Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Campy 11 speed - Good Grief! Where will it end? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/433718-campy-11-speed-good-grief-where-will-end.html)

BluesDawg 06-25-08 10:38 AM

Campy 11 speed - Good Grief! Where will it end?

http://velonews.com/article/77895/te...r-record-group

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

maddmaxx 06-25-08 10:44 AM

As far as I'm concerned, 8 speed was great and 9 became a necessary evil with the shortage of good 8 speed equipment. This coming from a non retro bike builder. I prefer to build with new modern equipment but.........................

Allegheny Jet 06-25-08 10:53 AM

In the movie Spinal Tap, the Amp could be turned up to 11 when all other amps only had 10 volume levels. You just never know when you need one more.

Paydirt 06-25-08 11:13 AM

I hope never.

This means that Campy is still being innovative and creative, which in turn makes the 10 speed soon to be passe' (= cheaper like 9 speeds are now). Keeps the competition on their toes.

Can't wait for 12 speeds......

Hermes 06-25-08 11:20 AM

“Why not?” says Francesco Zenere, Campagnolo’s press manager. “There is constant demand from customers for cassettes, which have an extra sprocket within the usual range or those that would increase the metrical range. Cyclists are never truly happy whether they are professionals or amateurs. Campagnolo therefore decided to use the redesign of the Super Record, Record and Chorus groups as an opportunity to offer them something extra. The 11th speed is in fact the icing, while the cake is the remarkable makeover of the three groupsets dedicated to competition use.”

There is your answer...we need the something extra.:D

BluesDawg 06-25-08 11:40 AM

What we want...and what we need
has been confused...been confused

R.E.M. "Finest Worksong"

Suzie Green 06-25-08 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 6944170)
In the movie Spinal Tap, the Amp could be turned up to 11 when all other amps only had 10 volume levels. You just never know when you need one more.

I cut my pizza into 6 slices because I can't eat 8.

Monoborracho 06-25-08 12:47 PM

Prepare to bend over and spread your dropouts.

Little Darwin 06-25-08 12:51 PM

And narrower chains and cogs to wear out sooner had NOTHING to do with the decision. :D

Beverly 06-25-08 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzie Green (Post 6944589)
I cut my pizza into 6 slices because I can't eat 8.

That cuts down on calories, too:rolleyes:

Louis 06-25-08 03:24 PM

"Kids...be first on your block to have an eleven speed rear cluster. Be the envy of your neighborhood".

It will never end as long as Marketing is in control and people keep throwing money at them.

maddmaxx 06-25-08 03:30 PM

Once they discover that 8speed cassettes can be built much lighter using todays technology than 10 or 11 speed sets, the marketing folks will have no trouble steering us to the "new, lighter, better 8speed group"

As an aside, One of the hardcore MTB magazines had a build it article a couple of years ago about the ultimate dream "real world" high performance all mountain bike. The drive train was scoured from far and wide and was............................................XTR 8speed. Great performance, light and bulletproof.

Jay Andriot 06-25-08 04:28 PM

They are doing 11 speeds because they can, why not? For me, they had me at ultra6, I had one more than anyone else around. I have the QS Campy Record on my bike and will take a look at the new stuff when it comes out. I could change.

dogbreathpnw 06-25-08 04:38 PM

It will stop when chains are made of gossamer and anyone with legs stronger than a nine year old kid's will snap teeth and chain when climbing a hill. :-(

I'm tired of this. My friends say that the 10 speed components are simply no good for tandems; they eat chains the way most people eat M&M's, because the chain is so flimsy.

jab1362 06-25-08 05:51 PM

It will end when everyone discovers FG/SS isn't a fad.

Joe
2008 Schwinn Madison FG
2008 Gary Fisher Rig SS
2007 Redline Monocog
1999 Tour Easy

Tom Bombadil 06-25-08 06:14 PM

I have a 10-speed cassette ... and that is ridiculous. I like 8-speeds better. I have to shift too often with the 10.

Wildwood 06-25-08 06:20 PM

[QUOTE=Louis;6946112 It will never end as long as Marketing is in control and people keep throwing money at them.[/QUOTE]

Hey, let's not disparage all marketing people with the broad brush.

By the way I have read in the past that Shimano developed a 14 speed rear cluster. There was never any mention of a release date. May have just been a skunkworks - perhaps literally.

fthomas 06-25-08 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Suzie Green http://www.bikeforums.net/images/buttons/viewpost.gif I cut my pizza into 6 slices because I can't eat 8.

That cuts down on calories, too:rolleyes:

Finally, a diet I can live with! It probably won't add to my HDL either!

Wow, I feel fortunate! :thumb:

freeranger 06-25-08 07:01 PM

If they can make it light enough, and more affordable, the Nuvinci hub would be the way I'd go:
http://www.fallbrooktech.com/03_bicycle.asp

John E 06-25-08 07:32 PM

I find that a properly designed 2 chainring / 6 cog transmission can just barely get me adequate range with a reasonably tight 6-7% progression (and a gap at the very top and the very bottom). Thus, I can see a strong argument for either a triple chainring or a 7- or 8-speed cogset, but I doubt I could ever use more than that productively. Part of the fashion these days is to provide overlapping gear ranges, to minimize the number of front derailleur shifts, in stark contrast to my half-step and 1.5-step arrangements and their frequent double shifts.

As for chain longevity, what is killing today's cogs and chainrings is not only their skinny teeth but also the reduced number of teeth. With a compact chainring set, one puts more force on a smaller number of cog teeth. I concur that a 2x8 or 3x8 setup is probably a good balance between versatility and longevity.

big john 06-25-08 08:31 PM

I thought 8 was enough, but I have 9 speed triple on 1 bike and 10 speed triple on another. That 10 speed group sure is nice, although the same technology with 8 back there would be almost as nice.

BluesDawg 06-25-08 09:40 PM

I like 8 speeds because the cog spacing is wide enough to work well with friction shifters. The chains are cheap and strong too.

BTW, thanks to whichever mod fixed my misspelled title. :beer:

Long deKlein 06-26-08 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet (Post 6944170)

If Nigel Tufnel were a cyclist...
Why 11 speed? Because it's one faster, innit?

go1dens4 07-30-08 05:36 PM

will you be able to rebuild campy 10 to 11, and if sram will goto 11 the shifters are suppose to be rebuildable so the same for these??

The Weak Link 07-30-08 05:50 PM

I need one. I really need one.

Did I ever discuss that my last road bike burst out into flames spontaneously?