Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Stickies Again - Ugh!! (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/437025-stickies-again-ugh.html)

DnvrFox 07-03-08 06:52 PM

Stickies Again - Ugh!!

Dare I bring them up?

Stickies Again - Ugh!!

I had four stickies under my authorship.

1. Thread to Share our Rides - this never went anywhere, and was a bad idea from the get-go

2. List of 50+ Bicycles. This was very popular, but I stopped maintaining it after a year, and it really ended up a mish mash of statements, various lists, and became pretty incoherent. My purpose in starting it was to give 50+ newbies and returning bicyclists an opporunity to see that 50+'rs ride a great variety of bikes, not just hybrids and comfort bikes. I think it has gone beyond its purpose and deserves to die.

3. Thread for older newbies and those returning to bicycling. I kind of think this served a useful purpose to give older newbies and returning 50+ bicyclists an intro into, and various opinions about, what is important for older newbies. However, that is only my internal, somewhat biased opinion. What do others (especially newbies) think? Was it helpful to have this available?

4. Thread where folks answered a series of questions I wrote WAY BACK for 50+ riders to answer. Undoubtedly the single largest collection of data anywhere on the characteristics of 50+ riders - it would be a gold mine for a senior or master's paper for someone finishing a degree. It would also make a super article for a magazine such as Bicycling (or perhaps AARP)?? This was posted heavily with almost a thousand posts, and thousands and thousands of hits/views. I have folks tell me that they read the ENTIRE thread, and it gave them insight into and helped them start their bicycling as beginners and returning bicyclers.

OK, I got pissed off at everyone, and had them removed. I also felt it was a bad thing for them to all be authored by ME! I want (wanted) to get away from being Mr. 50+ as much as possible.

However, the possibility exists of resurrecting these, either as a continuation, or as a rewrite, or as a portion of a "super sticky" which listed links to some of the above within its contents.

I know Catweazle has expressed his concerns and dislike for most stickies, but neither he nor I are in charge of this forum (Praise the Lord).

So, what are your thoughts?

cyclinfool 07-03-08 07:03 PM

I am not much of a "sticky" guy - never really looked at them, I live in the moment. But you did hit upon something, write a book if you can get the material back and BF will clear any copyright issues. I would write a letter to Friel and his publishers and pitch the idea of a co-authorship thing. There is space for a book about "Cycling for Life at 50+", less about training and more about sustainability in mind and body. I encourage you to give it a shot.

The Weak Link 07-03-08 07:31 PM

Well if you ask me....

....don't like stickies. Never have. Never will.

There is much joy to be had when a noob posts, "I want to get back into riding. What do you recommend?" I'd rather be composing a response to that than stewing about some PCad comment.

Catweazle 07-03-08 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by DnvrFox (Post 6996839)
I know Catweazle has expressed his concerns and dislike for most stickies, but neither he nor I are in charge of this forum (Praise the Lord).

I don't dislike stickies just because they're stickies. I just dislike seeing a clutter of stickies which have outlived their purpose, or topics stickied for little reason other than the fact that they are currently rather 'active'.

Of the 4 you specifically mention I think the 'Welcome' one probably merits still being there. I thinks the general forum 'Introductions' section is a bit of a giggle, but definitely believe that 'Welcome' stickies in relevent sections are a good thing, and this section would be one such.

I also think that there's benefit to having a sticky which, as you've mentioned, provides links to really useful topics which exist in the database. Serves as a 'directory' of sorts for newcomers to the section, giving prominence to really good stuff they might miss in their searching for content.

Other than that, the only stuff I personally think warrants sticky prominence would be the FAQ/Guide/How-to kinda topics which address frequently sought information and concerns, where the initial topic post or posts represents a reasonably well written guide, and which is kept updated over time by the topic poster to include extra or altered information which arises from the later postings in the topic or from altered circumstances.

I did think of writing one of those up myself, a while back and shortly after coming here. An 'introduction guide' for the older cyclist who is new to cycling or who has been off a bike for so long that they might as well be new to it. I was very appreciative of the advice and assistance I received here, and wanted to give something back. Didn't do it, though, as I thought it'd possibly be considered as a bit presumptuous, maybe. Maybe it's time to revisit that idea. I have that particular perspective, and I write OK enough :)

Yen 07-03-08 08:55 PM

I don't mind stickies... I guess I don't have a strong opinion about them either way. However, I enjoyed being able to readily see them at the top whenever I logged in and will miss those particular ones if they go away.

I like the idea of a "super sticky".

Yen 07-03-08 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Catweazle (Post 6997422)
I did think of writing one of those up myself, a while back and shortly after coming here. An 'introduction guide' for the older cyclist who is new to cycling or who has been off a bike for so long that they might as well be new to it. I was very appreciative of the advice and assistance I received here, and wanted to give something back. Didn't do it, though, as I thought it'd possibly be considered as a bit presumptuous, maybe. Maybe it's time to revisit that idea. I have that particular perspective, and I write OK enough :)

I think that's a wonderful idea! There is a lot of information in this forum to dig through, and having a "getting started" guide at the top could even include a list of books for 50+ cyclists.

Beverly 07-03-08 09:07 PM

I agree that the one about bikes was out of control. I like the idea of one that encourages first time visitors to post an introduction. I often miss new posters if I've been away for a few days.

grayloon 07-03-08 09:17 PM

Catweazle's idea for an introduction to cycling for older riders new or returning to the sport is a great idea. Sometimes, stickies are great, like the one mentioned and maybe the introduction sticky. With some sticky subjects, it may be best if they are not added to, just edited as things may change. They do tend to get too long.

Catweazle 07-04-08 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Yen (Post 6997455)
I think that's a wonderful idea! There is a lot of information in this forum to dig through, and having a "getting started" guide at the top could even include a list of books for 50+ cyclists.

Good. If the idea grabs you then you might well think of stuff I don't! :D

I've sketched up an outline, and written up the intro to it. It's an article covering the basics of:
  • Deciding what type of cycling you want to do
  • Picking the type of bike to suit what you want to do
  • Making sure the thing fits your body size and shape, so you can be comfortable on it.
  • Getting started with the attitude and riding technique which will give you the best chance to improve your riding skills.

All going to be written up in simple everyday language, and as free as possible of both my own Aussie euphamisms and any overkill of technical jargon.

Any lists of linkys to good topics here and also resources elsewhere will be appreciated. So will all criticisms and suggestions made after I post the first revision of it sometime over the coming days. I think it could be whipped up into something worthwhile without too much trouble.

RoMad 07-04-08 08:34 AM

I don't normally read t'he stickies, but I got used to them being there and every now and then would scan them a little. I like CW's idea and maybe on the types of bikes the pros and cons of different styles, designs. Also how about what to expect when you go into LBS and they take one look at your high mileage 50+ body and decide what you need before you say hello (or g'day mate).

Yen 07-04-08 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Catweazle (Post 6999048)
Good. If the idea grabs you then you might well think of stuff I don't! :D

You're off to a good start. Soliciting others' suggestions for content is a good idea, and you can add them in your own excellent writing style.

Yen 07-04-08 09:25 AM

Whenever I'm introduced to new software, my eyes light up when I see a title like "Getting Started Guide" or "New here? Read this first", or the like.

I am a member of a gardening forum site where many of the forums include a FAQ at the top.

Retro Grouch 07-04-08 09:30 AM

I don't recall ever having opened any of the sticky threads. Consequently they never bothered me and not having them doesn't bother me either.

Road Fan 07-04-08 10:45 AM

I think the last two threads should be brought back as a place to find reference information. I tend to like to browse rather than search. I have consulted them from time to time.

I think there should be at least one new sticky, perhaps a closed one, that states the purpose of the 50+ subforum so every one can find it while in the forum. Yes, I know it is in the page that lists the forums, but I think it is important, and should be here. With it should be a discussion sticky on rules, conventions, and non-desired behavior. This thread should be heavily monitored to assist iwth the emergence of a consensus, which would then be frozen. We may want to state expectations for freedoms and constraints relative to the moderators, who should be identified in that place. We may also want to state standards (not laws or policies) of behavior related to seriously discordant threads or postings.

Long Distance isn't quite this contentious, but they have an excellent foundation laid by their stickies. So did we, and we should again. If there is an issue with them being authored by someone who feels ownership and may wish to leave at some time, then let a mod author them if they agree to be consensual. Or a member who does not feel owner ship of their words can step up and author them.

Finally, I think there is some specialized fitting and tuning info that we as middle-and-later life people need, and that it should be captured in a special place for quick reference - again, not to be moved to another forum by a mod or killed by an author.

Reading back over what I wrote, I think I am calling for an explicit return to the original stated goals of the subforum, and to print them on a flag, and to fly that flag so we all can see it. It might help us to remain on the path that has been established. The Constitution and the Declaration of Independence have done that for the USA (and other foundational documents for our other democracies), and why not for BF50+?

amazing what Independence Day can do for you, what?

Road Fan

Artkansas 07-04-08 01:01 PM

I was okay with the stickies there, but I really don't care. They are just another thread. To me this issue is too tiny to even care about. I'm surprised that with so many good things going on in Denver's life, that this is even deserving any of his time.

DnvrFox 07-04-08 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Artkansas (Post 7000283)
I was okay with the stickies there, but I really don't care. They are just another thread. To me this issue is too tiny to even care about. I'm surprised that with so many good things going on in Denver's life, that this is even deserving any of his time.

Best advice of the year! :beer:

DnvrFox 07-06-08 03:31 PM

Due to only 15 responses and 194 views to this poll - indicating a VERY low interest in stickies, I will take no further action on resurrecting the 4 "Fox" stickies.

If someone else wants to do it - that is fine with me.

Bye-bye stickies!

:cry::p:cry:

Siu Blue Wind 07-06-08 05:43 PM

Shall I close this thread now?

Catweazle 07-06-08 06:02 PM

It'll die by itself when time is right, Siu Blue Wind. I'm half-way through writing the 'FAQ for newbies' mentioned above, have already benefitted from comments made here, and would appreciate any firther comment lodged whilst I'm writing it.

If no further posts are made the thread will slip down by itself anyway. :D