Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wore out my first tire

Got my bike in April 2007. I have since put on about 3000 miles on it. This morning on a dicey descent I noticed I was fishtailing while hitting the brakes. I just thought it was from a wet road surface. Just now looking at the bike I can see the rubber on my rear tire is completely gone in a few sections and I can see the underlying belt. Is 3000 miles typical tire life or should I be getting more out of my tires? The front tire looks fine in comparison. I did put about 150 trainer miles on it over the winter, and the rear tire was actually looking square compared to the front one. Just glad I didn't get a flat during this mornings ride.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3000 miles seem reasonable. Typically the 23's I run on my bikes gie me between 1800 and 2400 miles before they start getting to tread bare to be safe. BTW, even if you had not done the miles on your trainer, the rear tire will wear out sooner because it typically carries more weight than the front.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Just finished installing a new pair of tires I had bought last summer. At the time of the purchase I was toying with swapping the 23cm tires for the 25's that came with the bike. Never did it because of the work involved. After 45 minutes of cussing, I have 2 new tires on the bike. Folding tires sure are a PITA to mount.

Now mynext dilemma. Do the bike tires just go in the trash, or is there someplace that recycles them? I know when I purchase tires for my car I have to pay a disposal fee on the old tires. Have no idea what the service center does with the old tires.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    At the time of the purchase I was toying with swapping the 23cm tires for the 25's that came with the bike. Never did it because of the work involved. After 45 minutes of cussing, I have 2 new tires on the bike. Folding tires sure are a PITA to mount.
    If you have the chance go with the 23cm tires. I went from a 28cm to a 25cm & it really made a difference in speed. I weigh a little to much to go to 23's I think but I did notice a difference.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I wear out a rear tire before its mate, as is quite common, I buy one new tire for the front and move the old front tire to the rear, on the theory that a front blowout is a much bigger disaster than a rear.

In San Diego County, the B&L chain of shops accepts tires and tubes for recycling.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 3,500 out of my first set. You're probably due a new set.

My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    If I wear out a rear tire before its mate, as is quite common, I buy one new tire for the front and move the old front tire to the rear, on the theory that a front blowout is a much bigger disaster than a rear.
    ^^^

+1....don't dump the old front tire, keep it and put it on the back or keep it as a spare, or at least to use on the trainer next winter.

You should use a 'disposable' tire for the trainer, since it chews up the tire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a bit compulsive about having matching tires. Although John E's method is the by far the most logical, for us fanatics it means we can't switch tire brands or models.

Alas, I'm back to rotating tires to get the most from a set. However, I don't recommend this method.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indoor trainers wear tires out fast. I have had as little as 500 mi. on some tires that need replaced. You did quite well if you got 3000+ miles. Replace before it causes a crash.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by w2brdbkr View Post
    If you have the chance go with the 23cm tires. I went from a 28cm to a 25cm & it really made a difference in speed. I weigh a little to much to go to 23's I think but I did notice a difference.
    Just to be contrary, I switched from 23s to 25s, same brand, same model (Michelin Pro). Absolutely no difference in speed, but big improvements in comfort, cornering and durability. I'll never use 23s again.

Scott P
    Bend, OR

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got 2500 miles on the original Bontragers that came on my bike. I have a set of Conti GP4000's on the way as I anticipate needing a change sometime in the next 500-1000 miles or so. Like Louis, I need/want to have matching tires on the bike. sigh.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dead easy for me- I have michelin Pro 2's in 23's on all the road bikes. Rear tyre wears out and I just replace that tyre. I do not like changing the stress on the sidewall of a tyre from front where it is steering to rear where it will take more sidewall pressure. I Have just got to the stage where the rear tyre on the Handbuilt wheels has done about 3,000 miles and I can just see a flat coming on it. Got a few miles to go yet before it is replaced. The front still has the mould marks on it so age or glass will finish that off.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan