My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's Saturday, this must be (Tour de) France

From RoadBikeRider's newsletter:

---The 95th Tour de France starts Saturday in Brest in the country's northwest corner. Rather than a short prologue time trial (a 40-year tradition) this edition begins with a road stage of 197 km (122 miles) ending in the village of Plumelec. It won't be an easy ride, with 4 category 4 climbs and a 2-km-long uphill finish including an 8% pitch. In addition to this unconventional start, the Tour has only 2 time trials in its 3,554-km (2,203-mile) journey to Paris -- stage 4 with 29.4 km (18.2 miles) on relatively tame terrain, and the penultimate stage 20 covering 53 km (32.7 miles) on narrow, multidirectional country roads. Daily stage previews and results can be found on velonews.com at http://tinyurl.com/5dy3gm, and it also will have live real-time updates during each stage each day through the finish on July 27.

Versus Schedule (Times are EASTERN time)

Stage 1: Saturday, July 5, 2008
    Brest to Plumelec

8:30am to 11:30am: LIVE Daily Coverage
    10:30am to 1:30pm: Race Action Replay
    4:00pm to 6:00pm: Race Action Replay
    8:00pm to 11:00pm: Expanded Primetime Coverage
    12:00am to 3:00am: Race Action Replay

Check here for complete schedule:

http://www.versus.com/tdf/article/vi...f_schedule.tpl

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite month of the year.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am just about bouncing off the walls... between this and the F1 British GP this weekend, what more could I want?
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai View Post
    I am just about bouncing off the walls... between this and the F1 British GP this weekend, what more could I want?
    Saturday afternoons during college football season. Roar Lions, Roar!

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahhh finally! and wouldn't it be nice if VS could give us cycling once a day year round? How about getting 2 hours a day of Giro coverage. That would have been nice. Or maybe some world cup Biathlon in the winter. They could replace the BBQ chamionships fifth replay or something.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll watch, but I'm still bummed about Leipheimer and Contador.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLAB View Post
    ahhh finally! and wouldn't it be nice if VS could give us cycling once a day year round? How about getting 2 hours a day of Giro coverage. That would have been nice. Or maybe some world cup Biathlon in the winter. They could replace the BBQ chamionships fifth replay or something.
    You remember when ESPN would run the Americas cup races, hours spend looking at a sweaty Dennis Connor with a white zinc oxide nose - who could ask for anything more! I just can't see how one can sit a watch this stuff - whether it's football or biking. I love the "highlights" but not the whole thing. I have always felt you need to be there to enjoy sports watching, IMHO 75% of the thrill comes from the crowd.

[rant] As far as BBQ coverage - it's what TV has come too. Even channels that had thoughtful programming have turned to things like "Dirty Jobs" or "Monster Machines". Now that I am on a roll here - what about the news coverage - the cable news networks have really gotten awful lately. CNN got dumb and I went to Fox - now Fox has the same blond model on each show and no depth of coverage (they are great to look at though). I'm about ready to throw the stupid box out the window. [/rant].
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still miss them having the prologue, as I liked watching the short and fast time trial and letting that determine who has the yellow jersey. That said, I'll be glued to the TV for 3 weeks. Is there a 12 step program for that?

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    [rant] As far as BBQ coverage - it's what TV has come too. Even channels that had thoughtful programming have turned to things like "Dirty Jobs" or "Monster Machines". Now that I am on a roll here - what about the news coverage - the cable news networks have really gotten awful lately. CNN got dumb and I went to Fox - now Fox has the same blond model on each show and no depth of coverage (they are great to look at though). I'm about ready to throw the stupid box out the window. [/rant].
    It can get far, far worse.

The Batchelor?

The Batchelorette?

Yesterday there was a "What not to wear" marathon. I like the show, but after having it on the tube for four hours straight I was reduced to drooling and babbling.

No one noticed.

Back to the OP: I love the coverage. I think the tactics are fascinating, and you don't get a feel for that with American-style ESPN highlights. Nothing beats a camera close-up to a cyclist who is obviously in agony and looks like he's going to pass out and have Liggett announce, "He appears to be in a spot of bother".

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just can't see how one can sit a watch this stuff - whether it's football or biking. I love the "highlights" but not the whole thing. I have always felt you need to be there to enjoy sports watching, IMHO 75% of the thrill comes from the crowd.
    While I love the thrill of being there, whether a bike race or a football game, and would always choose to see it in person over watching it on TV, there is a lot to be said for seeing it live on TV. Much of the thrill of bike races is seeing how the strategies develop. There is so much going on in a bike race that you can't possibly keep up with it from a spot along the course. And a highlights summary can only offer a pale imitation of the build up of drama that happens during a race as the various strategies are set up, attempted, reassessed and changed. I especially enjoy it when I get surprised when what I thought was developing turns out to not be the real story. You have to watch it all to get the full experience.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    My favorite month of the year.
    +1000
    George

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife will suffer for the next 3 weeks. But I have satellite and the race has full coverage in the day. Only a 1 hour highlights at night so I will record the day programme- Watch the highlights in the evening and if I feel I want more- I can watch the full programme.

Now if I get home at 6PM- I should be getting to bed by about 2AM. Any got got any matches to keep the eyes open. Thank goodness for the rest days.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud Bent View Post
    I'll watch, but I'm still bummed about Leipheimer and Contador.
    I was going to skip it I'm so pissed. I still believe Floyd, and Levi got totally screwed.
    But, there I was at 5:30 in front of the TV, darn it.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

Steel Rider
    My Bikes
    Club Fuji
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree! Does anyone remember when CNN and Headline News used to have news? What about MTV and VH1? Once upon a time they used to air music videos!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, Ive got an idea. Let's forget about what we don't like for a moment and talk about how great it is to see top level cycling competition live on TV every day for 3 weeks.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has a whole year already passed? Seems like the last one just ended! I plan to follow it this year. Yes, it may be thrilling to be there to see it in person, but watching it on TV allows the viewer to "be there" for every inch of ride -- not so if you are there in person. I am in awe of their strength and ability -- they must be the gifted 1%.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asides from catching PBS news, we don't do much TV. Don't feel like we're missing anything.

My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Versus on stupid Charter Cable in my town was off last night and at 5:30 AM PDT it was still off.

Actually, I think it has been off since last weekend when I recorded some cycling and when I played it back it was just digital garbage or a blank screen. I just put it off to a one day thing, but guess not.

Must go to show that NOBODY watches bull riding, bass fishing or cage wrestling, at least in my area, since the 2 Charter reps I complained at today said they didn't have any other calls about Versus being out.

They said it took 3 complaints to declare a 'wide area outage', so I emailed a couple of other riders in my area and asked them to complain so at least somebody at the local Charter office would change the channel to Versus and discover it was off.

Must have worked, as it came back on about noon, west coast time, so I am at least watching the 2 hour highlights now.

Lets hope it says on for tomorrow morning.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiph View Post

Schedule (Times are EASTERN time)
    But what if you live in the Mountain TZ? The zone that time forgot!

My Bikes
    Used Marin MTB, New 6/06 Scott Contessa Speedster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love watching it, and a BIG Thank you to Vs for putting it on. Hincapie has long been a favorite and so now I am really enjoying Columbia and learning about some of the new riders. The weekends are great, I can watch the finish like 3 times. Anybody know or understand why they decided not to use time bonuses this year?

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    While I love the thrill of being there, whether a bike race or a football game, and would always choose to see it in person over watching it on TV, there is a lot to be said for seeing it live on TV. Much of the thrill of bike races is seeing how the strategies develop. There is so much going on in a bike race that you can't possibly keep up with it from a spot along the course. And a highlights summary can only offer a pale imitation of the build up of drama that happens during a race as the various strategies are set up, attempted, reassessed and changed. I especially enjoy it when I get surprised when what I thought was developing turns out to not be the real story. You have to watch it all to get the full experience.
    +1 Well, not the football game

I've been watching it everyday and I usually log on from work to catch the highlights of the race.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYLAB View Post
    But could you stand the hour of woodie enhancment commercials to get the 2 hours of cycling coverage?

Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    But could you stand the hour of woodie enhancment commercials to get the 2 hours of cycling coverage?
    I did watch the first stage yesterday and have never seen so many commercials with such short content intervals between them. What an ordeal! No more watching it without time shifting and commercial skipping.

My Bikes
    Felt Z35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I was going to skip it I'm so pissed. I still believe Floyd, and Levi got totally screwed.
    But, there I was at 5:30 in front of the TV, darn it.
    I wish Levi was riding but I love the tour so I was there at 8:30.

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    There's no way I would attempt to watch any of this live. Even the last day, I'll let the dvr get an hour head start.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast