User Tag List

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any 50+'ers make a trip like this one?

Early tomorrow morning, four of us in north Texas are leaving early and making the nine hour drive to Hays, Kansas to visit the RANS bicycle and aircraft factory Monday morning. My friend will be bringing back a prototype bike to try in some brevets; the rest of us will just be test riding some bikes and getting a tour of the factory from the owner. We'll all be headed home by Monday afternoon.

This seems like a very different trip than any I've ever made. The four of us never even make any kind of guy trips (we're the same four who raced as a team in The Texas Time Trials last fall, but our wives came along then). Any 50+'ers ever do anything like this?
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    28"trek is my favorite boney gravel bike /climbers are a canondale and access
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I HAVENT EVER ,I wouldnt like the drive but what a trip [keep us posted /Ken

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a previous life-or so it seems- I used to race karts in endurance races. 6-12 and 24 hour races. My trade was as a 2stroke mechanic- and I had a lot off success racing Internationally. Then at one meeting-I got a command (That was what it was like) to attend a meeting at the Italian Factory that made the Engines I raced. And take my race engine from today untouched and my other engines aswell. Arranged the trip about 3 days later and 1,000 mile drive and I turned up at the factory. My engines were stripped- measured-rebuilt and Dyno tested and I was asked to strip and rebuild an Engine. 3 hours later and I was given factory support for my racing. No more engines to buy- no more parts to buy for them and on top of that-I had to race incognito. So no big sponsors logo's over everything. No Money involved- but 3 engines a year- and All the spares I could break was well worth it.

Ridiculous thing was- There I was at the Biggest manufacturer in the world of Kart Engines and all I saw was one small workroom and about 3 mechanics.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We used to leave all the wives behind and disappear to the Western Pacific, and Indian Ocean for 6 or so months.

Will he be trying out an X-Stream?
    Silver Eagle Pilot

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    We used to leave all the wives behind and disappear to the Western Pacific, and Indian Ocean for 6 or so months.
    Did the wives ever complain?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few people here have posted reports of their trips to Trek and Rivendell.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Tom mentioned earlier, last year hubby and I went to the Rivendell mothership and even met the man himself! Test rode a couple bikes and got sized. Next fieldtrip will be to see Bruce Gordon's shop in Petaluma.

Sounds like fun! We expect a report. With pictures.
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    As Tom mentioned earlier, last year hubby and I went to the Rivendell mothership and even met the man himself! Test rode a couple bikes and got sized. Next fieldtrip will be to see Bruce Gordon's shop in Petaluma.

Sounds like fun! We expect a report. With pictures.
    Can I go? I have spoken to Bruce a couple of times and he is a very interesting guy with a tremendous talent.
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have visisted with many framebuilders/manufacturers, inluding Rans.

My Bikes
    Seven Ti Tandem, Blue T12 tri bike, 92 Paramount, 93 Schwinn Mesa MTB, Trek 520 tourer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I once flew to Missouri to test fly a Citabria. Does that count?
    Most economic fallacies derive from the tendency to assume that there is a fixed pie, that one party can gain only at the expense of another.....Milton Friedman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    I have done the same, but I do not think these work related trips count.

For me, the guys took a trip to a skydiving competition.

Another guy trip was up to Canada for snow skiing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    Early tomorrow morning, four of us in north Texas are leaving early and making the nine hour drive to Hays, Kansas to visit the RANS bicycle and aircraft factory Monday morning.

I've been to the Calfee factory and the Tallerico factory and the Co-Motion factory. Almost went to the DeSalvo factory but found out it was also his home, so I passed. I think it adds just a touch of something to the buying experience. Calfee and Tallerico were in my backyard, Co-Motion I hit on a biz trip.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a fun trip! We had dinner with the owner, Randy Schlitter and his wife Kim Sunday evening, rode bicycles into Hays with them for lunch Monday, and rode all kinds of bicycles after we toured the plant.

Kids in the candy store:

Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I went to the Gitane factory in the mid '70s, applied for a job and got it. But I had to turn it down because the pay was no better than slinging pizzas like I was doing, and the commute took an hour instead of 10 minutes.

Does that count?
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone would like to see all the photos from this trip, the photo album link is here. Click the next photo, rather than the slide show, to get all the captions.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa