Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Now I know what a dry chain sounds like

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

For the past couple of weeks the bike has been sounding like a pepper mill when applying any kind of torque, especially when climbing, and more so at the granny end of the back cog. For yesterdays ride it was sounding bad all the time. I was going to bring it to the LBS this morning, but decided to do a quick clean and lube before this mornings ride. Problem solved. Now I just need to bring it in and complain about the cover of the expensive seat they sold me starting to come off the seats frame.

How often do you lube a chain. I've put about 500 miles on it since I had it tuned up. It did spend one day on the car rack being driven through a heavy rain for a couple of hours.
Old 06-25-08, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,171 Times in 1,462 Posts
A lot depends upon the type/brand of lube. I used to use White Lightning and got a couple hundred miles from it. I switched to Finish Line and got between 200 - 300. I recently tried Pro Gold Link and started getting chain noise after 120 miles.
Old 06-25-08, 07:56 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I clean my chain with WD-40 every 500 miles and re-lube with a couple drops per link of Pro-link Gold. After each ride I wipe the chain down with a shop towel soaked with lube. I do not have any problems with chain noise or shifting in the conditions I ride and the chain stays nice and pretty.

I suspect your riding environment could change the dynamic which would mean my method might not work for you.

I stay off gravel and dirt roads... ride the pavement only.

If you are riding a new bike, you may need to have an adjustment made due to cable stretch after 500 miles.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-25-08, 08:32 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
How often do you lube a chain. I've put about 500 miles on it since I had it tuned up. It did spend one day on the car rack being driven through a heavy rain for a couple of hours.

As often as it needs it. Your chain was telling you for weeks that it needed it. any time your chain gets a significant amount of rain on it, you can pretty much count on it needing to be relubed.
Old 06-26-08, 10:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Brought to the bike shop today for the seat problem. He checked the chain again, and found it was now almost 75% worn so I had it replaced. It was only 50% worn when I had it tuned up 6 weeks ago, the last 3 weeks riding with the chain needing lubrication only I didn't realize it!
Old 06-26-08, 11:16 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
Brought to the bike shop today for the seat problem. He checked the chain again, and found it was now almost 75% worn so I had it replaced. It was only 50% worn when I had it tuned up 6 weeks ago, the last 3 weeks riding with the chain needing lubrication only I didn't realize it!
The chain will be showing .25% worn from new- just by running it- I will not change a chain untill it is 1% worn but the time from .75 to 1% takes forever- Unless you run an unlubricated chain.

After every ride- Wipe the chain and re-lube. I use pedros Dry lube as it does not attract as much grit as the wet lubes- but one puddle or damp ride and all the dry lube will be gone. TheSynthetic oil they do is much better at staying on the chain in the wet- but does attract grit. Same method of wiping the chain and re-lubing applies. BUT- When the cassette starts showing black chain oil on it- aboout every 100 miles- I clean the chain with the cleaning devise and then soak the chain with oil. Then wipe off the excess before the next ride.

Spike Milligan
Old 06-26-08, 11:39 AM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Lube about every 100-150 miles, depending. Wipe it down thoroughly after lubing to remove excess lube.

I carry a small bottle of lube (2 oz) with me, and lube it on-the-go whenever I get ANY chain noise. I even lube the chains on newbies riding near me when I hear "that" noise.

Lube is cheap. Chain rings and cassettes are expensive.