Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handle bar cushioning

My '83 Nishiki Cresta once had beautiful, at least to me, cushioned tubes that slid onto the bars. The tubes came in four sections, two for the top of the bar, two for the downturns. the tubes were wrapped in a soft shiny material in a blue similar to my bike's color.

Alas, after being on the bike for over 20 years, the material has come apart and the foam split in several places. As a temporary measure, I wrapped it all with cloth adhesive backed handlebar tape. It worked so well I've considered keeping it that way, but feel the need to install a taller stem. So, the tape and cushioned grips will need to come off and, most likely, will not be in condition to reuse.

I have problems with hand numbness, the reason for the cushioned grips. Even with gel gloves, my hands go numb if there's not cushioning on the bars too. So, I'm looking for either a tape that will offer good cushioning or a product similar to the tubes I've used all these years. I'm open to recommendations. BTW, I'm 240 lbs, ride drop bars and prefer them to others I've tried.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...r+Pillows.aspx.

You can take a look at these. They are not what you describe, but they are probably the modern version. This is not the only company that makes something like this.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On one of my bikes I use the gel strips under the bar tape and that gives me some cushioning. On my back up bike I taped (electrical tape) two strips of "used bar tape" on top of the bars, and on the top side of the drops, then put new tape over that. The bike with the old tape under the new has a really good feel when I ride it, and I would not invest in the gel strips again.

My Bikes
    Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just replace the original handlebar covering? "Grab-On" foam grips are still available http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=424

rae
    My Bikes
    1982 Nishiki Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two cheap things that I have used very successfully are: 1) the squishy packaging material sheets that you wrap fragile items in (it's white--not bubble wrap) 2 layers under the bar tape--it does break down eventually & must be replaced 2) lawnmower handle grip cushions--meant to cushion & dampen vibrations, these also make the grip larger which feels good to my hands, but not so large that I can't use the brakes etc easily. Got these in the seasonal aisle at the mega-grocery store & use tape to hold them on.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could double wrap. I've heard of people wrapping handlebars with inner tube and covering that with bar tape.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taped pieces of old bar tape on top of the drops before wrapping them. On my good bike I took some of the rubber shelf liner that looks like a bunch of little rubber dots stuck together, cut it into strips about the width of bar tape and wrapped my drops with it and then taped over it. It feel goods and was really cheap as I had some left over from putting it in my tool box drawers. http://housewares.hardwarestore.com/...rder,prod.prod

My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LWaB View Post
    Why not just replace the original handlebar covering? "Grab-On" foam grips are still available http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=424
    Those are not the same as mine were. Mine had a soft fabric cover that looked good, felt great, and wore well.

I've looked on-line at the other options. So far, the Aztec product looks best with a close second going to the shelving material wrapped with tape. The latter may win, its low cost. Thanks all, other suggestions are welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my solution to hand numbness. Ditch the gel gloves. Since I switched to the Specialized Pro glove with almost no padding - no pain. Also found the gel stuff under the tape I was using was just adding to the problem.

My Bikes
    Early Cannondale tandem, '99 S&S Frezoni Audax, '65 Moulton Stowaway, '52 Claud Butler, TSR30, Brompton
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grayloon View Post
    Those are not the same as mine were. Mine had a soft fabric cover that looked good, felt great, and wore well.
    Spenco grips perhaps?