Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are all downhill MTB rides in Peru insane?

Hi, in 8 days my son and I off to Peru for a little father-son adventuring. Aside from the obligatory journey to Macchu Picchu, the rest of our schedule is pretty open.

We'd like to do some mountain biking, and have read that in a number of places we're likely to visit there are outfitters who do "volcano to jungle" downhill mountain bike tours.

Are these insane? Does anyone have direct experience with any of these outfitters?

I know that there is a famous MTB downhill run in Bolivia on "the world's most dangerous road," and apparently quite a few tourists have gone over the edge. Having promised my wife that I would bring her son back alive, we're not interested in tempting the fates, just having a good run. A good single-track ride would be nice as well.

BTW, I did the downhill MTB thing once at Breckenridge, Colo. (taking the ski lifts to the top of the mountain in the summer, riding them down). It was a lot of fun but, as a road biker w/little MTB experience, I found it pretty intimidating to keep my speed under control, especially on rocky single-track.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Links to reputable outfitters?

Thanks,
    BB

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I don't have any direct knowledge on bike rides, but we were in Peru last fall at Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. Incredibly beautiful place, you will love it. We saw a group of bicycle riders on mountain bikes on one of the roads we traveled in our bus. I think those folks were on a day ride, traveling from town to town, through quite hilly terrain. The roads there were gravel/dirt roads and didn't look very dangerous.

I looked for info on the rides after we saw the riders and there were a number of bike tours in the area and for most of them, a bus would take you to a high village, at maybe 12,000 ft and you would ride (I'm guessing) 30? miles and wind up at 9000 ft or so in the valley. Of course there were a few climbs, it wasn't all downhill.

I didn't see any mention of singletrack riding, but I'm sure its there.

Is this the type ride you are looking at, or is it more like the ski-lift ride you mentioned? The high altitudes really affected me just walking, keep that in mind in your plans.

Here are some of our pictures of Peru, if you are interested http://chevstriss.ath.cx/gallery/Gallery3.html

Have fun and post pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't answer your question, but since you're in the neighborhood, drop by Quito, Ecuador. My wife and daughter and I are taking a high schooler trip to the Galapagos starting next week.

Don't forget that a lot of the sights in Peru are at high altitudes. A friend if mine was there a few weeks ago and had real trouble hiking.

Anyway, have fun and be safe.
    Last edited by The Smokester; 06-20-08 at 07:38 PM.

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During this trip there will be several moments when you feel like doing something very stupid. A loud voice in your head will holler, "go for it." A still, small voice will say, "I promised my wife...." Listen to the still, small voice. Not for yourself, but for your old lady. My two cents.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't "downhill" by definition crazy?

Like, this is downhill biking:

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Travis View Post
    During this trip there will be several moments when you feel like doing something very stupid. A loud voice in your head will holler, "go for it." A still, small voice will say, "I promised my wife...." Listen to the still, small voice. Not for yourself, but for your old lady. My two cents.
    Thanks - I know this is good advice. I did *stupid* in my 20's; I spent a lot of time traveling/working in Central America and spent 3 years living in Mexico, and was not always as careful as I could have been, but partly because my work sometimes put me in harm's way.

I was always impressed by some of the problems that befell tourists; it's possible to fall into some pretty nasty situations if one is not careful. Things that can be small inconveniences back home develop into serious situations in other parts of the world when one is unaccustomed to local laws, customs, safety practices, medical care, etc.

I hope to steer clear of stupid, while still having some fun.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byte_speed View Post
    The high altitudes really affected me just walking, keep that in mind in your plans....Here are some of our pictures of Peru, if you are interested http://chevstriss.ath.cx/gallery/Gallery3.html
    Awesome pics, thanks.

Yeah, we're aware of the altitude, and have been warned we won't know how it will affect us until we're there. We're not sure if we'll feel up to a ride in the Sacred Valley but also are thinking about making our way to Aeraquipa; there are supposed to be a number of outfitters there and the altitude is lower. I've spent embarrassingly little time planning this, though, since that my son's job for this trip (a learning experience for both of us...)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guys at Bike magazine did a story about riding there, IIRC. A couple pro riders and a photog and a writer, I think. Check the website Bikemag.com. They might be able to help.

They list some services, but you might be able to write to them and ask questions.
    http://www.bikemag.com/searchresults...peru&go=+go+ht be able to help.
    Last edited by big john; 06-19-08 at 10:09 PM.

likes to mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like I got this thread a little late.

Next time you are in Peru, take a look to my website. We offer the best mountain bike trips you can imagine. From easy XC around Cusco and the Amazon jungle to extreme singletracks for free riding and downhill.
    Ride the best trails in Peru with www.inkasadventures.com