Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any healthy Vegetarians here?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any healthy Vegetarians here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-08, 05:11 AM
JAk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always thought I was eating right for me, mostly veg., organic, etc. Then I looked into the eat right for your blood type diet. I've been doing that for the past 4 mo. and wow big difference. I'll be 67 in August and I perform better than I did when I was 30. I still eat 80-90% organic, and mostly veg. yet with a twist.Check out, https://www.dadamo.com/
JAK
Old 06-21-08, 06:03 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
Never really likes Vegetables or Fruit so I am a meat eater.

Fruit is still something I can do without- Unless it is wrapped in Carbo-Hydrates, served hot with lashings of Custard over it. Vegetables on the other hand- I am a keen gardener. Over the years I have dabbled in growing my own veg but in the last 5 years I have noticed a dererioration in shop bought vegetables. So a couple of years ago- I set up a veggie plot. There is nothing better than going down the garden and picking a fresh cabbage- a few pods of peas or beans and a handfull of carrots and cooking fresh. The taste of a home-grown organic pesticide free vegetable is fantastic. I now eat a lot more vegetables than I used to and enjoy them- But only if they are served up with a good 6 to 8oz portion of Animal.
Yeah... somehow throwing bean sprouts on the grill just doesn't have the same appeal to me that grilling meat does.

However, I think many of the folks on the V-diets are there for specific reasons. Which thankfully I haven't found the necessity for... yet.

Just curious, for those on rigid V-diets, how do you deal with that when you travel and are gone for days at a time?
Old 06-21-08, 07:22 AM

Bikes: 2 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer. dawes Galaxy, 1985 Harry Hall racer, 1991 Raleigh Special Products 853 Race bike. 1985 Raleigh Royal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm curious. As mentioned many animals are vegetarion. How do bulls, gorillas, build all that muscle without protein?

Jim
Old 06-21-08, 08:56 AM
screenwasher

Bikes: Jamis Aurora 2007, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 2006, Trek Antelope 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The real question should perhaps be 'Any UNhealthy vegetarians here?'. In nearly six decades on a lacto-vegetarian diet, I have not had any related health issues or lack of protein intake. Most essential amino acids, minearals and vitamins are available from a balanced vegetarian diet. The one or two missing essential amino acids are in milk, cheese, yogurt etc.
Old 06-21-08, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MTBLover
As to dairy- Al, the study you're probaboiy referring to is the one by Park et al.: Am. J. Epidemiol., 1 December 2007; 166: 1270 - 1279. It is hardly conclusive, and only barely suggestive that skim milk (not any other kind) MAY be associated with increased risk of prostate cancer. There are a lot of reasons to be cautious in interpreting this study, and for now, I wouldn't suggest (yes, I'm an epidemiologist) that men stop drinking skim milk, even older men (the ones for while the slightly increased risk was the highest, but still minimal).
Not familiar with that study. The most solid data that I have comes from the China Study by Campbell. Note, this is the book, not the study report. The actual China study is but a small part of the book.

"A 2001 Harvard review of the research:

".........12 of 14 case-control studies and 7 of 9 cohort studies observed a positive association from some measure of dairy products and prostate cancer; this is one of the most consistent dietary predictors for prostate cancer in the published literature...................................... men with the highest dairy intakes had approximately double the risk of total prostate cancer and up to a fourfold increase in the risk of fatal cancer relative to low consumers.""

In my present situation, that's good enough for me to be an ultra low consumer. I'll eat a little cheese once in a while. This combined with a similar association with meat and cancer, while not "proof" (as Campbell states as well), but it indicates to me that treating animal based foods more as condiments until there is proof one way or the other may not a bad idea.

Al
Old 06-21-08, 09:41 AM

Bikes: Limongi custom road; GT Avalanche 1.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I eat occasional salmon, eggs, yogurt, and cheese, but otherwise qualify as a perfectly healthy and happy vegan.
Every now and then I'll rob a bank, but really I'm a law-abiding citizen.

???
Old 06-21-08, 09:49 AM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Al.canoe
Not familiar with that study. The most solid data that I have comes from the China Study by Campbell. Note, this is the book, not the study report. The actual China study is but a small part of the book.

"A 2001 Harvard review of the research:

".........12 of 14 case-control studies and 7 of 9 cohort studies observed a positive association from some measure of dairy products and prostate cancer; this is one of the most consistent dietary predictors for prostate cancer in the published literature...................................... men with the highest dairy intakes had approximately double the risk of total prostate cancer and up to a fourfold increase in the risk of fatal cancer relative to low consumers.""

In my present situation, that's good enough for me to be an ultra low consumer. I'll eat a little cheese once in a while. This combined with a similar association with meat and cancer, while not "proof" (as Campbell states as well), but it indicates to me that treating animal based foods more as condiments until there is proof one way or the other may not a bad idea.

Al

Yes, those studies do indicate some association, although the Park study is probably better (very large cohort). We'd need a randomized control trial to really get at this question, but of course that's never going to happen- too many ethical and practical issues. All that said, there is some biology that makes the association between dairy intake and ca plausible, but with any study of dietary habits, it's extremely difficult to really get at this question. (Think how hard it is to remember everything you ate over the past month or even week- that's how food recall data are gathered.) Even so, I'm with you here that it's probably best to either avoid or at least limit dairy intake, which I do- even though I'm ovo-lacto, I substitute soy milk when I can (like on cereal, for example).
Old 06-21-08, 09:52 AM
But on the road more

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe '07

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigjim1
I'm curious. As mentioned many animals are vegetarion. How do bulls, gorillas, build all that muscle without protein?

Jim
There is plenty of protein in non-animal sources. Check out this fascinating paper about the protein content in various grasses used for grazing.