Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You old farts may be on to something after all.

You all knew this already, but just in case your spouse gives you crap about all those
    long bike rides, print this article out to show to her/him:

From today's NY Times:

>>Fit, Not Frail: Exercise as a Tonic for Aging

By JANE E. BRODY
    Published: June 24, 2008
    Fact: Every hour of every day, 330 Americans turn 60.

Fact: By 2030, one in five Americans will be older than 65.

Fact: The number of people over 100 doubles every decade.

Fact: As they age, people lose muscle mass and strength, flexibility and bone.

Fact: The resulting frailty leads to a loss of mobility and independence.

The last two facts may sound discouraging. But they can be countered by another. Regular participation in aerobics, strength training and balance and flexibility exercises can delay and may even prevent a life-limiting loss of physical abilities into one’s 90s and beyond.

This last fact has given rise to a new group of professionals who specialize in what they call “active aging” and an updated series of physical activity recommendations for older adults from the American Heart Association and the American College of Sports Medicine. These recommendations are expected to match new federal activity guidelines due in October from the United States Health and Human Services Department.

But you need not — indeed should not — wait for the government. Even if you have a chronic health problem or physical limitation, there are safe ways to improve fitness and well-being. Any delay can increase the risk of injury and make it harder to recoup your losses.

Miriam E. Nelson, director of the John Hancock Center for Physical Activity and Nutrition at Tufts University in Boston and lead author of the new recommendations, observed last fall in The Journal on Active Aging that “with every increasing decade of age, people become less and less active.”

“But,” Dr. Nelson said, “the evidence shows that with every increasing decade, exercise becomes more important in terms of quality of life, independence and having a full life. So as of now, Americans are not on the right path.”

Jim Concotelli of the Horizon Bay Senior Communities in Tampa, who oversees fitness and wellness program development for communities for the elderly in several states, noted this year in The Journal on Active Aging that many older Americans were unfamiliar with exercise activities and feared that they would cause injury and pain, especially if they have arthritis or other chronic problems. Yet by strengthening muscles, he said, they can improve joints and bones and function with less pain and less risk of injury.

The key is start slowly and build gradually as ability and strength improve. Most important is simply to start — now— perhaps under the guidance of a fitness professional or by creating a program based on the guidelines outlined here.

Although medical clearance may not be necessary for everyone for the moderate level of activity suggested, those with a known or possible problem would be wise to consult a doctor. And a few sessions with a trainer can help assure that the exercises are being done correctly and not likely to cause injury.

Until recently, physical activity recommendations for all ages have emphasized aerobics, or cardiovascular conditioning, through moderate to vigorous activities like brisk walking, cycling, lap swimming or jogging for half an hour a day five or more days a week. For those unable to do 30 minutes at a time, the activities can be broken up into three 10-minute intervals a day. If you have long been sedentary, start with even shorter intervals.

For people who prefer indoor workouts, a treadmill, cross-trainer, step machine or exercise bike can provide excellent aerobic training for the heart, lungs and circulation. Those unable to do weight-bearing exercise might try swimming or water aerobics. Keep in mind that 30 minutes a day of aerobic activity five days a week is the minimum recommendation. More is better and can reduce the risk of chronic disease related to inactivity.

Contrary to what many active adults seem to believe, physical fitness does not end with aerobics. Strength training has long been advocated by the National Institute on Aging, and the heart association has finally recognized the added value of muscle strength to reduce stress on joints, bones and soft tissues; enhance stability and reduce the risk of falls; and increase the ability to meet the demands of daily life, like rising from a chair, climbing stairs and opening jars.

Strength training can be done in a gym on a series of machines, each working a different set of major muscle groups: hips, legs, chest, back, shoulders, arms and abdomen. Or it can be done at home with resistance bands or tubes, hand-held barbells or dumbbells or even body weight. One program, the Key 3 program diagrammed here, was devised by Michael J. Hewitt, research director for exercise science at the Canyon Ranch Health Resort in Tucson. It can be completed in 10 minutes with practice.

As Dr. Hewitt explained in the International Longevity Center-USA newsletter, skeletal muscles can only contract and thus are always arranged in pairs. “One muscle of the pair pulls to bend the joint (flexion), and its antagonist pulls to straighten the joint (extension).” Thus, a strengthening program must be balanced, he said, “pairing every pulling lift with an opposite pushing action.”

Dr. Hewitt emphasized that to reduce the risk of injury and premature muscle fatigue, the large muscles should be exercised first, followed by the smaller muscles, with the postural muscles exercised last. For example, one would start with chest and upper back muscles, then the arms and shoulders and finally the lower back and abdomen.

Muscles have to be overworked to grow stronger. The goal for each exercise is three sets of 8 to 12 repetitions to muscle fatigue. Muscles also need time to recover. So strength training should be done two or three times a week on nonconsecutive days.

The new recommendations add flexibility and balance to the mix. Improving balance and reducing the risk of falls is critical as you age — if you fall, break your hip and die of pneumonia, aerobic capacity will not save you. Ten minutes a day stretching legs, arms, shoulders, hips and trunk can help assure continued mobility, and daily exercises like standing on one foot and then the other, walking heel to toe or practicing tai chi can improve balance.

The recommendations, issued last August, are geared to healthy adults 18 to 64, with a companion set for those 65 and older or those 50 to 64 who have chronic health problems or physical limitations. Details can be found at www.acsm.org. Under “Influence,” click on Physical Activity Guidelines From ACSM and AHA.

The experts who made these recommendations urge all adults to adopt them now. As C. Jessie Jones, co-director of the Center for Successful Aging at California State University, Fullerton, said, “People can’t wait until they’re in residential or long-term care to get started. They should all be like that animal Pcad.”<<

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally! We now have permission to do what we've been doing all along ---->said with tongue firmly planted in cheek<----

Thanks for posting this, PCad. I'm not a subscriber and would have missed this gem otherwise.

Now that our secret's out, will our numbers here on 50+ increase?
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    2013 Scott Foil, 2009 Scott Addict R2, 2008 Cervelo P3 TT bike, 2008 Motobecane Fly Ti Hard Tail MTB
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post

F that action. If any newcomers post here, yell at them.

My Bikes
    1985 Trek 770, 2006 Cannondale Synapse, 1976 Viscount Aerospace Pro
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
    I thought you would only yell at us for sloppy riding in a pace line.
    Laterally stiff yet vertically compliant.

Viscount Aerospace Pro Trek 770 Cannondale Synapse

My Bikes
    1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muscles have to be overworked to grow stronger.
    Screwed again.
    "Light it up, Popo." --Levi Leipheimer

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides what was written here, I thought the book,"Spark" was pretty much had the same information. I know it's helped me a bunch. Thanks for sharing, that was a great article in RBA about you, congratulations on a job well done.
    George

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the article needed to say to us folks over 50 it to HTFU. We already know it, but just need to see it in print in the NY Times.

My Bikes
    2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like they have increased by at least one already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dare you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SKT thinks PCad meant to say "We old farts..."

Remember PCad, if wishes were wings, a frog would bump his ass so much...
    Rail as you must but you're old, dude, you're old.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good article, but how does one convince a significant other to partake, when that SO knows she should, but doesn't?

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    I dare you!
    Dare me to do what?

Banned.
    My Bikes
    Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no point in trying to convince a SO of anything. They have to want it on their own. Mine will walk, or swim but isn't interested in bikes. I offered to buy her one and the look I got was enough to freeze my blood. She might respond to another female who rides but I am not holding my breath. She would ride with me years ago but there is no interest today.

My Bikes
    Catrike Expedition
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    Good article, but how does one convince a significant other to partake, when that SO knows she should, but doesn't?
    That's one I'm trying to figure out too.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    -- Albert Einstein

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Foster View Post
    There is no point in trying to convince a SO of anything. They have to want it on their own. Mine will walk, or swim but isn't interested in bikes. I offered to buy her one and the look I got was enough to freeze my blood. She might respond to another female who rides but I am not holding my breath. She would ride with me years ago but there is no interest today.
    I don't mean on a bike, I mean anything!

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They 'preach' what we have been doing for decades!

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You all knew this already, but just in case your spouse gives you crap about all those
    long bike rides, print this article out to show to her/him:

From today's NY Times:

>>Fit, Not Frail: Exercise as a Tonic for Aging

...The experts who made these recommendations urge all adults to adopt them now. As C. Jessie Jones, co-director of the Center for Successful Aging at California State University, Fullerton, said, “People can’t wait until they’re in residential or long-term care to get started. They should all be like that animal Pcad.”<<
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good post Mr. P. Do we need to do a 50+ jersey reorder so you can get one?
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com —— Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post

Remember PCad, if wishes were wings, a frog wouldn't bump his ass so much...
    Fixed that for you.

PCad lives in Egypt. He's deep in denial.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed that for you.
    Oops... makes a bit of a difference, doesn't it?

Thanks!

BTW, can anyone peg that line?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember PCad, if wishes were wings, a frog would bump his ass so much...
    And if my aunt had b-;ls she'd be my uncle.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's OK. I'm faster than you.

My Bikes
    Eddy Merckx SXM, LeMond Buenos Aires, Cannondale Road Warrior 1000 plus a couple of comforts (Specialized Crossroads and Giant Cyprus) and a beater mtb for around town.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Muscles have to be overworked to grow stronger.
    Yeah, that's why you shouldn't do sit ups or crunches; cause your stomach muscles will get all big and you will have fat belly sticking out.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
    --Ben Franklin

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old news, but good to remember. One of the worst things that happens is a hip injury I was once told. Not because of the broken bone, but because those who it happens to have very little muscle to begin with - falling and breaking your hip means almost nothing to a youngster, but if you already lack muscle, you quickly can become unable to walk ever, without a lot of physical therapy.

Basically put to always remember, if you aren't moving, you won't be around long...

Since I have more muscle than I ever had as a 20 year old, I figure they are going to have to take me out back and shoot me to get rid of me...

One thing that has really changed in our life here is how much we walk. When we first arrived here about 4 years ago, my wife, who is 5'4" and about 120 lbs, could barely walk a half a block without pain in her knees, etc. She could walk down slopes especially. We just got back from a mini-vacation where she was hiking in the mountains for hours with me. Now she I think has more endurance than I do - I know it is true anytime we go shopping...

Third World Layabout crtreedude's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Cannondale F900 and Tandem
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way PCad, we might be old farts, but you are just a fart... I guess you have had the condition much longer than the rest of us...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast