Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Campy 11 speed - Good Grief! Where will it end? (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/433718-campy-11-speed-good-grief-where-will-end.html)

cyclinfool 07-30-08 06:00 PM

Who needs gears when you have a fluid drive system

DnvrFox 07-30-08 06:11 PM

Eventually we will get to an electronically controlled infinite range belt driven transmission.

(Err . . . didn't the Model T have something similar)?

rocoach 07-30-08 09:00 PM

How many blades do you really NEED in your razor? I was very happy with two.

BSLeVan 07-31-08 07:48 AM

You can buy an automobile with 500 hp. Who needs 500 hp? Not many. Who wants 500 hp is another question all together. I didn't think there was any real advantage to a 10 speed over a 9 speed, until I started riding one. Yet, my Mt Bike runs an 8 speed just fine, thank you. Hell, all I really need is a single speed, but I want more. I have a 6 speed on the trainer and took it out for a road ride a few weeks ago. It felt so inferior to what's availalbe now. If it was the only bike I had or could afford, I'd be happy just to have it. For now, however, I'm happy with the 8, 9 & 10 speed set ups I have and feel fortunate to have 'em.

Dchiefransom 07-31-08 09:39 AM

We need the extra gearing so when our computers with cadence, HRMs, and GPS are all in synque, we can maintain our effort with only .000000000000000000000000000000001% change in heart rate by shifting.

stapfam 07-31-08 11:21 AM

Coming from an MTB background- I have always been happy with a gear cluster that has plenty of Big Gears. In 8 speed I can get a 34 but the rest of the plenty aren't there So 11/28 is the one I use for the hills. Just grind away in 22/28 for a long time.

So then came the 9 speed and an 11/32 or 12/34. Just gave me sensible ratios on those big cogs.

But then I went road and 12/27. Believe it or not- I like plenty of gears but the large spacing on the 3 largest cogs have started to be a nuisance. 12/25 is nice- but I could still do with a 27 for the steep bits.

So providing those 11t cassettes are going to be availble in 12/27 and not only in 11/22- I reckon it might be worth a try.

What am I talking about!!!!!!-- It doesn't matter how many gears I have on the bike(s) I only ever seem to want one of them. Just a pity it is always one lower than I am using.

gcottay 07-31-08 12:01 PM

And those wonderful people at Campagnolo can lead us far beyond eleven cogs and a thin chain. "Every drivetrain component has been redesigned to make 11-speed work: Ergopower Ultra-Shift mechanism, front and rear derailleurs, chain, cassette, chainrings and crankset."

Ahab 07-31-08 12:54 PM

You think 11 speed is bad? This reminds me of a posting by the late Captain Bike (see http://www.sheldonbrown.com/carapace.html#thin ):

This is madness! Nobody needs a 37-speed cassette, 36 is perfectly adequate,
and I can't imagine why anybody would need a sprocket smaller than 7 teeth.

These 37 speed cassettes will create too much dishing in the wheel, and
everybody's spokes will break. Also, the 37-speed chain is too narrow, and
will surely break when used by a strong rider.

I'm going to stick to the good old tried and proven 36 speed rig, because I
value reliability and simplicity over having the latest gimmick. I'll be
looking forward to cheap prices on the "obsolete" 36-speed parts as the trendy
discard them in their mad rush to 37-speed.

Carapace Completed Umber
Intercourse, Pennsylvania

HiYoSilver 07-31-08 01:41 PM

The basic problem that has not been solved yet is there currently is no solution available for the rider who wants:

1. gear inch range from 20gi to 120gi
2. step changes of 5-7% between shifts
3. a minimum of cross shifting

Any step towards that nirvana would be good. Somewhere I saw where Shimano has a 14 casssette patent.

BluesDawg 07-31-08 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver (Post 7177033)
The basic problem that has not been solved yet is there currently is no solution available for the rider who wants:

1. gear inch range from 20gi to 120gi
2. step changes of 5-7% between shifts
3. a minimum of cross shifting

Any step towards that nirvana would be good. Somewhere I saw where Shimano has a 14 casssette patent.

All you need is 2 bikes. :innocent: