My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Like my Bike -- Am I Missing Out?

Here's my Bottecchia, that I've had for many years:

It weighs 25 pounds. I recently frankenbiked it to add the higher handlebars.

I hear people say "Bikes have improved so much, you should get a much more efficient, lighter machine."

Now, understanding that I ride my bike primarily to keep in shape, what is it that I'm missing by keeping this bike?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what you are doing with it, a new bike wouldn't make much difference. If you were trying to go fast or keep up with faster people a new bike with lower bars would help. All that matters is if you are happy with your bike. What year is that frame?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    If you were trying to go fast or keep up with faster people a new bike with lower bars would help.

...and switching back to drop bars and some lighter wheels and tires (on your existing bike) would take care of 99% of that. Honestly, the bike doesn't make that big a difference. It's the motor.

SP

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For one thing-You are missing out on the friendly people coming up to you and saying "What a fantastic Blue/Red/Black/Pink bike you have got there. Don't seem to get many people complimenting white bikes.

So it weighs 25lbs- so what. It doesn't have modern gearing- so what. Possibly the wheels could be lighter to help you accelerate faster- so what.

If the bike is comfortable and it will get you out for a PIE ride- that is all you need.

Now if you want to do a century every week- train for the summer holidays in the mountains- Or do a time trial on it- then the bike is not the best around. If that is what you want a bike to do- then ask for suggestions here for a suitable bike- wait for the 50 replys and then go out and buy a new bike that rides the same as your current one. It works.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like it, keep riding it. That looks like a fine ride.

If you're curious about what you're missing -- and for some of us, this could be a financially dangerous suggestion -- visit an LBS or two and ride some current technology, maybe even a CF frame. But pick something with "relaxed geometry" since you are used to higher bars.

Brifters are pretty nice. So are smooth-shifting derailleurs and brakes that stop you quickly.

For me, a nicer bike has resulted in me riding more. Not sure why, probably because it's an even more-pleasant experience.

But otherwise, what bobbycorno said . . .
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a sweet bike. When people talk about how much new bikes have improved, they aren't talking about older bikes as nice as yours.

You should get a new bike because N+1 demands that you do. But not because there is anything lacking in your bike. Even if you get a new bike you should keep the Bottecchia and continue to ride it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A man visited a hooker. She looked at him and asked "Who do you think you're going to satisfy with that little thing?" Answer: "Me."

When people say "Bikes have improved so much you should get a more efficient, lighter machine." What' they are really saying is you're bike wouldn't satisfy them. It doesn't have to. It only needs to satisfy you.

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, guys.

What year is that frame?
    I bought the bike new in October, 1991.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a sweet ride! But as most, if not all, of the responses have stated, if it works for you that's what matters. I liken it to an old muscle car and a new bike as maybe a new high performance car. They both have a place in your garage and if the wallet is OK with it you should own both, just sayin'
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually.
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the handlebars and the funny little "kickstand."
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    That is a sweet bike. When people talk about how much new bikes have improved, they aren't talking about older bikes as nice as yours.
    +1

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something is obviously wrong with you if you are satisfied with what you have and aren't constantly craving new, improved stuff. Maybe you should talk with someone.
    Ohmigosh, look at that, real platform pedals. Not BMX-style platforms.
    Last edited by JanMM; 06-20-08 at 07:50 PM. Reason: improvement

My Bikes
    Norco (4), Miyata, Canondale, Specialized, K2 Proflex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd probably "sidegrade" the shifters to re-locate them up onto the handlebars but other than that you've got a very sweet bike there.

After all some very excellent frames came from the early 90's when the "steel wars" were in full swing. And more speeds isn't always better anyway and that's the only real advantage you'd get from a shift to a new(er) bike.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I like the handlebars and the funny little "kickstand."
    Rhode Gear Flickstand, I think.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Now, understanding that I ride my bike primarily to keep in shape, what is it that I'm missing by keeping this bike?
    You're not missing anything by keeping the bike. To me it's important to ride for fun though, keeping in shape is a side benefit. If you're having fun, then you're not missing anything. Well, except maybe the fun of riding a MTB on some singletrack... N+1

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now to give the alternative to my previous answer.

Bikes have improved in the last 17 years. Drive train quality has improved greatly and although the extra gears may not be necessary- the smoothness of the changes is a joy to have. Frames and accessories have got lighter and the materials have got more "Suitable" for our aging bodies. Then the wheels and tyres have gone on a diet and shed weight- are made of better materials and are more efficient. Then there is the joy of combining all that together into a bike that is far easier to propel onwards and upwards.

Get yourself out to an LBS that can offer you a few test rides on the different bikes and different Materials. It would be interesting for us if you were to try out a modern bike and let us know what you think of them. Only thing is- Leave the credit card at home. Don't want any rash purchases being made. Before any new purchase is made- you have to come back to us with a choice of about 3 bikes you like and ask our opinions. We will then give you a further 20 suggestions on what you should buy- just to confound you. Won't make any difference as unless the new bikes are FAR better than the bottechia- you won't be buying.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That nice bike does not preclude you having another bike. Depending on your area, you may rent a bike that is different than your existing setup. That's a way to find out if "you're missing something".

My Bikes
    3 Raleigh Sprints. 1 Saracen tourer.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep trying newer bikes and you will keep spending money. Money you could spend on other things like bike trips. Most so called improvements are part of the sales & marketing thing. As long as your bike is well serviced and set up you should get all the pleasure you need out of it. Don't be seduced by the I've got better, wheels, frames, gears fanatics you meet on bike forums unless you want to. I have old [1980s with steel frames. bike weight 20lbish]and new bikes. the big improvements for me are being able to change gear without having to move my hands from the bars. Thats it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bicycle technology has improved a lot in the past 20 years, but it is a matter of opinion whether or not the bikes themselves have improved.

Paul

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would say that if you like your bike then your not missing a thing. If you were suddenly find a different sort of riding that you bike was less satisfactory at then you might think about something new.

The rest of us are just bike storage facilities looking for customers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not missing out on anything if you're not racing it. I can't say that I would want to ride my road bike with handlebars way up though (mine's a classic, traditional type road bike too). That's got to really mess up the fine handling that would have been built into this frame (and going out on a limb, I would think the bike would become a bit unstable), and also put almost all of your weight on your butt. Hopefully, you won't be riding very far. Any reason why you can't ride it with handlebars level with the saddle? I know that when I started riding more after a layoff due to illness, I had to let my body get used to the lower handlebars. It just feels unnatural at first.

My Bikes
    Surly long haul trucker and steamroller
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have road a few new bikes at the local bike shops (you know ,while your here try this ) only thing I have tried that I liked so far was a trek drift3 but not enough to part with one of my other bikes to make room for it or the money to buy it. drop handlebars just don't do anything for me. If I want to get there faster I'll drive my truck
    I like that bike by the way
    but there again I not one who wants all the latest ,greatest stuff but doesn't bother me if someone else does want it
    Roy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if you like it as it is, then that's all that matters. I guarantee you that you're not missing any advantages you need. Good riding!

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if that bike frame was made in Italy I'd say you should without haste get it boxed up and send it to me ( I will pay for the shipping) and get yourself one of the fanciest new rides coming out of China manufactured in a state of the art sterile environment where robots did most of the work, because there is nothing better than a souless machine made from an unobtanium alloy that nobody can pronounce outfitted with components so high tech that you have to take it to an authorized factory trained mechanic to get it serviced. Then after the high of a new bike wears off you can go get an old gaspipe Schwinn to get the feeling of being connected to the reason we ride in the first place for FUN. PS. This post written with tongue semi firmly planted in cheek Thats a beautiful bike ride the snot out of it and like most posters here I say don't worry about what the so called experts are saying
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

If you get the smiles per mile, you are missing nothing. I'm bringing back my early '70s American Eagle/Nishiki.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast