Thread: Bike Fitment

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike Fitment

Just curious. I spent some time at the dealer, and they reccomended a 56cm bike for me. I am 5'11".

The only reason I ask, is I have the seat almost all the way down on my Trek 1.5T. There are not even markings on the post there. Most riders I see have almost 12" of post showing. I have maybe 6" or less.

I can straddle the biken and the bar is slightly touching (the boys) but I'm not resting on it.

I feel if I got a smaller bike, with a higher seat, then I would have a more bent over angle to the handlebars. For this reason, I like the seat being down low.

Do you see any reason I should have gone smaller?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. Stand over height is not a major factor in fitting a bike. Reach to the bars and hence top tube length- Is. Those bikes you have seen with 12" of seat post are probably compact frames. In fact- I ride a 51cm frame at 5'6" short and a 30" inseam, so a 56 is probably in the ball park for your height
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having the seat too low does not allow for proper leg extension while pedaling. ie, the leg should be almost straight at the bottom of the stroke. To get the proper bar height to go with this saddle position, a different stem height, angle and length is called for. To go along with theses ways to set the bar height, different styles of bikes will have different head tube lengths. Racing frames will have a very short head tube so that the bars can be set as low as possible. Comfort bikes will have a longer head tube because it is assumed that the bars will be up higher.

It is common to see bicycle frames with a sloping top tube (called a compact frame). This type of frame will require a longer seatpost to get the saddle up to the same height above the pedals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can just barely straddle the top tube of the bike, but you have the seat so low that you have no seat post showing? I'm pretty sure the dealer's size recommendation will be a much better bet for you. Let them set you up on it too, because your seat has got to be way too low.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

tsl
    My Bikes
    1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 5'-10". Bike fit is a lot like clothing.

In some clothes I wear a medium, and in others a large. Even in those cases where there are numbers (jeans, dress shirts) it depends on the maker and the cut. Sometimes I wear a 33 sleeve, sometimes a 34.

Bikes are the same way. I ride a 2000 58cm Trek 1000 and a 2006 56cm Trek Portland. Both bikes fit me perfectly. Because their geometries (like the cut of clothes) are slightly different, they fit me differently, and with different amounts of seatpost showing. But the fit of each is perfect.

Forget what your head thinks, go with what your body says when you ride.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
    You can just barely straddle the top tube of the bike, but you have the seat so low that you have no seat post showing? I'm pretty sure the dealer's size recommendation will be a much better bet for you. Let them set you up on it too, because your seat has got to be way too low.
    I have 6" of seat post showing. Bike feels good. If I was leaning any further, it would be painful. I might even get a slightly higher rise on the bars.

Gary F.

2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
    2012 Specialized Crux Disc
    My bike page: http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
    Build a bike stand! http://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would go with the advice of the guy who fits bikes for a living before someone on the internet I have never met.

Since you asked.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two frames- One compact--The Giant- and the other a sloping tube conventional frame. Funnily enough- these two frames have the same amount of seat tube showing--But saddle to pedal reach is the same- Fore and aft of seat to pedal is the same. Difference is down to ther factors. Different bottom bracket height and Length of Cranks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What trouser inseam do you wear? I stand 5'8", wear 30" pants, and find a 55cm traditional frame (horizontal top tube) perfect. However, as others have noted, top tube length is crucial, and the ideal frame gives you a proper back angle and a good standover simultaneously. If you are long in the arms, short in the torso, etc., you will either have to compromise somewhere or buy a custom-built frame.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how does the bike feel when you ride it? If it feels good, don't try to "fix" it.