Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your bike fails in the middle of nowhere. What do you do?

Let's say you are riding a long way from home . . . maybe over a couple hundred miles away and something on your bike breaks that is irreparable and you can't go on. You can't call any friends cause they are too far away. You know no one in the area. You are too tired to walk 20 miles to the nearest motel and too hungry. What do you do?
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's when I would pull my cherry pie out of my saddle bag.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine a lot of long distance tourers have faced this situation. I've read several accounts of where local people would help them. Haul them and their bike to a bike shop or motel. There are a lot of friendly people out there.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    That's when I would pull my cherry pie out of my saddle bag.
    Would you use that pie to bribe people to help you?

In all seriousness, though, I often worry about this. Sometimes I am far from home and just don't know what I'd do. I guess I'd have to go door knocking for help.
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

My Bikes
    2014 Pivot Mach 5.7 MTB, 2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like this happened to me once while touring in the Trinity Alps, Northern California.

I was alone and cut a tire on a rock. The tire was slashed really badly; I couldn't boot it with anything I had on the bike. I hitchhiked a ride (for me and my bike) to the closest town, which (I think) might have been Happy Camp, California...about 100 miles from closest bike shop. I asked around for help, and found a forest ranger who was willing to sell me a tire off his bike.

Really, the whole thing went from disaster to on my way down the road in a couple of hours, as I recall...it didn't even take me that long to hitch a ride, even though it was a low-traffic road. The only real problem I had is that the new tire didn't fit quite right and I was worried for a couple of days that I would have more tire trouble (but I didn't).

A couple of days later, when I got to Mt. Shasta, I went to a bike shop, bought the forest ranger a replacement tire and mailed it to him.
    Last edited by BengeBoy; 06-24-08 at 12:54 PM.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan) View Post
    Let's say you are riding a long way from home . . . maybe over a couple hundred miles away and something on your bike breaks that is irreparable and you can't go on. You can't call any friends cause they are too far away. You know no one in the area. You are too tired to walk 20 miles to the nearest motel and too hungry. What do you do?
    Bend over and kiss your arse goodbye.

If you do eventually find your way back, though, get better friends. You shouldn't be able to ride a bicycle further than a friend is willing to drive a vehicle to pick you up. My wife might let me simmer a few hours first, but even she would eventually come get me.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do what I did a few summers back in the Texas hill country. Stand there by the road looking hot, sweaty, forlorn, but quite non-threatening. Two fine looking female kayakers stopped their truck and asked if I was OK. "No!" Need a ride? "Yes!" Put it in the back and get in. . They took me straight to a motel... the one where I was staying.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you use that pie to bribe people to help you?

In all seriousness, though, I often worry about this. Sometimes I am far from home and just don't know what I'd do. I guess I'd have to go door knocking for help.
    Don't worry, be happy. Keep your bike in good shape, carry a few tools, hitchhike if it comes to that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    Do what I did a few summers back in the Texas hill country. Stand there by the road looking hot, sweaty, forlorn, but quite non-threatening. Two fine looking female kayakers stopped their truck and asked if I was OK. "No!" Need a ride? "Yes!" Put it in the back and get in. . They took me straight to a motel... the one where I was staying.
    Knowing you as I do, it is safe to assume the motel is the one where YOU were staying, not one where WE stayed. Which only goes to prove the accuracy of the post above that said there are a lot of nice people out there. Thankfully.

It's really a no worries situation. What is the worst that can happen? You spend a night by the side of the road and walk your bike 'til some good soul takes the opportunity to lend a helping hand, It's what you would do if you saw a biker in need, right?
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
    They took me straight to a motel... the one where I was staying.
    You built and shattered the fantasies of hundreds of male 50+ers in one short sentence.

But seriously, to answer Tony's question, if I had no choice I suppose I would try to flag down a car of find a house. As another poster mentioned, I would try to look non-threatening.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you jack up your cycling shorts and show some leg?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^ not if he wanted help.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I DO kinda look like your everyday axe murderer.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that happened to me I guess I'd pull out my 6 shooter and put one into the headset to put the faithless steed out of its misery. Then I'd roast it over a fire and eat it to maintain my health. All the while looking up for signs of circling buzzards..... Remember to suck the marrow out of the frame tubes. The newbies always forget how much nourishment that marrow has in it.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming that you would have a cell phone ... although if you are really out in a desolate area, it might not get a signal. But if you do, then you could always call the police to get assistance. If you can get to any kind of store or restaurant or gas station, you could find someway to get help. Around here most farmers would be glad to lend a helping hand.

Personally I'd be more nervous about breaking down in a bad part of a city than out in a rural area.

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That happened to me years and years ago on a tour in northern Vermont. I sat by the side of the road with my broken bike (burned-out rear wheel bearings) and looked pathetic. Finally, after a few hours (I read a book I had with me) a guy in a pickup stopped and asked if I wanted a ride. He took me into some town (I think it was Waitsfield), that had a hardware store that sold bikes. They helped me take the rear hub apart, took out the cracked bearings, re-packed the hub, and sent me off with a stern warning to get to a "real" bike shop in Montpelier and buy a new rear bearing set. They scolded me for letting the bearings "go dry" for so long (Jeeze! I didn't know about that stuff then...). On the way, I twisted off the front skewer, but that's a different story.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cell phone transmission works off towers. How about the satellite types? Aren't there any products that use satellites?

Bicycle Repair Man !!! Sixty Fiver's Avatar
    My Bikes
    See my sig...
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    If that happened to me I guess I'd pull out my 6 shooter and put one into the headset to put the faithless steed out of its misery. Then I'd roast it over a fire and eat it to maintain my health. All the while looking up for signs of circling buzzards..... Remember to suck the marrow out of the frame tubes. The newbies always forget how much nourishment that marrow has in it.
    Brilliant.

Leaving now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A spare foldup tire in the kit would seem to be in order. I will not post it but there is something called the 7P Theory that starts out "P**s poor planning leads to ...........".

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assume a zen-like position in the middle of the road (ala Buddha). Meditate on the joy of living. Let whatever is going to happen next happen next.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would click the heels of my ruby slippers and say "There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

As said before, find help or find a place to sleep.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If your bike falls in the middle of nowhere and there are no pictures......................................

then it didn't happen.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    If your bike falls in the middle of nowhere and there are no pictures......................................

then it didn't happen.
    Club Tombay rule?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call Triple B (BBB)?
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-24-08 at 12:10 PM.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have many "In the middle of nowhere" bits over here. All you would have to do is turn the bike upside down and sit by the side of it. Won't be long before a Cyclist comes along and asks if you need help. And if you are lucky- he will be on his way home from work in his car and offer you a lift.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast