Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike to Work Day, Petitions and Breakfast for a 50+'r

Today was "Bike to Work Day" in the Denver area, sponsored by the Denver Regional Council of Governments (DRCOG).

There were 100 kiosks set up all over the bicycle trail system throughout the area. Each had bagels, spreads, coffee, free t-shirts, novelties, etc., and a bike adjustment station. About 25,000 bicycle riders participated.

My wife and I are very involved in gathering formal petition signatures for the upcoming November election to get a ballot initiative to end the 12,000 person Colorado wait list for individuals with developmental disabilities. We need 76,400 signatures.

So, we bicycled to the kiosk near us and collected lots and lots of bcyclists signatures - they are a real quality group of folks.

Afterwards, we went on a short ride, and biked to the bank to have the signed petitions notarized (required by state law).

Then, as it WAS "bike to work day" but I am retired, I bicycled to a meeting I attend regarding ending the wait list. It was 18 miles one way.

Since my wife had a dental appointment nearby after my meeting, I met her and we drove home, bike in the van.

Anyway, a really fun day for this 50+'r.

Last edited by DnvrFox; 06-25-08 at 09:30 PM.

My Bikes
    Raleigh SC30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode to work today as well, 27 miles.
    They had a breakfast station just 1/2 mile from my house so I checked it out, got a water bottle, food & a sticker that said; I rode my bike to work today & I wore it all day.

Then I stopped at another one in Niwot that wasn't to far from my work, got some cool little things, a blinky light, & more food.

I told someone at work this is like Halloween for bike riders, it was a blast. Since I hit the first station at 6:20 there weren't to many people there, but my son drove by later & said there must have been twenty or more people hanging around. The one at Niwot had a lot more people & it was fun just visiting the other bike riders.

I was planning on riding home but for some reason & was feeling very tired & light headed & riding into a head wind made me change my mind so I rode the 7 miles to my wife's work & hitched a ride with her. I don't think I ate or drank enough water throughout the day & that might have been my problem.
    2007 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neat!

27 mile commute?

I tried a 25 mile commute from Centenial to Westminster for a bit, but it was too much!