User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    cannondale road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm biking 13.2+miles one way each day - anyone else?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. Just wondering if anyone else is biking to/from work. I started biking in 1971 during the first gas crisis. Been biking off/on since then. Anyone out there biking? I'm 60 1/2 yrs old. Loving the ride!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!! Good for you for continuing to ride all these years. Wow!

I'd love to ride to work and back, but the 26-mile route would take me almost 2 hours one way. If I lived 10 miles or less from work I'd definitely try it.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nats1mom View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. Just wondering if anyone else is biking to/from work. I started biking in 1971 during the first gas crisis. Been biking off/on since then. Anyone out there biking? I'm 60 1/2 yrs old. Loving the ride!
    HERE is where you want to look for other commuters ....
    Last edited by garysol1; 07-03-08 at 08:42 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy. I commute 5 miles into work, and vary the ride home..sometimes
    as much as 25 miles, sometimes as little as 5 miles.

Welcome and Happy Trails.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biking to and from work semi-regularly since 1973. Currently a couple of times a week 9.3mi. each way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Thats a long time riding wow. 15 miles each way for me.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

We had a thread about this a couple of months ago ...quite a few 50+ers checked in, and provided some commuting tips and facts as well.

here was the thread...

Roll call: who will commute by bike in 2008?

bb

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I envy people who can commute by bike.

I wish commuting by bike was an option for me. It's 30 miles one way and I just don't have enough time for riding the bike to work
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bike to and from work, 11 miles each way, 4 days a week. I am wondering how cold-proof I am come winter. I'm betting I'm back on light rail or the car by the end of November. Keep riding!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. My current commute is a mere 3 miles each way, but I've had them up at 9 miles and 17 miles each way. Welcome.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya, nats1mom.

I don't do daily work commutes, but the distances you're referring to are about what I like to ride on a daily basis, whenever possible. It'll vary for different people, but to me that sounds like about an hour morning and evening, and that's a really enjoyable thing to do!

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2009 Cervelo R3SL tdf edition, Cervelo R5 with Di2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just starting to dabble in it. Twice this week, 7.7 miles one way. Most of it is pretty safe. A couple of long light waits to cross major roads, but I don't actually ride on any major roads. I've brought in a cache of clothes to wear, so I can ride in light on my road bike. Hopefully I can make it a permanent habit. Doubt I'll do it in the dark or the winter though.

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, me. 24 miles R/T daily to work; 61 yrs old. Good to see that there is at least another regular commuter on this list. I agree with another poster's implication that this list is almost barren of any useful commuting discussion, but disagree that commuting is not an appropriate topic for this list.

I think it would be improved with more such discussion of 50+ cyclists perspective on commuting.

My Bikes
    Road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    13.8 each way, only been doing it this year and part of last year. I am 48 and love it. Gotta find some way to have my morning coffee on the way though.
    Good Night Chesty, Wherever You Are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    13.8 each way, only been doing it this year and part of last year. I am 48 and love it. Gotta find some way to have my morning coffee on the way though.

I get to ride occasionally, 12 miles each way. Welcome to the forum! I've also been riding steadily since 1975, though you have a few years on me!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20 miles one way

I try to ride 40 miles round trip once a week to a bike shop that I wrench at. It takes two hours one way. But being in the Metro Detroit area which is not exactly bike friendly it seems like a long two hours.

Dave 53

link
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...s/759717170128
    Last edited by biketech1; 07-04-08 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    Welcome!! Good for you for continuing to ride all these years. Wow!

I'd love to ride to work and back, but the 26-mile route would take me almost 2 hours one way. If I lived 10 miles or less from work I'd definitely try it.
    A guy I work with drives about 1/2 way from his house and parks at the outer reaches of a big box store (Home Depot) parking lot and rides a 5 mile flat route to and from work. It has made a big difference for him and he's riding more and more and feels good. He couldn't ride the whole way to work and back without beating himself up physically because of both the distance and hills. By the way, he did talk to a manager at Home Depot and the guy said OK, and was actually surprised he bothered to ask.

I commute 12.5 miles each way, typically about 3-4 times per week. 1/2 fo the ride (near my office) is flat and a very pleasant with little traffic and easy street crossings. The first half in in the morning is rolling hills, tending downward about 1,000 ft. This of course means the ride home ends with some steady climbing for 5-6 miles. Always feels worth it, even though inertia makes it difficult to get going 1/2 hour early in the morning.
    Last edited by Camilo; 07-04-08 at 01:18 PM.

just over the next hill cruzMOKS's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe 2006 Fuji Tahoe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My normal commute into work is 4 miles. I add a 4.5 mile loop in the morning. I have been commuting on and off since Jan 06.
    Enjoy the ride.
    Bianchi Volpe 2006; Fuji Tahoe 1990

My Bikes
    '74 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2005 Raleigh Grand Prix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 12.0 mile commute to work that I currently do twice or 3 times a week, depending on the schedule. Once you get used to it, things get better. My first couple of trips took me an hour and a quarter; the last one took 65 minutes. It really depends on just how you hit the traffic lights on the way in. Sure beats driving the car!

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to start commuting the 14th of this month when I get off of vacation. I have driven all of the routes in my truck, rode them on my bicycle and I have it planned. I can not go all the way because the last 6 miles is a private 2 lane road very busy with construction traffic and also a security check point that doesn't allow bicycles. I will drive my truck to work on Monday with my bike in the back and then on the way home leave my truck at a business where I know the owner and then ride 15 miles home. Tuesday I will ride back to my truck and drive it the rest of the way and so on. I am going to start out riding 3 days a week and see how it works out. We have a nice locker room with showers at work so I will be able to leave clothes there and shower every morning. I was going to ride my sons converted mountain bike but I just like my road bike so much better that I am going to ride it.

My Bikes
    cannondale road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't quit in November - best time to bike!!!

I rode my bike during the winter months. Wore a wool cap under my helmet, wind/rain-proof jacket and pants. Wore baggies over my socks. Not bad once you're rolling - just cannot bike on the first snow day until "after" the roads are cleared. I believe snow tires are now available for bikes. It's refreshing to bike in the early a.m. during cold weather. Good luck!!

My Bikes
    cannondale road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morning coffee when I arrive a "coffee mocha"

I prepare my coffee the night before in my one-cup expresso pot. I pour the hot coffee into an insulated mug, place plastic wrap over the top of the cup and then place the clamp-down lid. I then place the insulated cup inside a baggie and tie it off with a twistie. I then place the baggie/cup inside my bike bag and drink it when I arrive at work - my reward!! I love drinking my coffee mocha in the a.m. - the best!

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilWinIL View Post
    My first couple of trips took me an hour and a quarter; the last one took 65 minutes. It really depends on just how you hit the traffic lights on the way in. Sure beats driving the car!
    For me the elapsed time for the 12 miles depends on temperature - cold weather means heavy shoes; and more importantly, wind direction. I prefer the comfort of an upright riding posture but there is a price to pay when the wind blows in the wrong direction. The comfort benefit is more important than saving time, I just ride slower into a headwind when commuting, no big deal for me since I am not in "training" for a race. Probably even burn up a few extra calories - a good thing!

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I occasionally ride to work - mostly I carry so much work back and forth that I don't because I don't have a cargo rack set up on the Gary Fisher. My commute use to be 2 miles until they move my office to the middle of the campus, now it's 1.5 miles - all on the bike path. It doesn't get any better than that.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prepare my coffee the night before in my one-cup expresso pot. I pour the hot coffee into an insulated mug, place plastic wrap over the top of the cup and then place the clamp-down lid. I then place the insulated cup inside a baggie and tie it off with a twistie. I then place the baggie/cup inside my bike bag and drink it when I arrive at work - my reward!! I love drinking my coffee mocha in the a.m. - the best!
    May I make a suggestion? Try a Sega insulated stainless steel bottle. They fit into the bottle cage well, have a very secure screw-top lid, and keep coffee hot for about 2-3 hours - much hotter than those leaky insulated cups. I leave a cup at work and bring coffee daily on my bike. Works very well, and I don't have to carry a container of liquids in my bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast