Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OT: Amazing Things

I'm sure most of us have witnessed events that we thought were unbelieveable. What's yours?

For me it was something that happened at my Grandmother's. She lived 12 floors up, with an unobstructed view of the Pacific Ocean. One day we had a family gathering and a bunch of us were on the balcony enjoying the view and talking.

My step sister had a regular glass tumbler in her hand and suddenly she lost her grip on it. It went sailing towards the driveway 12 floors below. There was a moment as I watched it hurtling towards the ground that I imagined someone walking out from the lobby below and being hit and hurt. That the glass would shatter in a cloud of glass shards was a foregone conclusion.

Then it hit the pavement, and bounced and rolled onto its side.

I went down to retrieve the glass. To my amazement it was complete, no nicks, no chips, no cracks. I brought it up and showed it to all the family members. The glass was washed and went back into service. My brother-in-law still talks about it.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was working at a children's shelter and we got a 4 year old girl in who had never worn shoes. I had introduce her to them. I tried* to do it slowly, but she had to wear them to go anywhere. The horror and panic--and ensuing tantrum she threw was absolutely on the level of a hurricane. Can you imagine what shoes would feel like for the first time if you were old enough to actually think about it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it was the way that the shadows played across the room when the curtains fluttered in the breeze from an open window, but one night for a single instant it actually looked like my ex-wife moved during sex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rule View Post
    Maybe it was the way that the shadows played across the room when the curtains fluttered in the breeze from an open window, but one night for a single instant it actually looked like my ex-wife moved during sex.
    You where that good?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was sitting around in a discussion group years ago (when it was acceptable to smoke in a place such as this) and a guy in the row in front of me was trying to extricate a cigarette from his pack by flicking the pack in an upward motion, and getting the cigarette to pop up a bit so he could grab it with his lips. After a couple of failed attempts, he flicked his hand a bit harder, a cigarette flew up into the air. This guy sitting next to me had his arm on the edge of his chair, with his index and middle fingers slightly opened. The cigarette landed squarely into the notch of his 2 fingers, filter side towards him, exactly as if he were going to light it and smoke it. It was so hilarious that all those that saw it happen broke out in fits of laughter and the discussion leader had to take a 10 minute break for the commotion to calm down.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I picked up a lovely female hitchhiker one evening and she told me she was a magician. I expressed skepticism. Then she leaned over and whispered into my ear. Sure enough, I turned into a motel.

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my share of amazing things... Probably most recently, after one long rain, the sun came out and as usual there was a rainbow. This rainbow was so incredibly bright I knew it was close. Having nothing better to do I decided to chase it. I rode closer and closer and had to trespass onto a construction site. Lo and behold I actually, for the first time in my life, found the end of a rainbow. It came right down onto a dumptruck. Who would imagine? When I get home I'll post the photo. There isn't a pot of gold waiting at the end... there's a friggin' dumptruck!

Also, years ago, got talked into climbing Mt. Whitney. Totally unprepared, about 4 miles in I started suffering from altitude sickness. At this point I was at about 11,000 ft. I would take a step and hurl, take a step and hurl... the scenary wasn't all that nice, it was a rocky, barren moonscape. I thought about turning back when I finally reached the end of a long climb and came onto a plateau... if there is a physical heaven, I imagine it looked like this. Picture an alpine meadow, there was snow coming down and ending in a lovely, fast flowing alpine stream. All along the stream which cascaded out into a beautiful waterfall, where tuffs of tall grass, and all sorts of beautiful alpine wildflowers. The sun was shining just so and a lovely breeze had started. I knew I reached my summit (although far from the top) and spent the rest of the day relaxing in heaven... been back to that spot many times since and still picture it as heaven.
    Last edited by Pamestique; 06-20-08 at 01:45 PM.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in 1978 my wife and I were riding from Vancouver to Montreal. Unbeknownst to us a friend of mine was riding the opposite direction, from Montreal to Vancouver. In the middle of the prairies, just outside Weyburn, Saskatchewan, we pulled into a small store to refill our water bottles. Five minutes later, who should pull into the same store but my friend.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCIpam View Post
    At this point I was at about 11,000 ft. I would take a step and hurl, take a step and hurl... the scenary wasn't all that nice,
    Of course the scenery wasn't all that nice....you just hurled all over it
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pam, I like your new avatar!

Old Enough to Know Better WalterMitty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most amazing thing is a Thermos.

It keeps my coffee hot and my tea cold.

How do it know?
    Youth we got, what we need is a fountain of Smart!

"Does it ever occur to you that I am sometimes thinking?"

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I work in the semiconductor industry, I am still amazed that we are now down to 45nm and even smaller feature sizes, having once been told that it would be hard to get much below 700nm. We now routinely put tens of millions of transistors on a single integrated circuit, which we turn around and sell for chump change.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WalterMitty View Post
    The most amazing thing is a Thermos.
    It pales to the telephone. Have you noticed that telephones work in every single language ever spoken?

I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my wife a trailer hitch for our 20th anniversary (yesterday).

Still married today!

That's amazing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I got my wife a trailer hitch for our 20th anniversary (yesterday).

Still married today!

That's amazing.
    How good are you at sleeping with your eyes open?

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wandered around
    In the corn patch this morning.
    Green leaves. Golden light.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    I wandered around
    In the corn patch this morning.
    Green leaves. Golden light.
    Yeah, that can be amazing.

I'm still trying to figure out how a 6 inch deep creek near me managed to wedge two dumpsters into bridges and put debris 6 feet up on top of the bridge during a rain storm last Friday.

It didn't seem to disturb the fish, turtles and muskrats in the creek though.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 06-19-08 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or how is it possible to gain 5 pounds just by eating a 1 pound box of chocolates?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Even though I work in the semiconductor industry, I am still amazed that we are now down to 45nm and even smaller feature sizes, having once been told that it would be hard to get much below 700nm. We now routinely put tens of millions of transistors on a single integrated circuit, which we turn around and sell for chump change.
    Your welcome...

SSP
    My Bikes
    Trek 5200, Specialized MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rule View Post
    You my ex-wife's first husband?

Wow...what an amazing coincidence!
    CycliStats.com - Software for Cyclists
    WeightWare.com - Weight Management Software

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once walking through a convenience store parking lot I spied an empty beer bottle sitting on the curb about 75' away. As I approached I saw a rock on the ground and kicked it at the bottle...it actually hit the bottle and broke it. Just sayin'.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Of course the scenery wasn't all that nice....you just hurled all over it
    Definitely true! Cone wrench reminded me... on the Whitney trip, while i was sitting and resting and trying not to hurl.... I see this lone figure coming up towards me... my eyes aren't that good so it took awhile to focus in on who it was. Turned out to be my boss! Neither one of us knew the other had taken time off to do Whitney. I didn't even know he hiked! I think he was more surprise to see me. He was in the kindof "zen" trance you get into when working out and I called his name... in the middle of absolutely no where must be weird to hear your name! I also think I scared him since i looked that bad.

Solveg... thanks re the avatar - a work in progress...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    What amazes me is how some many people take that technology for granted... and fully accept it.

If folks had any clue as to what went on in a typical cell phone call they would never complain about dropped calls, they would rather cheer that any calls worked at all.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Played "Hookey" from work to do a special ride on the Tandem with my Co-Rider. We were the only tandem and it was covered extensively by the press. Had to stay out of all the pics taken as they all wanted action shots of the Tandem.

Next day and My boss said that there was a special ride on the day before and it was all over the local papers. He asked me if I knew anything about the ride and I mumbled something about having to work instead of play on the bikes so I hadn't entered. He then said that if another ride like that came up in the area- let him know and he would get sponsorship from the Company out of the PR budget.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Old Enough to Know Better WalterMitty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    What amazes me is how some many people take that technology for granted... and fully accept it.

If folks had any clue as to what went on in a typical cell phone call they would never complain about dropped calls, they would rather cheer that any calls worked at all.
    + a bunch.

I spent several years in aircraft maintenance, engineering and repair. I think about some of those little details that have to work when an airliner rotates for liftoff...
    Youth we got, what we need is a fountain of Smart!

"Does it ever occur to you that I am sometimes thinking?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast