Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to find yourself lying in the creek fastened to a bicycle

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's easy. Go buy a new mountain bike and ride it. First creek crossing you come to, just go for it, never mind whether you know how steep the little channel you have to cross is or how soft the gravel bottom is.

I've been thinking about a mountain bike for a while now, I'm very close to some of the best trails in the state. Plus I want something to ride on gravel and around dog trials. I'm a good sized fellow thus the decision to go with a 29'er, mine is the 21.5" frame size. It fits nice after changing out the stem for one that is a bit shorter and with about 30 degrees of rise.

Even though my back is a bit sore today from yesterday's tumble, I'm sure this bike will be a lot of fun and let me go more places than ever.

Old 06-22-08, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
Go buy a new mountain bike and ride it.

I'm sure this bike will be a lot of fun and let me go more places than ever.
That sounds like a good formula to me
Old 06-22-08, 09:18 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My you are full of surprises there T-man. You have a mountain man side, eh?

I would love to have video of your attempted creek crossing.

Nice bike. I like the simple lines, the hard tail, and browns are amongst my favorite bike colors. The overall effect is very effective.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-22-08, 09:18 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What a beautiful color that is! Is yours the same color?
Old 06-22-08, 09:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
My you are full of surprises there T-man. You have a mountain man side, eh?

I would love to have video of your attempted creek crossing.

Nice bike. I like the simple lines, the hard tail, and browns are amongst my favorite bike colors. The overall effect is very effective.
Originally Posted by solveg
What a beautiful color that is! Is yours the same color?
Thanks! Yes, my bike is the same in every detail as the one in the picture. It's a pretty basic 29'er, but still a decent bike. I rode several and liked the fit on this one best among the ones that I was willing to pay for. Also in the running was a Rockhopper 29'er but this one has a bit better components and it was in stock. I did not care at all for the Stumpjumper 29'er or the Kona that I test rode. I also rode a Gary Fisher but it was out of my price range and was more bike than I think I will ever need.

No video, but just imagine a guy riding into this cold clear little Ozarks stream immediately going into panic mode as he realizes the bottom is very soft and the channel is very steep, then that same guy suddenly on his side in that same creek which was about 2 feet deep, trying to unclip and wondering if anything is broken and then realizing damn, that hurt, and damn, I am glad my collarbone is not broken. It got the mud and rocks off the bike though. Maybe that was a bit too much for my first time ever on the trails, do you think?

They call the color Gloss Cola. It's metallic and looks better in person.
Old 06-22-08, 09:44 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a Felt Nine Comp, isn't it? Did you go with the stock bike, or change anything out?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-22-08, 09:44 AM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrierman
They call the color Gloss Cola. It's metallic and looks better in person.
Did you scrape the paint up??? Gloss Cola is a great name for the color.

Isn't a 21" mountain bike like a 25" road bike? Also, is that full suspension? Is that why the seatpost is so tall?

If it is* full suspension, tell me the truth... it still hurts to go over bumps, doesn't it?
Old 06-22-08, 10:18 AM

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
Yep, creeks have gotten me a few times!! Once, in Pa., when I hit a large rock that threw my front wheel out, and dumped me in the creek, and another time in Davis, W.Va., when I found out there was a large "sandbar" in the creek-stopped me in my tracks! Luckily, both days were hot, so the dunkings were a welcome refreshment. Nice bike!! Heard the 29" wheels are better at roots and rocks that 26", but I guess streams can't tell the difference.
Old 06-22-08, 10:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a Felt Nine Comp, isn't it? Did you go with the stock bike, or change anything out?
The only things I had them change were the stem and pedals. Stem shorter and with more rise. Pedals are the SPD on one side and platforms on the other. It had the cheapie platforms for test rides on in the shop, I don't suppose putting the pedals on would actually be considered a change.

It did have a squalling rear brake that also did not have good stopping power, they cleaned and cleaned on it, finally had to put new pads on to get it to stop squalling and to also get stronger braking action. Seems fine now.

Isn't a 21" mountain bike like a 25" road bike? Also, is that full suspension? Is that why the seatpost is so tall?

If it is* full suspension, tell me the truth... it still hurts to go over bumps, doesn't it?
I shielded the bike from damage with my body. No scratches.

The frame size on my Coda is also a 21.5 and it is not freakishly large, so I think a 21 is pretty much a 21. The bike is not full suspension, just the front fork. The Rock Shox Tora that is on this bike is not a really top end fork, but is still pretty comfortable to ride, I have not approached it's maximum range of motion yet. I think a lot of mountain bikes have that sloping top tube that makes the seat post look like it is very high.
Old 06-22-08, 10:32 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Welcome to the darker side....................absolutely georgeous bike.

Congratulations on a spectacular membership in club Tombay with extra points from protecting the bike with your body.

Add to your sig line........."Its all downhill from here including the underwater parts. Except for the parts that are uphill."

It may not seem so at the present, but falling off of a mountain bike is not usually as bad as falling off of a road bike.
Old 06-22-08, 10:51 AM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Terrierman, All I can say is been there, done that.
I managed to hit the creek at full speed and take flying lessons over the bars right in front of my freind and a group of other MTBers. I had no excuse, I had been mountain biking for over a year and should have known better. I had my clipless on and they worked great pulling the bike right down on top of me.
Like they say over in the Mountain Bike forum, anyone who claims to be a mountain biker and says they have never fallen when riding a mountain trail is either lying or not really riding mountain trails. Best of luck with that 29er and keep on riding those trails.
Old 06-22-08, 10:56 AM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You know what I really like about this bike, and it's silly, I know....is how upscale the logo treatment is. It looks exceptionally classy, and I would like* seeing this bike in the middle of the woods, and I can't say that about many bikes.
Old 06-22-08, 10:56 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
Congratulations on a spectacular membership in club Tombay with extra points from protecting the bike with your body.
Double extra points for also throwing in a splashdown.

Old 06-22-08, 10:57 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how fast do you think you were going when you entered the creek? And were there any witnesses, even after the crash?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-22-08, 11:08 AM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You are right, this is a big bike. A 21.5" MTB is the largest size many companies make, and is equivalent to a road bike of at least 62-63cm. Usually this size is recommended for people with inseams of 35-36" or longer. Although the significant measurement is the top tube. The 21.5" Felt has an effective top tube of 613mm, which is very long. I get stretched out once I get much over 570.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 06-22-08 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-22-08, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has trouble with creek crossings. Cool bike, T man.
Old 06-22-08, 01:06 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Creek and ditch crossings require a little bit of forethought. Sit back in the saddle and lift the front wheel- and pedal like mad. A light front wheel will not stick in the soft mud and the pedal like mad is to get the rear wheel through.

And I am sorry- A mountain bike is not a mountain bike untill it has a few scratches on it. I was always worried about a new MTB until I had taken it to its limits- or mine- and then scraped it along the trail. Teaches you to fall properly and if you do that often enough- you become expert at it.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-22-08, 02:13 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the bike!

It doesn't have any mud on it. Did you wash it off in the creek

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 06-22-08, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ooooo... that's real purty, T'man... but falling over in the creek? And you couldn't unclip? Tsk.
But bug props for the boyish enthusiam

I like Felts.
Old 06-22-08, 06:21 PM

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of my most memorable crashes was in the middle of a creek. Actually, I shared that crash with two other bikers. We basically had the creek bottom covered. They were already down when I entered with the idea of going around. Bad idea. No one hurt. Minor damage to my bike. A bit cool for the rest of the ride.
Nice bike. Hope you the best with it.
Old 06-22-08, 06:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
So how fast do you think you were going when you entered the creek? And were there any witnesses, even after the crash?
Slow enough to not go over the bars and not fast enough to make it through. No witnesses. Question: If nobody sees the fall or hears the groans after, did a fall really happen?

You are right, this is a big bike. A 21.5" MTB is the largest size many companies make, and is equivalent to a road bike of at least 62-63cm. Usually this size is recommended for people with inseams of 35-36" or longer. Although the significant measurement is the top tube. The 21.5" Felt has an effective top tube of 613mm, which is very long. I get stretched out once I get much over 570.
My mistake, it is a large frame which is 19.5". That makes a lot more sense for 6'1" even with longish legs. The bike rides a lot bigger than the 19" Rockhopper 29'er that I tried out so I guess I conclusion jumped that it was a 21.5

Originally Posted by stapfam
Creek and ditch crossings require a little bit of forethought. Sit back in the saddle and lift the front wheel- and pedal like mad. A light front wheel will not stick in the soft mud and the pedal like mad is to get the rear wheel through.

And I am sorry- A mountain bike is not a mountain bike untill it has a few scratches on it. I was always worried about a new MTB until I had taken it to its limits- or mine- and then scraped it along the trail. Teaches you to fall properly and if you do that often enough- you become expert at it.
Son Chris had the same advice on creek crossing. He also recommended staying out of the clips for the next few times out. What do you think? About falling expertise - if practice makes perfect and the future resembles the past, I expect to soon be showing improvement.

Originally Posted by Beverly
Love the bike!

It doesn't have any mud on it. Did you wash it off in the creek
Sure did.

Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
Ooooo... that's real purty, T'man... but falling over in the creek? And you couldn't unclip? Tsk.
But bug props for the boyish enthusiam

I like Felts.
I think I will like this one. Went for a little neighborhood dial in spin this afternoon, and it rides a lot quieter now. So far, I even like the saddle.
Old 06-23-08, 09:13 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
From one aging mountain biker to another: after one year of feeling like my prostate gland was being flattened out by a meat tenderizing mallet, I bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster. I have the long travel version. It's wonderful, worth the wieght, and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it.
Old 06-23-08, 10:39 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
From one aging mountain biker to another: after one year of feeling like my prostate gland was being flattened out by a meat tenderizing mallet, I bought a Cane Creek Thudbuster. I have the long travel version. It's wonderful, worth the wieght, and I haven't had a bit of trouble with it.
And you wont have either- Those things are engineered to last. Have one on the Tandem and who needs suspension?

Spike Milligan
Old 06-23-08, 11:13 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
At the risk of repeating what everyone else has already said...that is one
sweet looking ride!