimey green goo as if I had followed a bunch of horses down the trail. A close inspection of the road near the end of my driveway showed a completely covering layer of chewed leaves, green droppings and live catapillers. You can hear them chewing in my oak trees. If I didn't know better I'd say it was a rerun of the Gypsy Moth Catapiller rampage of two decades ago. Do you folks in other parts of the country have these. Once they get going they can wipe out whole forests of trees in a couple of years.

Not to mention that they make the road more slippery than ice and my bike dirty too.
__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 06:09 PM   #2
DnvrFox
Banned.
 
DnvrFox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 20,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not yet.

However, 2 million acres of pine are dead from the pine beetle, with another million on the firing line, and on the news last night, it talked of an Ash beetle ready to decimate that population.

Ah, the wonders of nature!
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 06:10 PM   #3
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Brought my bike in from a ride (bicycle related)(mine so its 50+ related)(just dotting my T's and crossing my eyes here) .....

Wait. This has nothing to do with your age and riding.

Unless of course the caterpillars are 50+ and ride bikes.........
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 07:25 PM   #4
solveg
Squirrel
 
solveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winfield, KS
Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Posts: 4,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have seen a huge amount of caterpillers in general this spring. One was smoking a hookah pipe. I'd say that one came from your world.
__________________
solveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:01 PM   #5
maddmaxx 
Small Member
Thread Starter
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solveg View Post
I have seen a huge amount of caterpillers in general this spring. One was smoking a hookah pipe. I'd say that one came from your world.
Oh...............the blue one.......................so that's where he got to. You haven't by any chance seen my cat?




Siu..............My (50+) bike (bicycle) go slimed on a ride (bicycle again) and the roads are dangerously slippery when these catipillers are about......................... The catipilliers are only 20 or so and prefer to climb trees. I ride in the woods under the trees. All in all this thread is about as relevant as anything I've seen here lately. Now all you California people can party on cause its time for an East Coast Geezer to go to bed.

__________________
We are an empire. Use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:11 PM   #6
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!
 
Tom Bombadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Paoli, Wisconsin
Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Posts: 9,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The moth population around here seems to be down this year. Could be all of the rain.

Right now the mosquito population is down too. Experts at UW-Madison have speculated that the recent floods carried the mosquito eggs down to Illinois and Missouri. We can expect more soon, but right now those guys are being flooded with our rain, and drained by our mosquitoes.
__________________
"Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 08:14 PM   #7
ken cummings
Senior Member
 
ken cummings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: northern California
Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
Posts: 5,601
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Studded tires are not just for Winter any more. No moth problems since I stopped buying wool shorts.
ken cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-08, 09:32 PM   #8
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,939
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Oh...............the blue one.......................so that's where he got to. You haven't by any chance seen my cat?




Siu..............My (50+) bike (bicycle) go slimed on a ride (bicycle again) and the roads are dangerously slippery when these catipillers are about......................... The catipilliers are only 20 or so and prefer to climb trees. I ride in the woods under the trees. All in all this thread is about as relevant as anything I've seen here lately. Now all you California people can party on cause its time for an East Coast Geezer to go to bed.

I'm too old to party.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 01:13 PM   #9
stapfam
Time for a change.
 
stapfam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Posts: 19,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had a problem a couple of years ago and parts of Friston Forest were closed down. Infestation of a woolly caterpillar and it was a huge infestation. Hit an area of about 1 acre and every tree was hit. The caterpillars literraly covered the trees and any one walking under them would have the Caterpillars fall on them. Big Skin irritation ensued.
__________________
How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.


Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 01:57 PM   #10
zoste
VoodooChile
 
zoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AZ
Bikes: Salsa Casseroll
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't noticed a particular problem around here this year...no worse than other years.

When I was a teen I spent a few summers in CT and I've never seen anything like the gypsy moth population up there. You really can hear them chewing. I was living in a tent and you could hear them dropping out of the trees; it sounded like rain when they hit the canvas. I had to shake out my shorts before putting them on.
zoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 05:52 PM   #11
buddyp
Senior Member
 
buddyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: washington dc
Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoste View Post
I haven't noticed a particular problem around here this year...no worse than other years.

When I was a teen I spent a few summers in CT and I've never seen anything like the gypsy moth population up there. You really can hear them chewing. I was living in a tent and you could hear them dropping out of the trees; it sounded like rain when they hit the canvas. I had to shake out my shorts before putting them on.
I remember that too. I hiked the AT in 78 and it was a huge year for gypsy moths. They crapped on me for most of the 2000 miles. Like you said, I could hear them munching as I walked up the trail
buddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 08:18 PM   #12
BCRider
Senior Member
 
BCRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
Posts: 5,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just checked inside my seat tubes, under the saddle and in the ends of the handlebars... no moths inside my bikes I'm happy to report....
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:11 PM.