User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunrise Adventure

This was the name of a 3-day event put on by the League of Michigan Bicyclists up in Rogers City, which is along the Lake Huron shore about 50 miles down from Mackinaw. A quiet town in a quiet area of the state. All ages were represented, from families with teenagers up to a great-grandmother I met that was showing off her new Ultegra-equipped, full-carbon LeMond. At 61, I wasn't much over the median age.

Each day had a variety of route options ranging from 20-70 miles. I rode the maximum each day for a total of 187 miles with Saturday's 72 being the longest. That alone was 10 more miles than I'd ever gone in a day, and the roads were surprisingly hilly in places. But at least the weather was perfect: clear skies, lows in the 50s to a high around 70, and no wind to speak of. We rode mainly on county roads with very light traffic. US-23 was the only "main" highway we rode on, and that had 4-foot paved shoulders and not much traffic.

The rest of the ammenities were good, with a couple of buffet dinners and coupon vouchers for some of the breakfasts. There were concerts a couple of evenings in the city park that was also the event HQ, and everyplace in town had a "welcome cyclists" attitude -- this was one of the big events of the season for them.

Anyway, here are a few pictures that I took along the way. The shoreline of a Great Lake is always a beautiful sight on a clear day:

These hills went on for miles:

And I could've done without this one near the end of a long day:

Lots of clear, smooth roads like this:

This was the breakfast spread on Saturday, put on by one of the small local churches:

This is what you call having a small carbon footprint, I guess:

Me, but before I put on the two lbs. that I gained from overenjoying the food on this trip!

Anyway, I would highly recommend this event. Nice roads, nice people, nice surroundings, and the cost of the whole weekend was very reasonable.

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a great ride with terrific scenery. Great pics!
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gained 2lbs---That was you eating correctly and fat being converted to muscle

Sounds like the ideal ride. Milage as you want and 3 days of it. But with a breakfast spread like that- I may have been taking a shorter distance.

And those hills are always in the wrong place. Next year do it in reverse and find the Downhills.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact, 1981 Raleigh Super Record 10-sp, Trek 4900 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a fan of Michigan all my life -- my grandfather had a small farm there which we visited often when I was a kid. My wife and I and some friends plan to spend a week around Mackinaw in August, and you can bet biking will be involved!
    2008 Specialized Allez Elite Compact
    1981 Raleigh Super Record
    Trek 4900 MTB
    My blog: "Bike Noob" http://bikenoob.wordpress.com

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the first picture: your bike and the lake. It sounds like a very pleasant way to spend three days.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

The cat says Merry Xmas Pamestique's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2002 Lemond Zurich, 2006 Santa Cruz Superlight, 2010 Landshark, 2012 Santa Cruz Juliana, 2014 Juliana Premiero Origin 29er and last but not least, the "Frankenweenie"!
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW beautiful scenery and holey moley - look at that food!!!!! yummy yummy!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice report and pictures.

The League of Michigan Bicyclists has some nice tours. Some friends and I did their western shoreline tour last year. Your pictures of the hills certainly reminded me of the tour One of the riders swears he's never crossing the state line into Michigan again because of the hills
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith