User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone.

I hope I don't get slammed for posting this twice but I found this 50+ forum after I posted in the SoCal forum...

Hello everyone.

I just registered on the site and I haven't quite found my way around yet.

I am hoping to garner a little advice. I used to be an avid rider (oh that would be way back when I was a teen and in my twenties) and I took to the spokes again 10 years ago to participate in the California AIDS Ride from SF to LA (unfortunately I severely injured the illia tibia band of my right leg)

Now that I've turned 50 and find myself carrying an equal amount of excess baggage around with me I'm about to haul my butt back onto a saddle again after quite a few years in an attempt to get back in shape. Oil prices are helping in this decision too.

10 years ago I purchased a Mongoose Crossway 450 for the AIDS Ride and it served me well but it was stolen from my garage about a year ago.

I'm about to make a purchase and I hoped I could impose on you nice folks for advice. I'm looking at the Jamis Citizen 2 http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...8citizen2.html

It's in my price range and of the correct styling for a comfortable daily commute from home to office (12m RT)

While I was lurking for a few days, I found a thread somewhere on this board regarding tire sizes etc. but I can't find it again.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts why I should NOT purchase this bike I would really like to hear them.

Thank you and I look forward to participating in the forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. I can't tell you how many posts for new people start as yours did.... so, you're in good company. In terms of the Jamis, I couldn't get the link you posted to work. But, I currently own a Jamis, and the company has a reputation (well deserved I believe) for better than average value for the dollar spent.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    '08 Fuji Roubaix RC; '07 Schwinn Le Tour GS; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Citizen looks like it would be comparable to your Crossway. It should make a good commuter.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope this foray into cycling is more successful than your last attempt!

Jamis makes nice bikes. Most hybrids in a particular price range are very similar. That one looks solid and should work well for you. Just make sure you get the correct size.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Don't feel bad about posting in more than one place. Most of us 50+ers put things in as many places as possible........................it makes them that much easier to find later.

Jamis has an excellent reputation (my wife's cruiser is a Jamis). The bike you are looking at will get you back into biking without breaking the bank. Start out, ride as much as you feel like and as you bicycle fitness improves you will begin to see where you want to go down the road. I wish I lived 12 min away from work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    Welcome. I can't tell you how many posts for new people start as yours did.... so, you're in good company. In terms of the Jamis, I couldn't get the link you posted to work. But, I currently own a Jamis, and the company has a reputation (well deserved I believe) for better than average value for the dollar spent.
    but I'm a moderator on a photogrpahy forum so I should know better

anyway, thanks for the input. Any thoughts on the shock absorber front fork and tire sizes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I hope this foray into cycling is more successful than your last attempt!

Jamis makes nice bikes. Most hybrids in a particular price range are very similar. That one looks solid and should work well for you. Just make sure you get the correct size.

Yes, I'm shopping in the $400 area and it's funny how similar everything is until you hit the $1500 dollar range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CACycling View Post
    The Citizen looks like it would be comparable to your Crossway. It should make a good commuter.
    Thank you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Don't feel bad about posting in more than one place. Most of us 50+ers put things in as many places as possible........................it makes them that much easier to find later.

Jamis has an excellent reputation (my wife's cruiser is a Jamis). The bike you are looking at will get you back into biking without breaking the bank. Start out, ride as much as you feel like and as you bicycle fitness improves you will begin to see where you want to go down the road. I wish I lived 12 min away from work!
    Again thanks for the endorsement. I had never heard of Jamis before so I was a bit skeptical. Gee a skeptical 50 year old? How rare!!!
    Oh and it's a 12 mile round-trip to and from the office. Heck if it was 12 minutes I'd walk!

I'll ask you the same question: How about the shock absorber front fork and tire size? Someone else said the SA's are heavy and energy sapping.
    Last edited by AngeloOldSpokes; 07-02-08 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloOldSpokes View Post
    I hope I don't get slammed for posting this twice but I found this 50+ forum after I posted in the SoCal forum...

You'll only get slammed for acting your age. The main criteria for hanging about with the old geezers is you have to pretend you're really 25 again. The barometer to use to see if you're doing it correctly is to count how many times your kids (or neighbors kids if you don't have any) roll their eyes when you leave the house decked out in lycra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you've all been so kind I thought I'd share a funny with you:

well.... maybe not so funny....

A.A.A.D. D
    KNOW THE SYMPTOMS.....PLEASE READ!

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.
    Somehow I feel better,even though I have it!!

Recently, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D. -

Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.
    As I turn on the hose in the driveway,

I look
    over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage,

I notice mail on the porch table that
    I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table,

put the junk mail in the garbage can under the table,
    and notice that the can is full.

So, I decide to put the bills back

on the table and take out the garbage first.

But then I think,

since I'm going to be near the mailbox
    when I take out the garbage anyway,
    I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my check book off the table,

and see that there is only one check left.

My extra checks are in my desk in the study,

so I go inside the house to my desk where
    I find the can of Pepsi I'd been drinking.

I'm going to look for my
    checks,

but first I need to push the Pepsi aside
    so that I don't accidentally knock it over.

The Pepsi is getting warm,

and I decide to put it in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

As I head toward the kitchen with the Pepsi,

a vase of flowers on the counter
    catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Pepsi on the counter and

discover my reading glasses that
    I've been searching for all morning.

I decide I better put them back on my desk,

but first I'm going to water the flowers.

I set the glasses back down on the counter,

fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote.
    Someone left it on the kitchen table.

I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV,

I'll be looking for the remote,
    but I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table,
    so I decide to put it back in
    the den where it belongs,
    but first I'll water the flowers.

I pour some water in the flowers,

but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table,

get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to

remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:

the car isn't washed
    the bills aren't paid
    there is a warm can of Pepsi sitting on the counter
    the flowers don't have enough water,
    there is still only 1 check in my check book,
    I can't find the remote,
    I can't find my glasses,
    and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today,

I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all day,
    and I'm really
    tired.

I realize this is a serious problem,

and I'll try to get some help for it,
    but first I'll check my e-mail....

Do me a favor.

Forward this message to everyone you know,
    because I don't remember who I've sent it to.

Don't laugh -- if this isn't you yet, your day is coming!!
    Beware

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Green View Post
    You'll only get slammed for acting your age. The main criteria for hanging about with the old geezers is you have to pretend you're really 25 again. The barometer to use to see if you're doing it correctly is to count how many times your kids (or neighbors kids if you don't have any) roll their eyes when you leave the house decked out in lycra.
    Oh no dear, I didn't wear lycra when I did have a body for it!!!!

But the kids still roll their eyes at me

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again thanks for the endorsement. I had never heard of Jamis before so I was a bit skeptical. Gee a skeptical 50 year old? How rare!!!
    Oh and it's a 12 mile round-trip to and from the office. Heck if it was 12 minutes I'd walk!

I'll ask you the same question: How about the shock absorber front fork and tire size? Someone else said the SA's are heavy and energy sapping.
    1. On entry level bikes, the front suspension fork is heavy and not very effective.........oh sure, its a spring, but it has insufficient damping and rebound control. In some cases, it is nothing but a spring with friction damping. For the budget minded, you are spending too high a percentage of your bikes cost on insufficient return. For a commuter or rail trailer................stay clear.

2. Tire size is dependent on the terrain you intend to ride on and your tire size... The larger you are, the larger the tire you could use effectively. This provides the air volumn to withstand tire collapse on sharp objects and the inevetable "pinch flat". If you ride on loose terrain (unpaved rail trails, loose dirt roads, gravel or traprock, larger tires are your suspension system of choice. They will cushon the bumps and float you over the loose stuff. If you travel on pavement or hard dirt, then you can consider the advantages of the 700c wheel with a road or semi-road tire. There are some here who will recommend anything from 28 to 38mm wide tires in such a situation as opposed to the "skinney" 23/25mm road tires.
    Last edited by maddmaxx; 07-02-08 at 05:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's in my price range and of the correct styling for a comfortable daily commute from home to office (12m RT)

Very similar bike to the Avanti I purchased. The one you're looking at has better gears and front suspension.

I happily head off for quite lengthy rides which see me quite a few hours from home. The bike choice has me riding a tad slower than I would be on a more dedicated 'road bike', and working a wee tad harder to do so. But it also has me a lot more 'comfortable' in the knowledge that it is sturdy enough to handle a range of surface conditions I'm likely to encounter. I have a flat bar road bike here as well, but ride the hybrid by choice most of the time, because I'm less conscious of the bike and the road surface, so enjoy the ride and the scenery more.

That bike should handle a 12 mile commute no problems at all.

Welcome, by the way!

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to meet you AngeloOldSpokes. I personally would not get a hybrid with suspension. Low end suspension forks are heavy and not very effective. With 38 tires, you would get a pretty smooth ride anyway. I don't get the whole suspension hybrid thing, I don't see the benefit, just the drawbacks. Then again others seem to like 'em...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maddmaxx, catweazle, ad6mi:

thank you all for the additional comments.

I don't know what's hit the bike industry but this afternoon I popped into Performance Bikes in Santa Monica just to have a poke about and found almost all the bikes in the store had these front suspension forks.

I'm really torn about them. I'm not used to riding one and I don't necessarily want one. I'll head back to Hollywood Pro over the weekend and talk it through with Chris and decide on something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ..and found almost all the bikes in the store had these front suspension forks.
    When researching for my purchase, several months back, I was informed that nowadays manufacturers and outlets tend to group 'hybrids' into two distinct categories. 'Comfort bikes', which have suspension, and 'Performance bikes', which don't. The 'Performance' range tended to have more expensive gearing and tyres, which made them overall a more expensive purchase than the 'Comfort' bikes, despite the inclusion of a solid front fork.

Ask your dealer for what else is available from the catalogue. It just might be that they stock and display only the ranges they sell most, and can order in other alternatives for you.

I've not been disappointed with what I got. A bit further down the track I'll make the decision about whether to change it to a solid fork bike or simply get another one and pass this'n on to somebody else.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you've all been so kind I thought I'd share a funny with you:

well.... maybe not so funny.... ...
    Looks like you will fit in the 50+ forum just fine. By your post, I'm thinking that you may even be related to DG.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Jamis Gentry, a mountain/city bike with street tread Panaracer radial tires, in 1985. Radials didn't catch on.
    Anyway, if you are old and decrepit, you obviously need to look for a recumbent bike..............or a hybrid.
    Forget the front suspension fork unless you'll be on godawful rough roads. 700x32-35 seems to be a good compromise between comfort and efficiency in tires.
    Welcome aboard and have fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the 50+ fun house, AngeloOldSpokes.

Another factor to consider is the bike shop (LBS) where you are considering a purchase. Some LBS will just feel better to you...some will possibly emit bad vibes. Seeing as how you're going to be going back for tune ups, accessories, advice, etc. a good relationship with them is important.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to 50+ AOS.

My buddy Terrierman rode his Jamis last year when he and I both rode our first century. He seemed to be pretty proud of it. Perhaps he will contribute some info on the Jamis.

With regard to the manifestation of AAADD... I think I must be related to the protagonist of that story!

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would try the Coda before buying the Citizen.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I would try the Coda before buying the Citizen.
    +1. FWIW, a friend rides centuries on an older Jamis Quest, nice bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, all this great feedback. thank you all.

and that Coda looks like a good choice too. Well I think I'm fairly well destined to go with Jamis and will just have to decide on the model.

That Quest is a beauty too but I don't think I can fit with my air bag, um, I mean beer gut!

Well Chris used to work at I. Martin and now owns Hollywood Pro Bikes. He and I did the CA Ride together 10 years ago so I think I can trust him to be straight up with me. And the shop is three blocks away. Major convenience factor.

He gave me a Jamis catalogue, I'll thumb through all the models.

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi AngeloOS, welcome!

My two cents:

I can see myself in your introduction - was an avid biker in my teens and 20s to 30s. Neglected biking for most of my late 30s to early 40s, then returned mostly because I always loved it and with the added incentive of trying to restore my old body to a better state. I have to say it worked, and has left me with a true love of this sport. I hope it works this way for you, too.

I am (always have been) partial to road bikes and I hope you will at least try some out in your search for a workable bike that can serve several urban purposes. There are several out there that might interest you, including one or two made by Jamis that are pretty good bikes. If you are in the mood, check out a few basic entry-level and mid-range road bikes at a few different LBS - I suggest Trek, Fuji, LeMond, Bianchi.

I have owned a variety of touring and road bikes in my lifetime, but I now have my old mid-80s Univega Grand Touring and a new (last year) LeMond Sarthe. The LeMond replaced my ancient Nishiki. I'm a steel bike guy (wouldn't even consider anything more "modern" like aluminum or, god forbid, carbon - even though the LeMond has a carbon fork, of which I am quietly suspicious). I commute on both bikes, and ride/train on the LeMond, but I like the LeMond much more. Its considered a low- to mid-range road bike, but it will take me a few years more to outgrow it, if I ever do.

I would have made all of the above suggestions too, with emphasis on "forget the suspension" (just back away and keep walking), and "shop around" to find an LBS and a few bikes that really suit you before you make up your mind. Try not to limit yourself to "comfort" or (I will draw fire for this...) hybrids only, but try a few road bikes too.

If you really get into this, you will most likely find a whole new world opening up (with a price-tag to match), and capabilities you never thought you had. Get a good bike to start out with, and you will have fewer regrets (and fewer envies and disappointments) in the long run. Nothing is a bargain if you hate it after a few months, when you start getting good.

Have a great time! Let us know how it goes

- Rober
    Last edited by Rober; 07-02-08 at 11:15 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast