Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-19-08, 10:13 AM   #1
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OT: Amazing Things

I'm sure most of us have witnessed events that we thought were unbelieveable. What's yours?

For me it was something that happened at my Grandmother's. She lived 12 floors up, with an unobstructed view of the Pacific Ocean. One day we had a family gathering and a bunch of us were on the balcony enjoying the view and talking.

My step sister had a regular glass tumbler in her hand and suddenly she lost her grip on it. It went sailing towards the driveway 12 floors below. There was a moment as I watched it hurtling towards the ground that I imagined someone walking out from the lobby below and being hit and hurt. That the glass would shatter in a cloud of glass shards was a foregone conclusion.

Then it hit the pavement, and bounced and rolled onto its side.

I went down to retrieve the glass. To my amazement it was complete, no nicks, no chips, no cracks. I brought it up and showed it to all the family members. The glass was washed and went back into service. My brother-in-law still talks about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 10:33 AM   #2
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
I was working at a children's shelter and we got a 4 year old girl in who had never worn shoes. I had introduce her to them. I tried* to do it slowly, but she had to wear them to go anywhere. The horror and panic--and ensuing tantrum she threw was absolutely on the level of a hurricane. Can you imagine what shoes would feel like for the first time if you were old enough to actually think about it?
Old 06-19-08, 10:41 AM   #3
rule

Bikes:
Maybe it was the way that the shadows played across the room when the curtains fluttered in the breeze from an open window, but one night for a single instant it actually looked like my ex-wife moved during sex.
Old 06-19-08, 11:00 AM   #4
leob1

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rule View Post
Maybe it was the way that the shadows played across the room when the curtains fluttered in the breeze from an open window, but one night for a single instant it actually looked like my ex-wife moved during sex.
You where that good?
leob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 11:27 AM   #5
Suzie Green
Cycler

Bikes:
I was sitting around in a discussion group years ago (when it was acceptable to smoke in a place such as this) and a guy in the row in front of me was trying to extricate a cigarette from his pack by flicking the pack in an upward motion, and getting the cigarette to pop up a bit so he could grab it with his lips. After a couple of failed attempts, he flicked his hand a bit harder, a cigarette flew up into the air. This guy sitting next to me had his arm on the edge of his chair, with his index and middle fingers slightly opened. The cigarette landed squarely into the notch of his 2 fingers, filter side towards him, exactly as if he were going to light it and smoke it. It was so hilarious that all those that saw it happen broke out in fits of laughter and the discussion leader had to take a 10 minute break for the commotion to calm down.
Suzie Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 12:38 PM   #6
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
I picked up a lovely female hitchhiker one evening and she told me she was a magician. I expressed skepticism. Then she leaned over and whispered into my ear. Sure enough, I turned into a motel.
Cone Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 02:12 PM   #7
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
I have had my share of amazing things... Probably most recently, after one long rain, the sun came out and as usual there was a rainbow. This rainbow was so incredibly bright I knew it was close. Having nothing better to do I decided to chase it. I rode closer and closer and had to trespass onto a construction site. Lo and behold I actually, for the first time in my life, found the end of a rainbow. It came right down onto a dumptruck. Who would imagine? When I get home I'll post the photo. There isn't a pot of gold waiting at the end... there's a friggin' dumptruck!

Also, years ago, got talked into climbing Mt. Whitney. Totally unprepared, about 4 miles in I started suffering from altitude sickness. At this point I was at about 11,000 ft. I would take a step and hurl, take a step and hurl... the scenary wasn't all that nice, it was a rocky, barren moonscape. I thought about turning back when I finally reached the end of a long climb and came onto a plateau... if there is a physical heaven, I imagine it looked like this. Picture an alpine meadow, there was snow coming down and ending in a lovely, fast flowing alpine stream. All along the stream which cascaded out into a beautiful waterfall, where tuffs of tall grass, and all sorts of beautiful alpine wildflowers. The sun was shining just so and a lovely breeze had started. I knew I reached my summit (although far from the top) and spent the rest of the day relaxing in heaven... been back to that spot many times since and still picture it as heaven.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 06-20-08 at 01:45 PM.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 02:33 PM   #8
Cone Wrench

Bikes: 1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
Back in 1978 my wife and I were riding from Vancouver to Montreal. Unbeknownst to us a friend of mine was riding the opposite direction, from Montreal to Vancouver. In the middle of the prairies, just outside Weyburn, Saskatchewan, we pulled into a small store to refill our water bottles. Five minutes later, who should pull into the same store but my friend.
Cone Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 02:50 PM   #9
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
At this point I was at about 11,000 ft. I would take a step and hurl, take a step and hurl... the scenary wasn't all that nice,
Of course the scenery wasn't all that nice....you just hurled all over it

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 03:04 PM   #10
solveg
Squirrel

Bikes: 07 Rivendell Atlantis, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM,
Pam, I like your new avatar!
Old 06-19-08, 03:59 PM   #11
WalterMitty
Old Enough to Know Better

Bikes:
The most amazing thing is a Thermos.

It keeps my coffee hot and my tea cold.

How do it know?
WalterMitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 04:12 PM   #12
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Even though I work in the semiconductor industry, I am still amazed that we are now down to 45nm and even smaller feature sizes, having once been told that it would be hard to get much below 700nm. We now routinely put tens of millions of transistors on a single integrated circuit, which we turn around and sell for chump change.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 04:37 PM   #13
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterMitty View Post
The most amazing thing is a Thermos.
It pales to the telephone. Have you noticed that telephones work in every single language ever spoken?

Quote:
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-19-08, 05:09 PM   #14
BengeBoy 

Bikes: 2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
I got my wife a trailer hitch for our 20th anniversary (yesterday).

Still married today!

That's amazing.
BengeBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 06:08 PM   #15
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
I got my wife a trailer hitch for our 20th anniversary (yesterday).

Still married today!

That's amazing.
How good are you at sleeping with your eyes open?
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 06:12 PM   #16
Jet Travis
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
I wandered around
In the corn patch this morning.
Green leaves. Golden light.
Old 06-19-08, 11:41 PM   #17
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
I wandered around
In the corn patch this morning.
Green leaves. Golden light.
Yeah, that can be amazing.

I'm still trying to figure out how a 6 inch deep creek near me managed to wedge two dumpsters into bridges and put debris 6 feet up on top of the bridge during a rain storm last Friday.

It didn't seem to disturb the fish, turtles and muskrats in the creek though.

Quote:

Last edited by Artkansas; 06-19-08 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-20-08, 06:16 AM   #18
Suzie Green
Cycler

Bikes:
Or how is it possible to gain 5 pounds just by eating a 1 pound box of chocolates?
Suzie Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 06:41 AM   #19
maddmaxx 
Small Member

Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
Even though I work in the semiconductor industry, I am still amazed that we are now down to 45nm and even smaller feature sizes, having once been told that it would be hard to get much below 700nm. We now routinely put tens of millions of transistors on a single integrated circuit, which we turn around and sell for chump change.
Your welcome...
Old 06-20-08, 06:49 AM   #20
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rule View Post
You my ex-wife's first husband?

Wow...what an amazing coincidence!
SSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 07:32 AM   #21
Metric Man
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2
Once walking through a convenience store parking lot I spied an empty beer bottle sitting on the curb about 75' away. As I approached I saw a rock on the ground and kicked it at the bottle...it actually hit the bottle and broke it. Just sayin'.
Metric Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 01:43 PM   #22
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
Of course the scenery wasn't all that nice....you just hurled all over it
Definitely true! Cone wrench reminded me... on the Whitney trip, while i was sitting and resting and trying not to hurl.... I see this lone figure coming up towards me... my eyes aren't that good so it took awhile to focus in on who it was. Turned out to be my boss! Neither one of us knew the other had taken time off to do Whitney. I didn't even know he hiked! I think he was more surprise to see me. He was in the kindof "zen" trance you get into when working out and I called his name... in the middle of absolutely no where must be weird to hear your name! I also think I scared him since i looked that bad.

Solveg... thanks re the avatar - a work in progress...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Pamestique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:24 PM   #23
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
What amazes me is how some many people take that technology for granted... and fully accept it.

If folks had any clue as to what went on in a typical cell phone call they would never complain about dropped calls, they would rather cheer that any calls worked at all.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:32 PM   #24
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Played "Hookey" from work to do a special ride on the Tandem with my Co-Rider. We were the only tandem and it was covered extensively by the press. Had to stay out of all the pics taken as they all wanted action shots of the Tandem.

Next day and My boss said that there was a special ride on the day before and it was all over the local papers. He asked me if I knew anything about the ride and I mumbled something about having to work instead of play on the bikes so I hadn't entered. He then said that if another ride like that came up in the area- let him know and he would get sponsorship from the Company out of the PR budget.

Spike Milligan
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-08, 02:48 PM   #25
WalterMitty
Old Enough to Know Better

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
What amazes me is how some many people take that technology for granted... and fully accept it.

If folks had any clue as to what went on in a typical cell phone call they would never complain about dropped calls, they would rather cheer that any calls worked at all.
+ a bunch.

I spent several years in aircraft maintenance, engineering and repair. I think about some of those little details that have to work when an airliner rotates for liftoff...
WalterMitty is offline   Reply With Quote