Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shallow drop bar suggestions?

I swear there was a thread about this not long ago, but darned if I can find it. So may I have your suggestions (again) for shallow drop handlebars, please.

NO, I don't want to raise my bars, or shorten the stem. That's all fine & I"m perfectly comfy on the hoods. Just that in the drops with my current bars breathing is affected.

BTW, haven't been here much lately due to new job & long commute. Hope you've all been behaving yourselves.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Salsa Short-n-Shallow bars.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Semper Fidelis
    My Bikes
    Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    easton
    "Advantages Must Be Pressed, Disadvantages Must Be Overcome"

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nitto Noodle
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ritchey biomax

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Nitto Noodle
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't used the Nitto bars recommended, but I believe you'll find they aren't all that shallow, nor are the Salsa bars. If you look at various web sites, you'll find that several manufacturers make bars in the 125 - 135 mm range of drop. I have Deda shallow 215 (same as Newton shallows except for diameter) and I'm very happy with them. I lost about 10 mm of drop - only about a cm, but it is much more comfortable, and I prefer the classic round curve. Eastons, Bontrager, Oval and Ritchey and others make bars with similar drop. For shallower, check out FSA compact and Bontrager Fit VR which are in the 120-125 mm range.

My Bikes
    Lynskey 210R, Cannondale CAAD2 MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ritchey WCS classic. They have a round bend and a shallow drop. I put some on my bike about a month ago and really like them.

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    +1 on the short and shallow
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I haven't used the Nitto bars recommended,
    I have.
    http://www.velo-orange.com/ninobar44.html

My Bikes
    2009 Surly Cross Check Frankenbike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should define shallow drop. FSA and Ritchey make bars with 125-130 mm drop. Everybody in the world seems to make bars with 140 to 145 mm drop (Nitto Noodles are 140). The Noodles have a continuous bend, FSA and Ritchey have a lot of ergo-bend bars (actully, Nitto has some too).

What is your bike? If you are not a racer type there are things like On-One Midge bars and various moustache bars that are different but cool (easy to say since I dont' have any of these).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    Ritchey WCS classic. They have a round bend and a shallow drop. I put some on my bike about a month ago and really like them.
    I've been riding a Ritchey shallow drop bar for about 6 years and do like it as well.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May or may not solve your problem. If it's really shallow, you might not have enough of a hook to comfortably put your hand on.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a shallow drop version of the FSA Wing Pro and they are working quite nicely for me.

My Bikes
    S-Works Tarmac
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several good recommendations here and, you can add the Deda Supernatural bar also - especially if your're running Shimano. Very flat with a sharp turn to the hoods, and a shallow drop. It is a mild ergo style.

Not so new
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nitto mod 135 Randonneur bars - 120 mm drop (see benscycle.net )

My Bikes
    Giant OCR 3, Bontrager, Trek 1500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My preferred position is on the drops. I have found that the "anatomic" bars force my hands into only one postion which I find tiresome and defeats the purpose of the drops, i.e. to give multiple hand positions. At present I am using a FSA Omega compact which has a fairly smooth and comfortable drop position that you can move about on without stress. However, the Deda Newton and Cenilli via Plam are both better in this respect. The drawback is they have a very relaxed bend where the brake hoods are positioned. This position the brake handles a bit too far forward and the reach more than one with my hand size, medium, finds comfortable.

I will be riding the FSA's for awhile until I figure out how to address brake reach on the Deda's (which by the way, just feel great, almost alive in your hands, can understand why pros like them so much). In the interim will look into the Nittos someone mentioned as having a strong upper bend that would make positioning Shimano's a snap -- address the brake reach issue.

Good luck with your choice.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trentschler View Post
    Nitto mod 135 Randonneur bars - 120 mm drop (see benscycle.net )
    I like these, too. Be aware that the drops flare out a few degrees so the brake levers will not be exactly vertical. I never found it to be a problem, but it is noticeable visually if not tactilely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ritchey Biomax FTW.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized has a very nice short and shallow bar in carbon but like most things Specialized, $$$$.

My Bikes
    '04 Giant OCR2, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour, '92 Trek 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looked at the FSA Wing Pro compact online, and then went to an LBS where I got a very similar Specialized Roubaix Ergo with 70mm reach & 132mm drop. (They also had the FSA, but only in 44cm wide - I prefer 42cm.)

I'm planning on doing a metric and a century in July on successive weekends so that should be a good test.
    '04 Giant OCR2|'87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion (6,129)|'92 Trek 820 MTB|'85 Schwinn Super LeTour
    "People who spend most of their natural lives riding iron bicycles over the rocky roadsteads of this parish get their personalities mixed up with the personalities of their bicycle as a result of the interchanging of the atoms of each of them and you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who are nearly half people and half bicycles." - Flann O'Brien, The Third Policeman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Bontrager Fit VR. They market it as a women's bar, but it comes in widths up to 44cm. 70mm reach and 120mm drop.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
    I haven't used the Nitto bars recommended, but I believe you'll find they aren't all that shallow, nor are the Salsa bars. If you look at various web sites, you'll find that several manufacturers make bars in the 125 - 135 mm range of drop. I have Deda shallow 215 (same as Newton shallows except for diameter) and I'm very happy with them. I lost about 10 mm of drop - only about a cm, but it is much more comfortable, and I prefer the classic round curve. Eastons, Bontrager, Oval and Ritchey and others make bars with similar drop. For shallower, check out FSA compact and Bontrager Fit VR which are in the 120-125 mm range.
    The Ritchey Biomax II has a drop around 127 or 130 mm, real shallow. The Noodle is more like 140. I like my Bio except that the anatomic grip section is highly bowed up, and the hand position that dictates is pretty far from the brake lever. My reach will be better when I change back to a Noodle. I use Ergopower BTW.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek 7100 - modified. 2008 Orbea Onix Dama - Campy Centaur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post

+1
    I love mine. BTW, I think the Salsa Poco bars are even 'more shallow'.

Cantree Member
    My Bikes
    2001 Trek OCLV, 1986 Trek 560 Reynolds 531c
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Ritchey biomax
    Ditto. Noticeably more comfortable to ride in the drops for longer stretches compared to my previous "standard" drop bar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast