I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happened to all the stickies?

Did I miss some kind of announcement? Didn't we have several stickies? I only get one now...
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess one of the mods (not me) did some house cleaning.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, whoever did it. It's somewhat of a nuisance to have redundant stickies cluttering up the index page, especially when they're not really 'informative' topics.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The stickies were there for easy reference to information that otherwise would have scrolled off the page, since they didn't always get a lot of attention. Boo.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh crap!

Well, no matter how stupidly they muck this up I'm stayin' this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Uh oh.
    LOL

Simple, incontestible fact of internet forums. Whenever a forum moderator conducts some form of intevention, for every 1000 forum participants:

• 10 will complain, so vociferously that they will create an impression that a 'wave of resentment' exists regarding the intervention.
    • 100 will think that the intervention was warranted, but only one or two of those will comment to say so.
    • 890 won't even notice the intervention.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Wouldn't it be normal to ask if people care about the stickies before removing them? and I thought in some circumstances at least there is a note, sometimes identifying where they are moved to.

Do we really need change for no reason?

Road Fan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, and where did they go?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Fan View Post
    ..and I thought in some circumstances at least there is a note, sometimes identifying where they are moved to.
    They haven't been moved. They've merely been de-stickyed. Two are on page 1 of the section index, two more are on page 2 of the section index, any others have slipped further back to when they were last posted in.

The 'Weight loss challenge' thingy, for example, is still on page 1. It's something which has pretty much been 'kept alive' by only a few people, and if those people continue to post in it then it'll stay up top of index anyways. Didn't need to be stickified for that. DnvFox's 'questionairre' thingy is on page 1 too. It'll stay alive if people are actually interested.

None of them were really 'information' topics which are there to be consulted when frequently asked questions and issues arise.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being as how it has been at least 6 months since I read any of the stickies, I'm not in a position to complain about them being un-stickied.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other sub-forums have their stickies and they haven't been moved.

Who's picking on the old folks? C'mon, fess up!

At least clean up the forums equally.

Maybe the mods thought we wouldn't remember them.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty enough de-stickification candidates in those other sections, too. Hopefully whoever has started on the good work will keep it up.

A couple of examples:

The 'Car-free teenager' thread in Living Car-Free section. It's only apparent reason for stickification seems to be that it's a 'pet' thread of one the admins here, and it's long ago devolved into being merely yet another discussion ramble. Doesn't need to be stickied for that!

The 'R.I.P. Sheldon Brown' sticky in Road Cycling. Come on! Respect and condolences in regard to a well-respected figure is one thing, but condolences posted five months on are another thing again. Surely if people are just now becoming acquainted with the 'news' then they weren't too fussed from the outset? A condolence sticky which devolves into being pretty much a 'Postcount +1' opportunity isn't really respectful.

Plenty more too, if you look. Keep up the good work, mods! Don't stop here!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Is it too much trouble for a mod who does some "house cleaning" to let people know what happened?
    2012 Masi Evoluzione

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A mod WD-40'ed 50+
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Gee View Post
    Is it too much trouble for a mod who does some "house cleaning" to let people know what happened?
    The author of the stickies requested that they be unstuck.
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^

That gave me a better chuckle than Tom Bombadil's WD-40 comment!

My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you don't think the moderation team would dare interfere with the stickies in 50+ without a request from anyone less than the OP of said stickies, do you?
    "Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donnamb View Post
    The author of the stickies requested that they be unstuck.
    I wonder...once a sticky has resided in a forum for a long period of time, should that
    sticky belong to the original author or to the participants of the forum? After all, folks
    get accustomed to looking through some of those stickies for info and such. Just wonderin'.

There's most probably a rule about this that I've missed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me'n Tom Bombadil were cool with it. Can't help it if some of the rest of the fogeys here were a bit short on their meds this morning!

You mob just get on with doing your job wherever it needs to be done, and don't be worrying about crotchetty old geezers!

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, and where did they go?
    There were ClingOn's and they stuck together?

Alright, who made off with the 50+ Stickies? Fess Up?

Maybe we had better check Foo. Could it be - no not him - well maybe - oh I don't know. Ok, Ok, I'll say it: Did PCad have something to do with it as retaliation?
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each of the four stickies that were unstuck were written by me AND WERE REQUESTED TO BE STICKIES BY ME.

I am no longer proud to have my screen name on 4 of the first 5 posts in the 50+ forum, nor to have my screen name associated with the 50+ forum.

I asked the mods if the name (author) could be changed on those stickies, and there seems to be no technical way to do that without changing the name on all my posts, which I don't desire to do.

So, rather than have the posts completely deleted, I asked to have them unstickied (I believe this to be my right as the OP, and the person who requested they be stickied) so they might pass into obscurity.

No one likely would have ever noticed, except Digital Gee brought it up. I wanted it done quietly.

You have the option of writing new stickies if you so desire.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whippersnappers. They're all a bunch of dadgum whippersnappers. You know what they say.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did I miss some kind of announcement? Didn't we have several stickies? I only get one now...

The paste dried out and they fell off.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's important here is not the stickies themselves, but rather the chance they give us to now engage in reasoned, meaningful discussion. We will grow as a community as well as individuals, coming together through this series of internets tubes to make the forum, and the world, a better, more friendly and safe place.

Now if the evil mod overlords will just stop their Nazi-like random thread-killer terrorist policies we'll all be just fine. We'll be able to move on the critical topics, like: How many angels can dance on the head of a pin? Shimano or Campy? Double or tripple?

Let's focus, people.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast