Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What's your 4th of July plans?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What's your 4th of July plans?

Old 07-01-08, 10:14 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
No 4th july over- it has been banned........
Poor sports. Can't we all just get along?

[From your friend across the pond.... ]
Old 07-02-08, 02:24 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
That looks like a great ride! How far is it?

I'll be going up to Interlochen, MI near Traverse City, where we'll either ride the Old Mission Peninsula, around Glen Lake and the Pierce Stocking climb, or maybe Leland to Northport loop. I'd like a 50 mile loop.

Road Fan
It's 180 miles one-way. I'll ride in to OCMD on Thursday and ride out Sunday morning. In between, I'll be riding Coastal Hwy and riding south to Assateague Island National Park.
Old 07-02-08, 05:55 PM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Doing a metric century on July 5, my longest ride in 30+ years.
Old 07-02-08, 07:17 PM

Bikes: '82 Colnago Super; '07 Cannondale CAAD9

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All of the offspring will be away from home over the July 4th weekend. Running the Peachtree Road Race in the a.m. Hope to ride about 15 or so miles to flush the legs out in the afternoon. Cook burgers on the grill. Then I think my spouse is throwing me into a wagon and carting me down the hill to watch fireworks!
Old 07-02-08, 07:20 PM
Ride Daddy Ride

Bikes: 1983 Trek 720; 1983 Trek 620; 1989 Gi Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra; LeMond Victoire; Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Doing a metric century on July 5, my longest ride in 30+ years.
Good luck. Enjoy your ride!
Old 07-02-08, 08:18 PM
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm riding a 200k permanent brevet Friday, then going crappie fishing on Saturday. If I still have energy left, I'm riding a 170k populaire on Sunday.
Old 07-02-08, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8256 Post(s)
Liked 8,967 Times in 4,450 Posts
Originally Posted by Bud Bent
I'm riding a 200k permanent brevet Friday, then going crappie fishing on Saturday. If I still have energy left, I'm riding a 170k populaire on Sunday.
Why is it called a "permanent" brevet, and what is a "populaire"?
Old 07-02-08, 09:28 PM

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully this route if the weather stays half-good:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/161263

If I can get a couple of others to go along, it's about a 45 mile drive to the start, so gas sharing would be nice.

Click the "Show" option near the upper left corner, then the "Elevation Profile" for a treat.
Old 07-03-08, 01:35 PM
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exiled to South Alabama for a week with NO bike.
Old 07-03-08, 01:43 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably just a relaxing ride since we rode today and yesterday, and it's quite warm here. July 4 is my brother's birthday and my parents often hosted pool parties for neighbors, family, and friends. With my dad being gone, and my brother away, it will be very different this year. So I will ride in my dad's memory.

I would like to take some time out to spend with my mom and occupy her time so she won't have to spend this big long holiday weekend alone in an empty house.
Old 07-03-08, 01:48 PM

Bikes: 1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll take a good ride in the morning. Have a big brisket working so it'll be barbecue, potato salad, apple pie, and whatever else the other cooks create. The brisket is mine, all mine.
Old 07-03-08, 02:37 PM

Bikes: Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good rides with 1 or 2 friends on Fri morning and Sat morning. Here's wishes for everyone to have a wonderful holiday weekend!
Old 07-03-08, 06:31 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I have everything laid out for my ride and ready to go. Unfortunately my wife threw he back out and if she is not better tomorrow I will miss my window to get this 75 mile ride in. I also need to cut the grass before I go for the weekend as it rained here tonight. Things are not looking up for my plans...
Old 07-03-08, 11:58 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
We had hoped to ride with friends in the East Bay. That fell apart.

Then I thought we could ride to Napa, but that entails riding along roads on which large boats are hauled -- not a comfortable way to ride.

Next we thought we'd have the kids over for a croquet tournament and a vegan BBQ. They both have plans that don't include us.

So we're going to sleep in, get up and have leisurely coffee, etc., and ride with some late-sleeping friends. Cgallagh will cook his famous shake-the-bone-and-the meat-falls-off-ribs, and I'll concoct something with the ripe peaches from our tree, and if we combine that with friends, then it's a good time. If it's just us, it's a good time. It's hard to go wrong with his ribs, my peaches, and a bike ride.
Old 07-04-08, 01:44 AM

Bikes: Sun EZ3 sx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vtc12ip
Exiled to South Alabama for a week with NO bike.
What a bummer! Although that area must be awfully hot and humid now, which doesn't seem pleasant for riding.

Wow, do some of you have gorgeous routes planned! I'm a newbie--just realized I've had my EZ3 for exactly one week. So, I'm still working on my mileage. The trail goes to the city lakes and I'm about halfway there. The other direction has a great local lake, which I might try if I work up the nerve. I'm nervous about riding too far to get back!

So, my adventure will be very small compared to some ot the other here--but it's still MY adventure!
Old 07-04-08, 06:03 PM
Senior Moment

Bikes: Litespeed Blueridge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Generally my husband and I take the tandem and ride around San Diego Bay from Spanish Landing. We decided NOT to do that this year since Coronado is SO crowded you can hardly ride your bike. The one good thing that does come out of it though is the Coronado turns into a bicycle town on July 4th. Parking is at a premium so your actually better biking over there then trying to drive. This year we decided to park at a fairly new complex called Liberty Station and just ride up to Pt. Loma Lighthouse.
Lighthouse
For lunch we stopped at Liberty Station and had a BBQ chicken pizza and a FREE Messy Sundae (YUM).
After we walk the dogs this evening we will be walking to Kennedy Park (about 5 miles away) to watch the fireworks. At least will have gotten in a lot of exercise today.
Old 07-04-08, 07:54 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Well, I forgot the camera.....again. The Firecracker the starts out in Cary, NC had at least 1050 registered bikes. It didn't look like 1050 bikes at the start, but there certainly were an awful lot of bikes. I rode with a freind and met several members of my club while on the ride. Overall, a very nice ride.
Old 07-04-08, 08:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We decided to skip today's ride and get some things done around the house. Tonight, we enjoyed a nice dinner of leftovers and now I'm relaxing. Tomorrow we'll go for a ride in the morning, then join my mom for a live matinee show at the local center theater. My dad spent his last good day at that theater, and then he fell at home that night. It will be another milestone for us to pass through on this journey of grief.
Old 07-04-08, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
We had some loud, but not severe, thunderstorms that started at O-dark-thirty. Not wanting to get Ol' Fuj wet, I let the storms pass and the roads dry up a bit. During the wait, I watched a few episodes of "The Revolution" on the History Channel and had a little time to reflect.

The Founding Fathers, the citizen soldiers of the various state militias, and the soldiers of the Continental Army really suffered and put their lives and fortunes on the line in order that we might have this country. I am grateful to have been born a citizen of this country. I am grateful for our Constitution. I am grateful for the thought and hard work that went into the Constitution. I am grateful for the Bill of Rights. I exercised my rights under the First and Second Amendments today and thought a little more highly of them than I usually do. Would that we never get too complacent, too politically correct, too risk-averse, too lazy, or forgetful enough to fully appreciate and defend this great country. I love it, warts and all.

41 miles today. Hoping for good weather and a few more miles tomorrow.

Happy Fourth! Sempre Fi!
Old 07-04-08, 09:22 PM
My other car is a bike

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just starting to get dark here. We'll do what we do every year: Walk up 1/2 block to the top of our street and watch fireworks all across the valley with the other neighbors. On a clear night, we can see about three different municipal fireworks displays. Poor man's view, but it's nice to watch and say hi to the neighbors. Maybe we'll bring lawn chairs like some others do each year.

Earlier, we packed up our bikes, went to the coast (Point Reyes) for breakfast, then drove through Muir Woods/Sir Francis Drake Blvd to Sausalito to ride our bikes the Sausalito-Mill Valley path. Gorgeous weather, but it's amazing how that path and the one up here are so different from each other. A lot more road bikes in Marin County, and they seem more serious about their riding, and less likely to announce that they are passing. More and faster riders on a narrower path. Not the most relaxing place to ride.

Happy Fourth, everyone!
Old 07-04-08, 09:39 PM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 334 Posts
Work. Rode the 32-mile round trip, though.
Old 07-04-08, 10:10 PM

Bikes: '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skiph
Hopefully this route if the weather stays half-good:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/161263

If I can get a couple of others to go along, it's about a 45 mile drive to the start, so gas sharing would be nice.

Click the "Show" option near the upper left corner, then the "Elevation Profile" for a treat.
RAINED OUT

It got nicer by afternoon, so did ride about 18 miles R/T to a small local gathering for some food and a couple of beers.

But going to try again tomorrow if the next big blob of clouds makes it over during the night and it's better in the morning.
Old 07-05-08, 05:10 AM
Hills!

Bikes: 2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rode a club ride metric century yesterday. First ride with this club.

We averaged 17.5 mph which is good for me. I had to push myself to keep up for much of it, especially the hills. I lagged on most hills and had to catch up on the flats and downhills.

Here's the MB link for the ride if anyone's interested.
Old 07-05-08, 06:00 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

Last edited by BluesDawg; 07-05-08 at 08:02 AM.
Old 07-05-08, 06:21 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Shovel.......................

Surprise, there is standing water in the shower stall and the toilets won't flush. There is some dripage in the utility room from a minor leak past the wax seal on one of the toilets.

For those of you who have septic systems as opposed to city sewer this little drama may not be unknown. What I don't understand is how this happens so often on Sundays or Holidays. Do the pipes know?

Fixed.....................with half a day's work and almost the price of a new bicycle. My plumber is buying a new car next week. He smiles a lot.

I'm spending Saturday resting my tired back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.