0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This 50+er is not fooling around!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this would get some comments. The blog and pictures from the ride are outstanding. I mean the guy is doing almost a century ride every day of the week!!!!

Liked the picture of "Welcome to Pennsylvania" followed by a pix of "Home for the Aged" sign. Says it all about the Keystone State.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    Pretty cool trip.

I plan to do a perimeter tour after I retire, but I would much prefer self supported touring to sagged touring. Being sagged really takes away from what touring is about for me. We (myself, my daughter, and a friend of her's from college) did enjoy some support for a minor portion of the TransAmerica, and it was nice but mainly only because we stayed for the night with family and friends. I wouldn't have wanted a major portion of the trip to have been that way.

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Superfly, Bianchi Axis, Trek Madone 5.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder how many of us dream of things like John is doing. I just blew off the afternoon and read every single post since his send-off BarBQue in Lombard to today's post...
    Awesome. Inspiring. The stuff of dreams.
    Someday. Maybe not 12K but something big like that.
    Congrats, John! Wish I was with you. And watch out for those C bolts.
    Take care and God bless!
    ---------------------
    Mike Wendland
    See my bike blog: MichiganBiking.org and MichiganderBikeTour.com
    Follow me on Twitter @michiganbiking and @michigandermike
    Bikes: '09 Gary Fisher Superfly, '08 Trek Madone 5.5, '05 Bianchi Axis

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That really make you feel good to see someone do something like this. I know it gives me a lot of inspiration to ride a little farther and to try a little more. Thanks for sharing .
    George

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW! This an amazing adventure, and such a worthwhile cause. John and Jane...thanks for letting us share this trip with you.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tremendously admire him and his wife. But I don't dream of making a 12,000 mile bike ride.

He sure is knocking off the miles, over 100 a day. He blew right through the northern section of Wisconsin a few days back.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    1983 Nishiki Cresta (original owner), 1987 Centurion Lemans RS, 1996 Gary Fisher X-Caliber, His and Hers Trek 800's, Schwinn beach cruiser woman's frame, and grandson's Huffy learner bike.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've read Ken Kifer's account of his 2000 Eastern tour, completely self supported and mostly camping. He managed from 50-65 miles most days. Without the need to set up camp and hunt for places to buy food, get water, etc, 100 miles a day may not be unreasonable. That's especially true if one isn't carrying his house in his panniers. While the 100 mile per day gets the job done, it seems that much is missed. I didn't read all this guy's blog, but its evident the photographer is primarily his wife. The feat is a great one, especially for one his age, but the not the way I would want to tour.