Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   What to do with "didn't work" bike stuff (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/437481-what-do-didnt-work-bike-stuff.html)

TruF 07-05-08 09:40 AM

What to do with "didn't work" bike stuff

Hi,

When I first started participating in this forum, I thought that getting "dialed in" meant little adjustments to the bike. A little higher here, a little lower there. Maybe a new stem. I know better now. Getting dialed in means trying out pedals, shoes, saddles, miscellaneous equipment, clothing, etc., until you find what works best for you. Oh, and maybe a bike or two while you figure out the kind of riding you prefer.

We've got a small pile growing, so I'd love to know: What do you do with all your perfectly good but "didn't work" stuff?

Cyclist0383 07-05-08 09:46 AM

I usually give things I know I'll never use again to the local guy who organizes races for the neighborhood kids. They can always use spare parts, and I like to see the little guys flying down the road. :)

making 07-05-08 09:55 AM

you need an all the above catagory. Depends on how much it cost, if my wife knows I bought it, likelyhood I might think of something to do with it later, if someone else needs it, and general coolness of the item.

TruF 07-05-08 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by making (Post 7003685)
you need an all the above catagory. Depends on how much it cost, if my wife knows I bought it, likelyhood I might think of something to do with it later, if someone else needs it, and general coolness of the item.

:lol:

I had an "all the above" but changed it to "select more than one answer" I'll see if I can change it.

maddmaxx 07-05-08 10:11 AM

I voted other for "all of the above". I never know what is going to happen with "less than optimum response/performance" hardware. Very often that which doesn't work straight away works better on something else or begins to look really great after sampling a cross section of equivalent parts that are much much worse.

After a while I sell it (cheap), loan it out for others to test or trade it with someone else who has different "less than optimum result" stuff to see if their stuff is better than my stuff.

Put it in a box for someday when you start another project and it deserves a second chance.

Metric Man 07-05-08 10:56 AM

I say you can't have too much stuff...until you move, then your wife has too much stuff. :D

Yen 07-05-08 12:59 PM

"All of the above".

I'm trying to sell my shoes. We're keeping some stuff in case we want/need it one day, or want to sell a bike with the original piece on it. And I'd swap or give something away if someone wanted/needed it more than me.

Hermes 07-05-08 01:11 PM

Anything of value I sell. I cleaned out the garage and organized the bike stuff. I threw out a bunch of obsolete equipment. We have finally transitioned from the old technology to the new. I cannot wait for the new Shimano stuff to come out so that I can do it again. One cannot have too much bike schwagg.

Retro Grouch 07-05-08 01:15 PM

I prefer to swap it for other stuff. The tricky part is finding somebody who wants something that I have who also has something that I want. Once in awhile it happens. I have two pair of old style Ultegra SPD pedals that I traded for other stuff.

DnvrFox 07-05-08 01:24 PM

Sorry. I guess I am just not into the upgrade or change game.

Except for old tires (which are hard for me to throw away - "You never know."), My Hardrock, Lemond BA and Windsor Leeds are all excatly as purchased. I've never changed a pedal, seat, etc., and when the Chain Rings and cogset were replaced on my Hardrock, they put exact replacement parts and the shop did whatever one does with old ruined parts.

So, I don't really have any parts or "didn't work" stuff to worry about. Everything seems to have worked just fine the first time.

cyclinfool 07-05-08 02:01 PM

My bikes are mostly "as built" - I rarely replace anything. I have an old wheelset from my Simoncini (anybody want a traditional mavic wheel set that is beyond trueing?) and an uncomfortable but new saddle from my Specialized and one old speedometer - that's it and this thread will probably get me to ebay the saddle and throw out the wheelset. Now - when I rebuild the Simoncini (hopefully later in the summer) I will have a lot of 12 yo Veloce stuff with about 10K miles on it - that "junk" will probably go in the trash as well.

In general I am a pack rat - but when I clean house, watch out!

qmsdc15 07-05-08 02:07 PM

If you don't like something on your bike, use it until it's worn out, then upgrade.

bkaapcke 07-05-08 02:47 PM

Yup, throw them Kool Stop brake pads away. the person you may give them to won't like the squeal either. Landfill, that's what they are. bk

stapfam 07-05-08 03:11 PM

If I have been conned into buying something that is not good enough -or just doesn't work- I wait until some one needs a repair to their bike. Then all of a sudden I have a fantastic pair of *Bar ends* (insert whatever else you want to get rid of) that will cure their Back ache/ leg strains/ low milage on a ride. Then if They complain that it did not help their problem- then I plead all innocence and as they weren't charged for fitting the parts- they got a good deal and they can now sell it on- or back to me till I can find another Mug.

BluesDawg 07-05-08 03:40 PM

Unlike some others who posted above, I change parts on my bikes quite often. Sometimes it is to replace worn out parts, sometimes to upgrade parts that work but not as well as I would like. Sometimes I'll be changing the style or function of a bike and good parts will be replaced just because they don't fit the bike's new purpose. A pure stock bicycle strikes me as evidence of a lack of imagination. ;)
If the parts are worn out, they go in the trash. If they still have some useful life left in them, I'll keep them in a box or on a shelf. Often these old parts will fit a later build or conversion project. Sometimes they end up being used to replace broken parts on a friend's bike. On rare occasion, like when I'm scrounging for money to pay for a new project, I'll sell off some of the old parts, but I hate to do it and often regret having done it.

RoMad 07-05-08 05:02 PM

I have a pretty good selection of seats and I loan them out to friends who are looking for something different. I don't like to part with them because they may be just what my next bike needs. Same goes for my old but far from worn out pedals, you never know what they might work on. I have started throwing away some old stuff that I will never use. One of my sons sells a lot of stuff on ebay and he is aways happy to help me clean out my old stuff if it is worh at least $10.

Bill Kapaun 07-05-08 05:43 PM

I like to swap for something I can use, but will help out a POOR kid with a freebie, if they're polite. (politeness is more important than wealth to me)
If I can't swap, I tend to sell with very "affordable" prices. I recently had 4 generic (cheap) MB knobby tires on CL for $2 ea. A guy showed up, driving a rather old looking car and wanted all 4. We talked a few minutes, and you could tell that he was proud his kids would rather ride their bikes than play video games! Even though I could use the extra $3, he got them for $5. He got a super deal and I got rid of them. Win-win!
I've benefited from similar situations, where someone else was willing to give a fellow "cyclist" a break.

Bud Bent 07-05-08 06:04 PM

Put it by the curb with a "For Steal" sign on it....

ad6mj 07-05-08 06:55 PM

Often things that don't quite work out on one bike eventually work on another one. When things do get upgraded on the better bikes, the old parts often find their way to upgrade one of the beater bikes.

BCRider 07-05-08 08:11 PM

Some stuff is worth keeping for other projects. As for the rest I've got these two big Rubbermaid containers........

I really need to offer up some of the choice older stuff to the vintage guys since I'll never use it.

Louis 07-05-08 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 7004938)
If the parts are worn out, they go in the trash. If they still have some useful life left in them, I'll keep them in a box or on a shelf. Often these old parts will fit a later build or conversion project. Sometimes they end up being used to replace broken parts on a friend's bike. On rare occasion, like when I'm scrounging for money to pay for a new project, I'll sell off some of the old parts, but I hate to do it and often regret having done it.

+1
I'm always tinkering, and boxes of parts are necessary. It's as much fun as riding. I've haven't had a bike in a shop for repair since having a headset or two installed years ago.

Donegal 07-05-08 08:35 PM

I am one of those "allways tweaking" kind of guys. I started because my primary riding partner is mechanically declined. If I didn't maintain his bike, we would be getting stuck on the side of the road. I won't change the oil in my car, but I love to tinker with my bikes.

Ergo all my friends bikes are adjusted, upgraded and lubed by me. I buy tires 6 at a time now. every spring I have 4 bikes to reshoe. My friend just got a top end tri-bike sent to him by a friend and of course I will have an extra set of wheels to make it all work.

In the last 6 months, I have put 2 saddles, 3 sets of tires, 2 packs of bar tape, and 2 cassettes on friends bikes from my back room supplies. Oh yeah, I finally ran out of the good tubes with the just right stem length.

Red Baron 07-05-08 09:27 PM

Ebay

Puddin 07-05-08 09:53 PM

So much stuff, so few skills

I usually sell, but the price I ask is like giving it away. So far, I've only had bikes and one bike stand to make the bike a stationary bike for indoor use. It assuages my guilt for wasting money if I can pass stuff on, while getting some modicum of the money back. So far, I've sold bikes that cost me no more than $300 for $100.00 on Craigslist. Usually, I try to sell to offset the cost of the new thing I want/need and to make me feel less wasteful. For example, now I want a new bike that costs $830. I never, ever thought I would pay anywhere near that much for a bike. If I can sell my current Townie for $150, that brings the price of the other bike down---in my mind. Maybe, finally, I'll get it right this time and can keep the bike. :lol:

borgagain 07-06-08 08:39 AM

I always find that about a week after I get rid of something, I find a use for it.

I had a new cheap 7 speed chain with no guide ramp thingys (what are they called?) on the outer plates to protect the derailleurs from the rivets and some cheap alloy MTB pedals I bought and decided against for a road bike. Last weekend I got a free Mountain Bike and used them both to replace beat-up and worn-out parts.

I'll probably replace the chain again but it allowed me to get the bike up and running.