Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm floating away

In an attempt to save my aging knees, I (just today) changed my cleats over to a floating version. I've not had any serious joint problems, but the occasional twinge in my right knee made me take a look at these cleats. I'm currently riding Look Keo pedals and, needing new cleats because one was cracked, I purchased the red ones which have some float built into them. It's my first experience with them. I went out today for a casual 20 miles. The jury is still out...they felt a bit weird at first, and I was not sure I liked the movable feel to them. After 10 miles or so, I seemed to be able to ignore the fact that they were different. All went pretty well. I guess it will take several rides to adjust to the feel. It does take a more agressive "snap" to unclip, and that kind of startled me as I pedaled up to my garage door.

Anyone else gone through this and how did you feel with the transition to a floating cleat? After 30 years of riding with a fixed position, I find it just a bit strange.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suzie,

I went to speed plays over 10 years ago - they have a lot of float. It was a strange feelinf my first time out as my foot could rotate and yet I was still connected. After a ride or two I no longer noticed. Release is easy and seems almost effortless now. I am not familiar with the cleats you bought but I hope you get comfortable with them.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used black Look cleats for about a month and my knees hurt from day one. Switched to red cleats and the pain disappeared. I noticed the movement a lot for a few rides. I noticed it a little for a few more rides. I have not noticed it at all for the last 15 years.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thank you guys! I'm guessing that after a half dozen rides, I'll not even notice the change. I have a couple of 50 mile days on tap for next weekend when I go to watch the local races, and after that I'm sure everything will be fine. Like anything new, it's the usual adjustment period to get over. Thanks too for the positive feelings about the knee issues too BluesDawg!

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    I'm guessing that after a half dozen rides, I'll not even notice the change.
    I'm betting it won't take that long.
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went to Bebop's for the same issues. Knees were killing me in spd. That skating feeling is a bit hard to take at first but you should find the sweet spot. Recommend some flat rides until you feel confident with the new pedals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can tell when the ride was a bit tougher

+1 on the speedplays

Though I can tell when the ride was a bit tougher than I thought when I bend over pulling up to the driveway to loosen the toe strap....