Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new PB top speed; 72.2 MPH!!!

Not really, but it does sound cool.
    After 23 mles of a 25 mile ride, my wife and I stopped in the the local office supply store, locked up the bikes and went in. We came back out un locked and got ready to go. My wife noticed that her computer was going quite nuts, the speed numbers kep flashing to different speeds, the display kept changing from time to max speed to distance, etc. Just about every thing that could change was changing. Including the trip odometer. She just got new batteries for both peices, and it worked fine until now, so I didn't think it was that. And it was hot, so maybe it could have been that. Then I looked at mine, the same thing was happening! WTF? Then I realized that it was the automatic door opener for the store, that was causing interference, and making the things go wild. The problem stopped as soon as we where out of the parking lot. It added a few miles and minutes to the ride and odometer, and screwed up the average speed, and the max speed reads 72.2 MPH.
    The computers are both Cateye wireless. This is the first problem I have ever had with these.

My Bikes
    '01 Specialized Hard Rock, '06 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computers are never wrong. Congratulations on your new top speed. Did you feel any front end wobble?

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also have the same problem when you stop at a red light. One person I ride with does 48 mph while sitting at a red light.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did you buy that computer? I'm finding it harder, every year, to hit a maximum speed that matches my age.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wireless did that at a Ralphs grocery store recently. I assumed it was the sensor for the automatic doors. I popped the computer off the bike and it stopped once I got far enough away from the doors.

screenwasher
    My Bikes
    Jamis Aurora 2007, Bike Friday Pocket Crusoe 2006, Trek Antelope 820
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I clocked 75+ mph and covered 40+ miles in the time it took us for a leisurely coffee and muffin break during a recent club ride. This max speed idiosyncracy seems common to most wireless computers. In my case, it seems to have been interference from some high voltage transmission lines running overhead near the cafe.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't clear it until you take a picture!
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What you guys have discovered is the covert surveillance targeting bicyclist right to ride when and where we want and infringes on our fundamental personal freedoms . There is great fear amongst the car driving general public that with the rise in fuel prices that bicyclist will ultimately rule the roads. So big brother is monitoring us through our bicycle computers.

It is even worse that they are also intercepting the signals to our heart rate monitors.

Here is a new product for intercepting and neutralizing RF Interference. It does create some drag.

F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neon signs, high voltage power lines and electric fences can all cause that behavior. It is the reason I don't use wireless bike computers. My daughter her friend both constantly had that problem outside stores and restaurants on the Trans America last summer while my wired model worked flawlessly. I think they both have since switched to a wired model.