Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sting Ray: $100,000? Nope...

Tom Mault, who owns a roofing company, says he'd rather donate the Sting-Ray -- one of the hottest American icons of the 1960s and '70s -- to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington. (DailyPress.com )

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-lo...,6873169.story

I had a hardware store knock off and lived on it for years!
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I was going to read how this guy had had the bike stored away for years and then found out it was worth a fortune. But that was the first owner's story. Kept it for 45 years and then sold it for $350. And the bike shop owner looked at it, ran the serial number, and didn't recognize its value. That's the huge surprise of the story. The guy had it in his hands, thought it might be a collectible, and then let it get away.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder where my first "Stingray" is now? Probably with my complete sets of mid-1960's baseball cards. A word of advice to Stingray owners. Don't tie a 12' cargo parachute to the loop at the end of the Banana Seat. On my first attempt at using the parachute to stop the bike, like a dragster, things did not go as planned. I put the parachute in a Boy Scout backpack and tied it the seat. At the top of the steepest hill in our Western PA neighborhood, my brother gave me a push start, I rode as fast as I could down the hill, threw out the parachute out at the bottom of the hill and watched the bike disapear between my legs...

My Bikes
    Specialized Allez Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    I wonder where my first "Stingray" is now? Probably with my complete sets of mid-1960's baseball cards. A word of advice to Stingray owners. Don't tie a 12' cargo parachute to the loop at the end of the Banana Seat. On my first attempt at using the parachute to stop the bike, like a dragster, things did not go as planned. I put the parachute in a Boy Scout backpack and tied it the seat. At the top of the steepest hill in our Western PA neighborhood, my brother gave me a push start, I rode as fast as I could down the hill, threw out the parachute out at the bottom of the hill and watched the bike disapear between my legs...

I love it!! I have a very clear picture in my mind of this wonderful event! Reminds me of the time my brother and I took an old recliner, attached a couple of axles/wheels to it, headed to the steepest hill we could find. Since I was the youngest, I got the ride. And the stop. But I stayed with the recliner, all the way to the bottom! (Then made my exit...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seat doesn't look like the stock ones I remember on the original Sting Rays. It looks like the banana seat I got to convert my 20 bike to make it similar to a Sting Ray.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and watched the bike disapear between my legs...
    What? No clipless pedals? Great story AJ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Shuddering at the thought of the handlebars passing through the groin area.....)

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God the handlebars never touched me. I still remember the feeling of flying and knowing the pavement is near.