Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is there a 'bent in my future?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-08, 12:46 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Walking over to Twiggs this morning for coffee, I spot a 50+er zipping along on his recumbent. For the first time, I found myself saying, "That's a cool bike. I could like that!"

Perhaps it was because this one seemed a little higher than most 'bents I've seen. Perhaps it was simply the lack of caffeine, I can't be sure.

The rear wheel was larger than the front. Is that typical?

I don't know enough about the different brands to be able to tell you what this one was. All I know is he rode almost as high as a DF, and he zipped right along. Looked like fun!

Then again, where would I put it?

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-20-08, 12:55 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Walking over to Twiggs this morning for coffee, I spot a 50+er zipping along on his recumbent. For the first time, I found myself saying, "That's a cool bike. I could like that!"

Perhaps it was because this one seemed a little higher than most 'bents I've seen. Perhaps it was simply the lack of caffeine, I can't be sure.

I don't know enough about the different brands to be able to tell you what this one was. All I know is he rode almost as high as a DF, and he zipped right along. Looked like fun!

There is always room for another bike...

Frankly I have often wondered if I too would enjoy a 'bent. While they look quite comfortable, I think one thing I would miss is getting out of the saddle to climb... my legs love that stretch.
Old 06-20-08, 12:55 PM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I don't know. If you would publish the floor plan of your home, perhaps we could be a bit more helpful.
Old 06-20-08, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

By and large, the small front wheel configuration is typical (at least in this country). Where would you put it? Once you've come over to the dark side, you'll have plenty of room where your df(s) used to live.

If there's a 'bent dealer in your vicinity, drop by and take a bike or few out for a test ride. You might find it an enlightening experience.

SP
Old 06-20-08, 02:16 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey D.G.

Read, Drool & Dream.......

https://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/recumbents.htm
Old 06-20-08, 03:20 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Let me just say that this thread is yet another example of what is wrong with the 50+ forum - DG posts an observation/question, and gets (mostly) helpful responses.

This would be a much more entertaining thread in the Road forum....especially if he asked whether he should organize a group buy on recumbents from Bikes Direct.
Old 06-20-08, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Well guys, I went 'bent 4 years ago and I'll never come back to DF's. I ride a Long Wheelbase recumbent, (probably what DG was looking at) and the comfort is so incredible, that it leaves me thinking DF is obsolete. I often tell people that it is the middle aged guys perfect bike. A ultra comfortable seat, upright position which leads to a relaxed neck and shoulders, lumbar support and little or no weight on your hands. In short, ALL the pain points are eliminated. Just the thing for some 50+ riders.

There are some negatives. LWB's are heavy. My EZ Sport is just under 32 pounds. They are less maneuverable, because of the longer wheelbase. New, they're $1500.00, and up. The weight and maneuverability weren't problems for me because I ride relatively flat MUPs, and refuse to ride where there are cars. For me, it really works.

My advice; When the pain problems with DFs finally get you to thinking it's time to give it up, look into recumbents. Before that time, your DF will do fine. bk
Old 06-20-08, 03:44 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like a great excuse to buy another bike to me.

But then I may be biased........
Old 06-20-08, 04:29 PM
Approaching Nirvana

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=BengeBoy;6916584
This would be a much more entertaining thread in the Road forum....especially if he asked whether he should organize a group buy on recumbents from Bikes Direct.[/QUOTE]

DG, you do also need to consider the type of riding you do and whether a bent would fit into that.
Old 06-20-08, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
If you're ever in the San Fernando Valley, stop by Bent up Cycles in Van Nuys. The owner of the store (Dana) has taken over the manufacture of Carbent bikes and has tall ones, low ones, whatever you like.
Old 06-20-08, 05:06 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
DG,

The answer is yes. You have been infected with the meme. It will eat at you till you satisfy it.

Maybe I'm to blame for the infection. I visited you at the same time I was buying buying my bent. I did the deal all over email with my LBS in Arkansas while I was in San Diego.

With a new garage, you wonder where you have room for another bike?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-20-08, 06:00 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over the past 8 days, I've gotten in 4 rides, 2 on my flat-bar road bike and 2 on my recumbent. My recumbent is a extra-cushy 40 pound bike with a spring suspension. I'm faster on the flat-bar, the handling is better on the flat-bar, I can cover more mile on the flat-bar, but rides on the recumbent are more relaxing. I see more of the countryside and the seat is more comfortable.

I will probably continue to switch back and forth, depending upon what type of ride I want to take on any particular day.

Now there are recumbents that are as fast or faster than upright bikes, so my experience does not speak for all.

I recently rode a LWB bent with a small front wheel. Very enjoyable ride. The Bacchetta Bellandare:

Old 06-20-08, 06:41 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Check out the Hostel Shoppe, Stevens Point, Wisconsin. They are the most knowledgable recumbent folks that I've met without the sometimes superior, sometimes paranoid attitude. If you seriously think that a 'bent might be in your future, they'll take care of you.
Old 06-20-08, 07:45 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Check out the Hostel Shoppe, Stevens Point, Wisconsin. They are the most knowledgable recumbent folks that I've met without the sometimes superior, sometimes paranoid attitude. If you seriously think that a 'bent might be in your future, they'll take care of you.
Indeed, HS has a great site and you can request them to mail you a paper catalog.
Check out Bentrideronline.com, which includes a message board specific to 'bentdom, all varieties. Plus, links to most online recumbent retailers and makers.

Before I started riding the RANS Tailwind, I never got children yelling out "Hey, look at that!"
Old 06-20-08, 08:05 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I passed 4 teenagers walking on a rail trail the other day, as I went past on my bent, I could hear one say to another, "Now that's a rad bike!"

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-21-08, 01:04 PM
tm3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>Frankly I have often wondered if I too would enjoy a 'bent. While they look quite comfortable, I think one thing I would miss is getting out of the saddle to climb... my legs love that stretch.<

which, to me, is the main shortcoming of bents, e.g being locked into one position albeit a relatively comfortable one.

i enjoy my bent a lot, but also enjoy my DF. and my CF.

if i could only have one, tough choice -- might be the CF.
Old 06-21-08, 01:13 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
As I understand, you now have a companion.

So, it is a choice. This is how you will get enough room for your bent.

Companion or Bent.

N+2
Old 06-21-08, 03:42 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
As I understand, you now have a companion. So, it is a choice. Companion or Bent. N+2
No need to choose. Buy two, his and hers, very romantic.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-21-08, 04:17 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Over the past 8 days, I've gotten in 4 rides, 2 on my flat-bar road bike and 2 on my recumbent. My recumbent is a extra-cushy 40 pound bike with a spring suspension. I'm faster on the flat-bar, the handling is better on the flat-bar, I can cover more mile on the flat-bar, but rides on the recumbent are more relaxing. I see more of the countryside and the seat is more comfortable.

I will probably continue to switch back and forth, depending upon what type of ride I want to take on any particular day.

Now there are recumbents that are as fast or faster than upright bikes, so my experience does not speak for all.

I recently rode a LWB bent with a small front wheel. Very enjoyable ride. The Bacchetta Bellandare:

Looks like Easy Rider!
Old 06-21-08, 05:31 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's only one recumbent dealer near San Diego, in Ramona, about 34-40 miles due east. Rather surprising to me, given the population here.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 06-21-08, 05:37 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That is surprising, as we have 4 in the greater Madison area.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 06-21-08, 05:42 PM
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
There's only one recumbent dealer near San Diego, in Ramona, about 34-40 miles due east. Rather surprising to me, given the population here.

You need to road trip to here:

https://bentupcycles.com/index.cfm

Even I have considered road tripping (make that flying) to there from Illinois for a visit.

Old 06-21-08, 05:51 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm curious, how well are bents at climbing?
Old 06-21-08, 06:18 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ad6mj
I'm curious, how well are bents at climbing?
https://www.rbr.info/faq.html

https://www.hostelshoppe.com/recumbent_faq.php

https://www.lightningbikes.com/cyber.htm

Old 06-21-08, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If you're ever in the San Fernando Valley, stop by Bent up Cycles in Van Nuys. The owner of the store (Dana) has taken over the manufacture of Carbent bikes and has tall ones, low ones, whatever you like.
Bent Up Cycles is having a recumbent rally this weekend. It's been going on since last night. I was registered, but ended up not being able to make it. There are several manufacturers there displaying their wares. The shop has different types of recumbents to try out. They are located on the edge of an industrial park, so there's plenty of room for test rides.

Climbing on a recumbent is "different". You have to learn to spin your way up a hill, usually slower than on an upright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.