User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A soggy 14 miles

I planned to do 100K on the Freedom Tour today but the weather just wouldn't cooperate. A friend and I started the ride in a light rain with plans to take the 50K route if it started raining harder. But by the time we reached the 10 mile mark it was pouring and there didn't seem to be any relief in sight

Our shoes were soggy, glasses were steaming and the rain tickled my nose as it dripped off the end. In addition I was being sprayed by his rooster tail coming off his recumbent After riding through a reserve area and climbing the dam we decided to call it a day and head back to our cars.

At least we did one of the nicest parts of the ride, got a water bottle and t-shirt before abandoning the ride. There's always tomorrow
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have done this and it is no fun. Did a Cancer charity ride last year. We were going for a centruy but ended up cutting it off at 65 miles. More flats than I have ever seen, guess the rain washed all the junk onto the road. Buddie crashed and we were pretty miserable.

Got back and someone said "wow you guys are amazing" , only partially correct, amazingly stupid.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to ride in England- You learn the word "Goretex"

Luckily- I was getting over the bypass in 99 but went to see my mates doing the Salisbury 100. Rained all the way down- Right through the day and the following night aswell. 92 and I did a 100 mile offroad- rained all day. 2006 and another 100 miler offroad on the Tandem and aborted at 65 miles and the best of the lot- Got Hypothermia on a metric in 01 but that also had a Headwind that got up to 70mph for the last 5 miles across the top of a Moor. Had other wet rides- but these are the ones that stick in my mind. They were bad.

So get a goretex and Practice.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Telling us how you suffered through a miserable 50K or 100K ride would have made a better story. Once you get soaking wet, you might as well grind it out.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's wet, then there's wet and cold.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    So get a goretex and Practice.
    I was wearing the Goretex jacket It just didn't help keep the feet dry or the glasses clear enough to see. Wet feet don't bother me too much but when I can't see over 15 feet ahead I'm ready to call it quits

I usually wear the cycling sandals when it rains but it was a little too chilly for them today.
    My cancer updates:

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    There's wet, then there's wet and cold.
    Yep, it was wet and cold this morning It was in the mid fifties when we started and it didn't get much warmer.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Yep, it was wet and cold this morning It was in the mid fifties when we started and it didn't get much warmer.
    It wasn't raining here this morning but it was overcast and cold. I stayed home - 'can you say w-u-s-s-y, boys and girls?'

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wet and cold is definitely a different matter. Wet and mid fifties would change my tune in a hurry. I can't remember when we last saw a low temperature in the fifties. In fact, we have not seen the sixties for a while.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Wet and cold is definitely a different matter. Wet and mid fifties would change my tune in a hurry. I can't remember when we last saw a low temperature in the fifties. In fact, we have not seen the sixties for a while.
    We've been seeing lower than average temps the past week. It's been great riding weather as long as it's dry. I've actually had to wear arm warmers or a light jacket on rides - something I can't remember doing in June and July for years.
    My cancer updates:

-- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is warm rain and there is cold rain.

We here in Colorado have never seen warm rain. Generally even our summer rain is accompanied by hail, sleet and wind.

I think it must be a lot different than riding in the warm rain. I'd like to try that sometime.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glasses were steaming.
    I always wonder how we are seen from vehicles when rain riding.

Placed a plastic bag over the camera to keep it dry.

Then took this one:

[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I planned to do 100K on the Freedom Tour today but the weather just wouldn't cooperate. A friend and I started the ride in a light rain with plans to take the 50K route if it started raining harder. But by the time we reached the 10 mile mark it was pouring and there didn't seem to be any relief in sight

Our shoes were soggy, glasses were steaming and the rain tickled my nose as it dripped off the end. In addition I was being sprayed by his rooster tail coming off his recumbent After riding through a reserve area and climbing the dam we decided to call it a day and head back to our cars.

At least we did one of the nicest parts of the ride, got a water bottle and t-shirt before abandoning the ride. There's always tomorrow
    Oh sure. Pin it all on the recumbent!

Hope your next ride works out better.