Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clipless and New = Hysterical Disastor!

A gentlemen tells me today about getting used to his new clipless pedals on his road bike yesterday. He says he is in between two cars at an intersection at a red light and couldn't get his left foot unclipped and he starts bouncing up and down trying to get his foot unclipped and just falls over still stuck to the bike. He looks up and the lady in the car behind him has her face covered and is laughing so hard she can't even look up. She finally rolls down her window and asks if he is alright.

Of course, I'm fine he tells her as he struggles to jump back up on the bike with his left foot still stuck in the pedal and falls over again. This time he pulls his foot out of his shoe and and gets back up and jumps on the bike and tries to pedal off. The left shoe comes flying off the pedal into the middle of traffic and he falls over again.

Once he is on the side of the road he has to wait until the light turns red so he can retrieve his shoe.

He said he didn't realize that he could adjust the tension on the pedals until he got home and read the instructions. The left one was set to max tension. He said that he could now clip and unclip with ease.

He was laughing about it harder than I was. He seems to have a good sense of humor!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need a good sense of humor when things like this happen
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    --

steel lover
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing what kinda info the instructions can have.
    I too rarely read instructions till after the "new stuff" feeling wears off. I use them, figure things out, then read the instructions to see what I missed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why didn't he jsut unclip his right foot?
    One of the best peices of advice regarding clipless pedals, is to start with the tension set to the lightest setting. I have yet to increase it.

My Bikes
    2012 Motobecane Ti SRAM Red/2008 Trek Madone SRAM Force
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's my worst nightmare. Very funny.
    The thoughts and opinions expressed by this poster are his own and should not be misconstrued as gospel. They are and were not meant to inflame, enrage or otherwise tick anyone off, usually. ©
    2012 Ti Motobecane with SRAM Red 2013~2008 Trek Madone with SRAM Force~2010 Specialized Hardrock 29er~2006 Trek 4300~Garmin 800 CTR
    Mark

My Bikes
    02' Fuji Team, 85' Miyata ninety SS
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just had my first experience with clipless yesterday and i wouldve toppled over twice if there werent a car to my left for me to lean on lol. I found out that standing on the pedals unclipped is nearly impossible and walking around in road shoes without your bike next to you is embarrassing. Im just glad I found out about the adjustable tensions before i hopped on the bike also because it was set to the highest tension and i bought it used so it didnt come with manuals.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, if someone you've got it in for asks for advice on how to use clipless pedals, tell them to adjust them to the tightest setting. Then, follow with a video cam.

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The story is funny but this can happen to anyone not reading and understanding instructions.
    I fell down on my first clip-less ride also. That was in front of lots of Hotshot bikers in a parking lot.
    It took me a while to get over that.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been riding clipless since '85 (remember Aero-Lites?), but have been having a new problem getting clipped in when on my fixed gear bike. Since I can't coast, that pedal keeps coming around and I have to have my technique spot on (and the pedal flipped the right way around) to clip in!

Clipping out is no problem, of course. Been thinking of switching to Crank Bros. Egg Beaters for the fixed gear bike. Anyone here tried Egg Beaters, esp. on a fixed gear bike? Good idea, or not?

Rick / OCRR

steel lover
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Alloro, Miyata 710, Fuji Espree Fixie convert
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egg beaters on fixed gear here. Not an issue at all... love them. I don't have anything to compare them to, but I've never had to look at the pedal It's a little tricky at first, cause the pedal likes to sit right in front of the cleat, but you quickly learn where the cleat is under your foot... problem solved.

I still have mine set to the "easy" setting. There is no adjustment... but you switch cleats from shoe to shoe to make the release angle greater.

My Bikes
    GT Edge Titanium, Mercian Vincitore, Masi Gran Criterium, GT Zaskar, Hercules 3-Speed, KHS Flight Team
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Chevy,

I'll get a pair of Eggbeaters and try them out. I thought it was a good idea (in theory), but good to hear that they're working well for you in the fixed gear context. Not sure how switching cleats from shoe to shoe would make the release angle greater though. Pls. advise!

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Seven Alaris custom road bike, Trek FX 7.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
    Been riding clipless since '85 (remember Aero-Lites?), but have been having a new problem getting clipped in when on my fixed gear bike. Since I can't coast, that pedal keeps coming around and I have to have my technique spot on (and the pedal flipped the right way around) to clip in!

Clipping out is no problem, of course. Been thinking of switching to Crank Bros. Egg Beaters for the fixed gear bike. Anyone here tried Egg Beaters, esp. on a fixed gear bike? Good idea, or not?

Rick / OCRR
    OMG I can't imagine using clipless with a fixed gear bike! I've never even thought about THAT scenario.

I really hate clipless pedals. I've thought about trying to modify a pair of cleats so they don't snap in so tight. I wonder if anyone's tried this. I suppose I should just get a set of platform pedals and get it over with.

Anyway, thanks for the story, it really made me laugh.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dachshund View Post
    OMG I can't imagine using clipless with a fixed gear bike! I've never even thought about THAT scenario.
    I really hate clipless pedals. I've thought about trying to modify a pair of cleats so they don't snap in so tight. I wonder if anyone's tried this. I suppose I should just get a set of platform pedals and get it over with.
    Anyway, thanks for the story, it really made me laugh.
    Honestly, it's not that bad. A bit of a bother getting clipped in, but once I'm all snapped in, its all good. Just the starting out part needs some work (by me!).

Don't be afraid! Clipless (or snap-in) pedals are the next most wonderful recent invention after STI (and similar) shifting (which I will never need on my fixed gear for obvious reasons!).

Rick / OCRR

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rick@OCRR

Helmets rate right up at the top! Go friction!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there done that I always think little kids say to the parents in the car "hey look that old man fell off his bike while he was stopped is he drunk?" For my cruising and commute I installed the mini cages on my Bianchi. Still have the SPD'S on my Raleigh
    (Life is too short to play crappy guitars) 2006 Raleigh Cadent 3.0, 1977 Schwinn Volare, 2010 Windsor tourist. ( I didn't fall , I attacked the floor)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always find it odd that clipless issues always seems to be about clipping-out. Never had a problem with that- clipping in gave me more problems in the early days, especially from a red light going up hill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have a foot-long scar on my left tricep from one of my first mtb rides w/clipless. And that was 10 years ago....

SP

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My lesson,
    I was at Newport Beach and pulled into a Carl’s Jr. with my new cleats right beside a group of good looking young ladies and yes, I forgot I had cleats and down I went.
    The ladies offered to help but no way, I was tuff and I got up, locked the bike and went in a little embarrassed, got a 6$ low carb burger and set down. In a few minutes this nice look little thing came over and set beside me.
    She said, ”you’re a tuff guy and you recovered fast from laying on you ass”. But, I’m a nurse and if you don’t let me do something to your leg you are going to bleed to death. I looked down and the floor was covered with blood, my blood.
    I still have the scares from the big ring (6 teeth) today; I just counted them so I could post them. Been maybe 15-20 years.

Damn, I didn’t get any phone numbers!!!!

I fell again two weeks ago, had my left foot out as I stopped but leaned to the right and down I went. This time it was my knee and YES, I had enough Band-Aids. (looked like a damn fool laying there with the damn bike on top of me)!!!!!
    Last edited by Burr; 07-04-08 at 07:20 AM.
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year I helped man a rest stop on a supported ride. I setup a camera where riders would enter the rest stop and dismount. I captured 8 riders making clipless falls.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.bikeforums.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=57360&dateline=1197386754[/SIGPIC]
    It's easier to pick a Yankee tourist than a bail of cotton.

My Bikes
    Trek Madone 5.5, Klein Q Pro Elite, Surley LHT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in a shop. When I sell a set of clip less pedals I tell the customer that they will fall at least 1 time. Probably at the most embarrassing time. Just like the event listed above. Rem,ember if all else fails read the instructions.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny, but as I read "in the middle of traffic" I shuddered. He could have been killed. But yes he sure does have a good sense of humor.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Steel Rider
    My Bikes
    Club Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Serves you right for going to Carl's Jr instead of In 'n' Out.

Quote Originally Posted by Burr View Post
    My lesson,
    I was at Newport Beach and pulled into a Carlís Jr. with my new cleats right beside a group of good looking young ladies and yes, I forgot I had cleats and down I went.
    The ladies offered to help but no way, I was tuff and I got up, locked the bike and went in a little embarrassed, got a 6$ low carb burger and set down. In a few minutes this nice look little thing came over and set beside me.
    She said, Ēyouíre a tuff guy and you recovered fast from laying on you assĒ. But, Iím a nurse and if you donít let me do something to your leg you are going to bleed to death. I looked down and the floor was covered with blood, my blood.
    I still have the scares from the big ring (6 teeth) today; I just counted them so I could post them. Been maybe 15-20 years.

Damn, I didnít get any phone numbers!!!!

I fell again two weeks ago, had my left foot out as I stopped but leaned to the right and down I went. This time it was my knee and YES, I had enough Band-Aids. (looked like a damn fool laying there with the damn bike on top of me)!!!!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Keo's on my main ride, but have older SPDs on my vintage bike. The teflon cleats on the Keo's unclip easily, but every time I ride the other bike I have at least one stop where I have to struggle to get out. I have to check the tension on it, but never think to do it until I'm out riding. And speaking of riding, I should get ready and do some right now. Maybe I'll adjust the pedal first!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast