Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cyclists on the BBC

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Cyclists on the BBC

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-08, 01:13 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Cyclists on the BBC

Don't know if you can read the attachment as it is on the BBC site over here- but the gist is that as Cyclists flout the road traffic regs- (The highway Code)- perhaps the highway code should be changed to allow cyclists to break it.

The CTC is the cycling body over here and they are suggesting certain changes to allow cyclist to turn left (Your Right) on red lights and to cross pedestrian crossings on red.

You can guess the opposite view in that cyclists are a menace on the road and should be prosecuted more for their current breaking of the Code.

Saw the TV reporting this morning and there seemed to be an even split on cyclists on the road with the cyclists claiming that they have to break the law to stay safe. Proposed changes are to allow cyclists to ride the wrong way on one way streets- Not have to obey red lights and in fact be given a priority on Green lights with the cycle lanes going green before the cars. The motorists view was that cyclists break the law and put themselves into danger.

I can see that raising the awareness of cyclist's on the road is going to be a good thing- but there is no way I want to alienate car drivers that allows me to break rules that motorists have to obey.

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7478823.stm

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 06-28-08 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-28-08, 01:42 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems that if we want to be taken seriously as an alternative form of transportation we need to follow the traffic rules. That way the cars can know what to expect when they see us. The only exception I might make is that we shouldn’t have to come to a complete stop at stop signs. Light yes but stop signs only require a rolling stop or slow down.
Old 06-29-08, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
It seems that if we want to be taken seriously as an alternative form of transportation we need to follow the traffic rules. That way the cars can know what to expect when they see us. The only exception I might make is that we shouldn’t have to come to a complete stop at stop signs. Light yes but stop signs only require a rolling stop or slow down.
I agree on obaying the same traffic rules as cars. That was a long hard fought battle to make that happen in the US. I remember back in the '50's getting a ticket because I didn't put both feet down at a stop sign from my Motorcycle. I was totally stopped, I just didn't put the feet down.

Some Florida group has published a cycling guide for police. In it it suggests making allowances for bicyclists rolling through stop signs. I can't remember the organization as I can't find my copy.

On turning right on red, of course in the US we can unless it's posted otherwise.

In some countries they provide extensive bike paths to keep cyclists off the roads and out of motorists hair. Not good places to ride.

Al