Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Children and Skinned Knees

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-25-08, 09:05 PM

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

Last Thursday afternoon I went to the Texas Rangers game with my wife and two of my boys. It was a great game (interleague vs. Atlanta), and after blowing a save with some Little League fielding on the mound, the Rangers pulled it out with a walk-off double.

Our tickets came with a valet parking pass. We were walking out to the parking area and as we approached the valet stand I was fumbling with my wallet to get some money for a tip. Now a couple of weeks ago I broke my bifocal sunglasses on the first day of Oklahoma Freewheel so I was wearing an old set of office glasses with clip-ons, which have a good deal of reflection in them. I had my head down, digging in my wallet for the tip money. I never noticed the curb as I stepped off and immediately went tumbling into the street in front of a couple of hundred people. Fortunately, I only skinned my knee a bit. But I immediately heard both my boys yell "Papa" and they quickly grabbed me, gathered the loose dollars, and were helping me up as soon as I hit the ground.

I couldn't help but think about all the times I must have shouted their names, grabbed them, and helped them up when they were little, and now they were doing it for me. One of them even checked my skinned knee. I guess life is beginning to come full circle.

I can still outrun them on a bicycle.
Old 06-26-08, 11:21 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My kids never came to me with Grazes or cuts- I have a quick cure that stops all the pain after about 2 minutes. Surgical spirit. Mind you- the pain while that is working is excrutiating but no infections come from the cuts- and the kids either never fall again- or they don't come near me when they do.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-26-08, 03:31 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Surgical spirit? .......google .........A TV show?...or...alcohol based disinfectant that, like isopropyl alcohol wipes used here before injections, shouldn't be used on broken skin. Soap and water is just as effective and isn't potentially damaging to tissues.
My mother used to traumatize my wounds with merthiolate - which was banned here in the 1990's. Had mercury in it.
Old 06-26-08, 04:28 PM
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
My mother used to traumatize my wounds with merthiolate - which was banned here in the 1990's. Had mercury in it.
Even in the '60s my mother knew of and used Neosporin. Schools and Camps used iodine, mercurochrome and merthiolate. It was literally torture, especially when I knew that the attendant pain was completely unnecessary.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 06-26-08, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho

I couldn't help but think about all the times I must have shouted their names, grabbed them, and helped them up when they were little, and now they were doing it for me. One of them even checked my skinned knee. I guess life is beginning to come full circle....
Not quite - they haven't changed your diaper yet, have they?