Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

No Riding, Today We SING

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

No Riding, Today We SING

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 06:14 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
No Riding, Today We SING

No Riding, Today We SING

The a cappella gospel singing group which I started 2.5 years ago has been invited to sing at the 9th Annual Rocky Mountain Grass Fest today at 1:20, at the El Paso County Fairgrounds near Colorado Springs. Almost 40 groups sing for 3 days.

Here is one of our songs (recorded live):

Here is our group. You can see us and listen to other songs here.

Here is our program:

Wonderful Grace of Jesus
Heaven Came Down and Glory Filled My Soul
Because He Lives
Amazing Grace
Just a Little Talk with Jesus
The Church in the Wildwood
Love Lifted Me
This is my Song
Send the Light
Mansion Over the Hilltop

Our group ranges from 63 to 78 years old (eat your heart out, PCad) except for this one performance one of our leads is out of town, so we included another senior (high school senior, that is)

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-28-08 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-29-08, 05:59 AM
Banned.

We had a GREAT performance. Many, many compliments and requests that we come back again next year.

There were a whole lot of "family" bands there - mom and dad and their 8 kids, all playing something or other. All "home schooled" and "home churched." Some families live out of their RV with no real "home," traveling from one venue to another.

We were the only a cappella group, and it was a nice change.
Old 06-29-08, 06:16 AM
Cycler

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess nobody cares...so I'll help pad the post count.

Seriously, you have my admiration for doing this, since no one would want my voice in any sort of singing group! Do you sing while you ride? I sometimes find I am doing that and have to keep it in check, lest I really make a fool of myself.
Old 06-29-08, 06:25 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Suzie Green
I guess nobody cares...so I'll help pad the post count.

Seriously, you have my admiration for doing this, since no one would want my voice in any sort of singing group! Do you sing while you ride? I sometimes find I am doing that and have to keep it in check, lest I really make a fool of myself.
Sometimes I post knowing in advance that hardly anyone will respond (or even bother to look at) the post. I.e., this post has had ony 27 viewings, likely most of them "guests" to the forum.

I still post anyway, as it does my soul good.

Someimes I sing while riding but not generally.

I am strangely constituted in that I have absolutely no memory for lyrics, while I have a great memory for the musical notes. So, I guess I might hum!

All of our singing is done WITH sheet music. We have determined that most of us are lyric-memory challenged!

And, THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE.

Once I titled a post

"Nude Bicyclers - pictures."

I got a LOT of people viewing (and responding) to that post - even though there were no nude pics of bicyclers.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-29-08 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-29-08, 06:33 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
No Riding, Today We SING

The a cappella gospel singing group which I started 2.5 years ago has been invited to sing at the 9th Annual Rocky Mountain Grass Fest today at 1:20, at the El Paso County Fairgrounds near Colorado Springs. Almost 40 groups sing for 3 days.

Here is one of our songs (recorded live):

Here is our group. You can see us and listen to other songs here.

Here is our program:

Wonderful Grace of Jesus
Heaven Came Down and Glory Filled My Soul
Because He Lives
Amazing Grace
Just a Little Talk with Jesus
The Church in the Wildwood
Love Lifted Me
This is my Song
Send the Light
Mansion Over the Hilltop

Our group ranges from 63 to 78 years old (eat your heart out, PCad) except for this one performance one of our leads is out of town, so we included another senior (high school senior, that is)

Dnver, I sing, too. I was in the Cherry Creek Chorale (found Mrs. Road Fan there!) when I lived in Denver, and now I'm in a group here in Ann Arbor. Congrats on teh invitation and the performance, even though you needed a ringer!

Anything on YouTube?

Road Fan
Old 06-29-08, 06:36 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Dnver, I sing, too. I was in the Cherry Creek Chorale (found Mrs. Road Fan there!) when I lived in Denver, and now I'm in a group here in Ann Arbor. Congrats on teh invitation and the performance, even though you needed a ringer!

Anything on YouTube?

Road Fan
We did two videos of the performance. Perhaps one will turn out, and, if we can figure it out, we will post on our own web site, and perhaps YouTube - but I haven't a clue as to how to do that.

My DSL is so slow that everything I watch on YouTube stops and starts all the time, mostly "buffering."
Old 06-29-08, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
I'm a choir boy as well. Good post!
Old 06-29-08, 07:17 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Good for you! Being able to sing and finding a good group of people to sing with can be a very rewarding thing. Once the love of performing music is in you, you just have to find a way to let it out occasionally. Looks like you have found a good way.

While our tastes in style and subject matter are very distant, I share your addiction. Keep on singing!
Old 06-29-08, 07:22 AM
Banned.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Good for you! Being able to sing and finding a good group of people to sing with can be a very rewarding thing. Once the love of performing music is in you, you just have to find a way to let it out occasionally. Looks like you have found a good way.

While our tastes in style and subject matter are very distant, I share your addiction. Keep on singing!
Some of us in the larger group also do some barbershop - non-religious stuff.

We are also getting together a "Christmas Program" which willbe a variety.

My wife's singing group does not sing any religious songs:

https://members.aol.com/kindredsingers