Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Duh! Saddle height

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Duh! Saddle height

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-08, 11:32 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Duh! Saddle height

Just a note on the importance of getting saddle height perfectly dialed in.

I haven't been riding much this summer (new city, new house, tough at work, etc) so in the last 3 weeks with the drier weather in the PNW I start riding my 2 older road bikes. Something wasn't quite right, I didn't attribute it to my riding position but to a lack of fitness. Developed soreness on the front of my right kneecap after a few miles of riding at a moderate pace - nothing serious, but definately worrisome. Did I strain it with all the moving?

To make a long story short, I hopped on one of my newer road bikes this afternoon and went for a 20 mi ride - no knee pain at all. Tonight I found out that my son had lowered the saddle for his own comfort on the older bikes - "...only a few mm, Dad, I swear - it shouldn't make any difference".

Well only a few millimeters of saddle height adjustment can make a big difference. Thought I'd share.
Old 07-10-08, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
an old trick I recall from earlier riding days:

mark your saddle post with a waterproof marker. instant, easy identifier for whenever you remove / replace your seat (or the kid borrows the bike)
Old 07-10-08, 06:38 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by AngeloOldSpokes
an old trick I recall from earlier riding days:

mark your saddle post with a waterproof marker. instant, easy identifier for whenever you remove / replace your seat (or the kid borrows the bike)
I measure from the top of the saddle to the top of the bottom pedal in line with the seat tube. For me that's exactly 36". That way I can quickly adjust any bike that I want to ride.
Old 07-10-08, 06:41 AM
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a similar measurement when I am making my homebuilt recumbents...from the back of the seat to where I need to plan on installing the pedals.
Old 07-10-08, 02:40 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did a ride earlier in the year after changing cranks on the TCR. It came with a standard crank 172.5. before it left the shop-I changed it to a compact in 165 and kept the standard crank. Just to see what they were like- I put the standard crankset on. Adjusted the front derailler and chain length and went out for a twenty mile ride. Did a lot of riding the hills out of the saddle as when I put pressure in- the Butt got a twinge and the thighs hurt. So the standard crank was not for me.

Except- I had not adjusted for the different crank length The saddle was just a bit too high---7,5mm to be exact. Readjusted saddle height and my first thought was correct. The standard crank is not for me.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-10-08, 03:08 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
I changed to 10MM shorter cranks a few weeks ago, so I went out for a flat 10 mile "test drive".
I expected them to "feel different", but I was about 3 miles into it before I remembered I'd forgot to raise the seat. Sure wish I headed straight home and adjusted the seat, instead of finishing the ride! Mr. Knee was sore for a couple days.